Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #1

Fridge?

Hi guys!
We are looking to have a solar system, but remaining pretty minimal.
Hoping to have it power a small-ish fridge with freezer and some LED lights, and charge our laptop and phones.
I was curious to know what fridge you guys are using and how they are working for you?

CarolineSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I have a basic 12V system in my bus and the only thing running 110V is my power inverter running a 10.1 Cu Ft fridge from home depot and a power strip for a coffee pot. Lights, stereo, TV, water pump, fans, etc are all 12V.

(2) 100 watt Renogy solar panels and (2) 6V golf cart batteries run everything.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
I have a basic 12V system in my bus and the only thing running 110V is my power inverter running a 10.1 Cu Ft fridge from home depot and a power strip for a coffee pot. Lights, stereo, TV, water pump, fans, etc are all 12V.

(2) 100 watt Renogy solar panels and (2) 6V golf cart batteries run everything.

Wow! that feels promising. Every time i look into it, it seems like I would need about double that. Where are you living most of the time, you must get a lot of sunlight?
CarolineSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
There's a popular guide for building an externally temperature controlled chest freezer into an efficient refrigerator. We more or less used that model... but there are a lot of negatives as well. I recently bought a (much smaller) 12 volt RV refrigerator and consider it an upgrade overall.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I am about to install a 62 qt. Whynter Dual Zone fridge/Freezer. Runs on 110 or 12V. Not the cheapest unit but I have chatted a number of blue water sailors who have them and love them.

https://www.whynter.com/product/whyn...ridge-freezer/

Need to shop prices as they are all over the place. Think I paid about $730 for mine.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
[QUOTE=Tango;288424]I am about to install a 62 qt. Whynter Dual Zone fridge/Freezer. Runs on 110 or 12V. Not the cheapest unit but I have chatted a number of blue water sailors who have them and love them.

Hey Tango,

That looks like a fantastic unit. The solar numbers it needs to run are remarkably low. The concern was its performance in high ambient temperatures but the numbers are still good. The only thing that really concerns me is the manufacturers recomendation not to enclose it. The feelings here is a 12 volt ducted fan set up that ran with the compressor perhaps drawing cool air from the living space and then exhausting it through a automotive HVAC bladder valve might allow one to "cabinet" around it . Thats my thoughts on dealing with the use of this unit on our bus.
Or, God forbid, follow the manufacturers instructions and set it on the counter which is probably your plan.

Really a nice unit

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
20180828_091815.jpg  
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Roger an exhaust fan. Mine is going under my kitchen counter with a computer fan to the outdoors. And the performance, according to those blue water folks I spoke with, is nothing short of amazing. One told me he can come aboard after his boat has been sitting for a couple of weeks in the hundred degree heat here, turn it on and in 30 minutes or less the freezer will keep ice cream solid. I am hoping for something similar. I like ice cream.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
[QUOTE=Tango; I like ice cream.[/QUOTE]

Hah Right from Whynters custumer service rep.

In answering a customers question :This item is not designed for any built-in application. Even with clearance, without circulated airflow, the unit may not cool properly.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Any compressor needs constant air flow when running. Same for a household fridge. Got to have that airspace behind it.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e v8 turbo
Rated Cap: was 72, now 3
Smile my tiny fridge is awesome

i am not into frills and was fence sitting on getting a freezer, would i use it enough to justify the cost and space used?

an RV fridge is a fridge w/sml freezer, but a freezer gives options...can be set to be a fridge or freeze everything and be safer, but take supper out to thaw at breakfast time.

Six months ago a friend gave me a used tiny fridge, worth $30, 115V, a 17" cube! 0 to 5 setting. On 4.5 it freezes water solid! On 2.5 its good for water, yogurt, cheese etc. in the 80F bus, holds 10L, no name, 35Watts measured consumption, surrounded by wood except the back and 1side. runs great.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: Thomas MPV
Engine: Cummins 6BTAA
Rated Cap: 84
Hi good to hear you you want a real fridge,instead of propane. I had a 10 cu. ft Danby full ti
ming with sat TV 42 in. flat screen on eco mode and can do 5-6 days under cloudy weather using 600 watts of panels and 6 8D batteries. I've now upgraded to an 18 cu. ft. and I'm not replenishing the batteries under full sun. I'm in Southern Mexico so I'm putting on another 400 watts this fall. I think the extreme heat in the bus is a large factor in that the fridge is on way more than in Canada. But with the 10 cu. ft fridge I can go forever if it stays sunny.
powderskier is offline   Reply With Quote