Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevier View Post
Thankyou! (though I will be your future dowel sister
Ha ha whoops!

Old 10-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevier View Post
Thankyou Musigensis, Bus-bro, Jaybz! So sorry for my delay in thanks, I missed your responses (I dont seem to get notices). I think that is a great solution Musigensis!

We have decided (and I hope this helps others in the future), to go with:

1) A 1" base layer of Thermacork, which has the same R value as foam board, yet none of the toxicity, and also "breathes" better, so will dry if ever wet.

2) We will use Musigensis' brilliant oak dowel system, along the seams. We will seal the dowels with SafeCoat Hard Seal to protect against moisture damage.

3) Then a 1/4" of PureBond (formaldehyde-free), plywood screwed into the oak dowels, also sealed with SafeCoat Hard Seal.

The Eco Supply Center has been great in answering all of our questions about the Thermacork, and they feel confident 1" can take weight, but to be safe, we'll do the plywood anyway. Will also give me a sense of security with anchoring down our objects.

4) Lastly, 5/16" tongue and groove hardwood, sealed with a non toxic European finishing oil.

Hello we are looking to do a similar floor in our bus and I am wondering how this went? If you could share some pictures or videos if you have them that would be awesome! I am also trying to figure out what the oak dowel system looks like. Thank you!
BusDreamerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:51 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusDreamerRick View Post
Hello we are looking to do a similar floor in our bus and I am wondering how this went? If you could share some pictures or videos if you have them that would be awesome! I am also trying to figure out what the oak dowel system looks like. Thank you!
I don't really have the technique shown in just one place (my build thread is pretty long), but this is where I started on the dowel thing in the back of my bus: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/r...tml#post391014

And this is where I started laying the XPS insulation: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/r...tml#post394886

In words, I basically weld a bunch of wood screws point-up on the floor. I then cut a piece of XPS foam board and press it into place over the screws, which leave indentations in the board. I then pull the board back up and use a 1.25" hole saw with the pilot bit placed into each indentation to drill holes. I then place the XPS back down on the floor and spin 2" pieces of 1.25" diameter oak dowel (with a pre-drilled hole with counterbore in the middle to take the screw) down to the floor through each hole, using a special tool I welded up that is hammered onto the end of each dowel and turned with a ratchet wrench.

I used oak rather than pine because in some places (due to the layout of the plywood on top) I had to run 2 to 4 screws into the dowel instead of just one, and pine dowel is likely to split whereas oak holds together.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Apologies if you mentioned it already but what is the specific type/brand of cork you are planning to use? How does the weight compare to foams? (Heavier obviously, but how much)?
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cork, flooring, foam board insulation, insulation