Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Furnace while driving?

Been so long since my store bought RV work. Will the older style propane furnaces still work while the coach is moving? And what are folks using for heat today?

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
with a school bus, id just run the engine-heated coolant heaters. with a propane furnace theres no reason you shouldnt be able to run it if you have removed your rear heaters and the back of the bus is a bit chilly for a passenger, but ultimately your diesel engine makes a ton of free heat for driving that you can tap into, then use the RV furnace for when you are parked.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Bus Nut

I'm wanting to remove all but the front heaters. Got one in the middle of the seats on the drivers side. Too rainy to work on it today maybe Monday I'll take a pic. Just wondering what's available in a gas heater or would there be a battery powered option with enough btu to heat this 28 footer. Plan to insulate in case I go north in it. Just don't want to use the engine heat if something less fuel consuming is available. Do they make battery powered baseboard heat?

Old 12-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
IJust don't want to use the engine heat if something less fuel consuming is available.
The engine block heat is "free" in that it is a waste product of the combustion process. Pulling from the batteries, however, will make the alternator run constantly which will put a higher load on the engine, thus using more fuel. And of course propane costs money to burn.

The cheapest (free) method of heating while on the road is to use the engine coolant.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
The engine block heat is "free" in that it is a waste product of the combustion process. Pulling from the batteries, however, will make the alternator run constantly which will put a higher load on the engine, thus using more fuel. And of course propane costs money to burn.

The cheapest (free) method of heating while on the road is to use the engine coolant.
Not only is using the engine coolant the least expensive method of heating the interior, but the factory has conveniently done all the engineering and work for you!
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
If it is due to the unsightly factory heaters u removed, I have seen some people here using modified baseboard heaters spliced into the engine coolant system. They look residential and blend nicely. Personally, i would just re-locate the existing units(no cost), but that is the beauty of this thing.....we get to do OUR WAY! Good Luck.
Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I never used my propane furnace in my class C while moving But there was a few times the wind would blow just right & blowout the flame, My 2 cents worth I think the the wind blowing by would create either enough vacuum or pressure to keep blowing out the flame.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
My Suburban 20k btu LP furnace says Do Not Use in motion as pilot can blow out and create possibility of propane gas filling the "RV"
Suburban NT-20seq
Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
Bus Geek

there are definitely more sighttly coolant heater options... you could buy a ducted hot-rod heater and put the heater unit in a cabinet and then run vents out of the cabinet near the floor where it looks nicer than a bus heater... or even mount the unit underneath allowing you to move your coolant lines underneath instead of inside the bus.. you arent gonna get much heat from a battery... my chevy volt had a 6000 watt heater in it.. and in temps below 20 degrees it could just keep a car interior warm when driving... if you are going to use a minisplit for A/C, you might be able to get some heat from it using battery or generator and its not below zero outside...

the RV campers I have driven had engine heater units in the back.. they were ducted into the kick panels of kitchen cabinets if i rememnber right... next to the fiurnace ducts.. or they ,ay have been the same ducts.. cant remember.. I do know it was different than the normal furnace.. never k ew you couldnt run the furnace ion the highway.. makes sense though.
-Christopher
Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Ok I kinda figured mobile furnace use would probably be a bust. So if I keep and relocate said heaters, would a block heater and a circulation pump keep em warm when not running ? Maybe enough to eliminate need for furnace? Also thinking of propane burner with formed coil like on a hot water pressure washer maybe t-stat operated?

Old 12-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
Ok I kinda figured mobile furnace use would probably be a bust. So if I keep and relocate said heaters, would a block heater and a circulation pump keep em warm when not running ? Maybe enough to eliminate need for furnace? Also thinking of propane burner with formed coil like on a hot water pressure washer maybe t-stat operated?

you can definitely install the likes of a webasto-style heater and a circulation pump.. you can set up valves so you can circulate coolant just inside the bus or also circulate it through the engine to use as a pre-warm for your engine in cold-weather starts. there are many different BTU ratings of those type coolant heaters on the market. the most common ones seem to be 15,000 - 20,000 BTU.. they are made larger as well. how much you need depends on how much insulating you will do and how cold of weather you plan to camp in.

I have a new one in a box ive not yet installed.. (yeah great huh its december and it still sits in its box..).. so i dont have any real data on how much fuel it uses, how much heat i can get from it.. I know in the past RV furnaces have al;ways been a source of frustration for many RVers, but I dont know the reliability of a diesel heater either.. alot depends on how good your fuel is.. crappy fuel is an issue with those heating their homes with fuel oil furnaces..

others who have webastos or drive route busses with them can comment on how reliable they are..
-Christopher