Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
Has anybody installed a Dickinson Diesel Stove?

Haven't posted in a long time. 2020 was a bitch, but I've started back up on my conversion progress in 2021 by buying and storing many of the things I know I need. One of the things I purchased was a Dickinson Bristol diesel stove (used $500). I have always intended to build my bus out as a single fuel camper, so a diesel stove was always the answer, and after much review, I went with a Dickinson vs a Wallas/Webasto.

One of the downsides of choosing the Dickinson, is that I now have to ensure the chimney is properly drafting. Has anyone in here run a Dickinson, and if so, what sort of setup did you run, and how is it working.

Bristol Diesel Cook Stove | Dickinson Marine

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Bristol.jpg  

Old 02-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
User @ComfortEagle installed one: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f51/d...all-29300.html

Does anybody know if the "@" thing does anything on this forum, like send a notification to that user? I don't think it does, but I dunno.

Edit: oh, didn't realize that's a cook stove and not a heater. Sorry, maybe ComfortEagle's thread has some useful info anyway.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:56 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Does it make your burgers taste like you used to much charcoal starter fluid?
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:08 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Ill definately check out that build regardless of whether its a stive or heater. It shouldn't make your food taste like anything. Its not an open flame stove like a propane burner, its more like a griddle, like how a wood stove is. They are the go to for boats in the pacific northwest.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:32 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

500 dollars was a smoking deal. That's a 2000 dollar stove. Keep us posted as to the install. And maybe how it works too.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:53 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
500 dollars was a smoking deal. That's a 2000 dollar stove. Keep us posted as to the install. And maybe how it works too.
Thanks, it was a smoking deal. I've actually been hunting for a used one for several years as I was not ready to stomach the price tag for a new one. One came up on CL in Washington (I live in Houston, and my bus is in Cloudcroft, NM), but I've got old Marine buddies everywhere, and one of them was available to pick it up. Still need to have it freighted to me which will probably run be several $100, but it's still a deal that I don't see very often. It won't be installed until this summer most likely. I'm not in a rush to build my bus, just trying to make sure I do it the way I want it and don't cut any corners.

From my research:
- I need to ensure I have sufficient length on the chimney. Similar to a wood stove, the Dickinson diesel stoves work by draft, vs the Wallas/Webasto which is forced air. Dickinson says 6-8 ft for this model. Currently I'm thinking I'll run it through the ceiling, and have a detachable stack above that I can easily take down when traveling. After installation, this may be determined to be not necessary (if the intake fan makes up for the draft), but if I plan for it now, at least I won't be surprised. I'd like to see wood stove chimneys similar in design. Gonna have to search that one out a bit.

- These stoves are designed as boat stoves, and adjusted to run at sea level. This may cause issues when traveling at higher elevations due to lower oxygen levels. The barometric dampener which Dickinson recommends will help with this. Additionally, these stoves come with a inlet fan to assist with draft. Hopefully between these two features, and some tweaking/experience with the diesel valve, I SHOULD be able to run it at most elevations. I've found scant information about these stoves outside of the boating community, so unless someone turns up here, I think I'm on my own.

- I plan on piping the hot water coil to the potable hot water in my water heater (a Kuuma 6 gal, which will be modified to run 12v instead of the stock 120v), so in addition to the electric hot water coil, the engine coolant heat exchanger (built into the Kuuma), I will also generate hot water every time I cook. Redundancy is the name of the game. I may add an additional Webasto or similar coolant heater if I can find a used one for the right price. I see APUs (Generator/Coolant heaters/etc... from the trucking industry) on CL and FB Marketplace pretty regularly, so if I find the right one, I'm ready to pounce.

- The original plan was to supply the stove with diesel from the main tank with a small pump, but the more I consider it, I'm thinking of utilizing a "day tank", this would mean I would only have to run the pump when the tank was empty, vs running the pump whenever I use the stove. I would also be able to fill the tank separately, so I could use kerosene or stove oil, if I needed/wanted to. I'm curious what people with diesel heaters (as I haven't found any with these stoves yet) have to say about their own experiences in this matter.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

I have used uship before to have things moved to me before. Always a good experience. Check out fuel cells used in race cars for your day tank. I use them for my chinaspaecher diesel heaters. Aluminum and well made. Most have fuel gauge senders and remote fill. I'm in Carlsbad a few hours away if you ever need help.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Those diesel stoves always came with a waft of diesel smell, which smelled really good on a cold morning.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: Cummins 5.9 common rail
I have a Dickinson Alaska installed on my sailboat and I love it. However, for my bus I’m looking seriously at the Toyotami 300.

https://www.laserheating.com/toyotom...toyostove.html

It runs on diesel and will run cleaner than the Dickinson.

I’d welcome any comments
John 321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:35 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
Those diesel stoves always came with a waft of diesel smell, which smelled really good on a cold morning.
We've got a diesel VW Bug. I always think it smells like french fries when it starts up. Wife says I'm crazy.. ::shrugs::
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:36 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1958
Coachwork: Kenworth Pacific
Chassis: CT 73 E
Engine: 350 Cummins. 855cu in
Rated Cap: 73
Love my Dickinson's, it feels like wood heat when its pumping out heat. It will make it 85deg. in the bus cranked up on 10 when it is 18deg. outside. Great for cooking or baking. The only thing is I don't use it if its warmer than 40deg. out or I need to open a window or two on lowest setting but would not trade it for anything. Been living in the bus for 17 years.
1958 Kenworth Pacific pusher, 350 Cummins big cam with 9 speed Roadranger with overdrive. Get the stove, you will not regret it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5757.jpg   IMG_5758.jpg  
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:33 AM   #12
Bus Geek

great setup there!

do you know the model, is it still sold?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:03 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdalfaro View Post
Haven't posted in a long time. 2020 was a bitch, but I've started back up on my conversion progress in 2021 by buying and storing many of the things I know I need. One of the things I purchased was a Dickinson Bristol diesel stove (used $500). I have always intended to build my bus out as a single fuel camper, so a diesel stove was always the answer, and after much review, I went with a Dickinson vs a Wallas/Webasto.

One of the downsides of choosing the Dickinson, is that I now have to ensure the chimney is properly drafting. Has anyone in here run a Dickinson, and if so, what sort of setup did you run, and how is it working.

Bristol Diesel Cook Stove | Dickinson Marine

Thanks
Wow. I'm jealous It wouldn't really fit into my current plans, but still, that is a great find, especially at such a good price.
Beirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:14 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirdo View Post
Wow. I'm jealous It wouldn't really fit into my current plans, but still, that is a great find, especially at such a good price.
Thanks. My goal has always been single fuel, and it was a choice between a Dickinson, and a Wallas / Webasto, and I felt the "simpler" design was the better option. Then it was a waiting game while I searched CL, FB, etc... If I lived closer to the PNW, I could shop at boating parts stores, but I've always known that if I wanted to fill my bus with "premium" parts, I'd need to put away the money for when the deal came available. Just happened to work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Love my Dickinson's...
WOW!!! Thank you so much for the long term review! How long have you had the Dickinson in your bus? I love your setup. My plan is to stick to diesel, but I can appreciate where your propane stove would come in handy. I'll definitely have to consider how my cooking will be done it warmer temperatures. My bus will have all it's windows, so maybe that will be an option...

What a unique model you have. How long is your chimney? Have you had any issues with drafting at higher elevations? Do you have any tips for the installation or usage? I've seen so few of these in buses, but since I found out about them, I've always felt they are almost the ideal cooking appliance for our buses, and anything you can share about your experiences is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I was thinking about getting a dickinson newport propane heater p12000 as a back up to a hydronic system powered by my d10 espar. I like the easy venting of the p12000 with the combustion air being separate from the living space.

Now I am thinking that one of the dickenson diesel heaters may be a better option as they have a higher btu output than the propane and have the option of a water heating coil. The dickinson diesel heater may be better than running the espar as it would be quieter, more reliable and possibly use less electricity. The other problem with the espar is the older model I have may have difficulties running at altitude. I would think that one of the dickenson diesel heaters set up with a barometric damper should have enough adjustment. The only inconvience is the damper would have to be readjusted every time your parked at a different elevation.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I was thinking about getting a dickinson newport propane heater p12000 as a back up to a hydronic system powered by my d10 espar. I like the easy venting of the p12000 with the combustion air being separate from the living space.

Now I am thinking that one of the dickenson diesel heaters may be a better option as they have a higher btu output than the propane and have the option of a water heating coil. The dickinson diesel heater may be better than running the espar as it would be quieter and possibly use less electricity. The other problem with the espar is the older model I have may have difficulties running at altitude. I would think that one of the dickenson diesel heaters set up with a barometric damper should have enough adjustment. The only inconvience is the damper would have to be readjusted every time your parked at a different elevation.

Ted
I played around with the thought of adding a diesel Newport, but since I need a stove anyways, I bought the used Bristol. I also purchased a Webasto DBW 2010 Scholastic which I'll be installing as well for hydronic heating and piping to the potable water heater. I said earlier I was ready to pounce, and I did. Found one new in box with the complete kit and enclosure box for $1600 on ebay. What all is hooked up to your Espar?
Old 02-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1958
Coachwork: Kenworth Pacific
Chassis: CT 73 E
Engine: 350 Cummins. 855cu in
Rated Cap: 73
Dickinson Stove

Quote:
Thanks. My goal has always been single fuel, and it was a choice between a Dickinson, and a Wallas / Webasto, and I felt the "simpler" design was the better option. Then it was a waiting game while I searched CL, FB, etc... If I lived closer to the PNW, I could shop at boating parts stores, but I've always known that if I wanted to fill my bus with "premium" parts, I'd need to put away the money for when the deal came available. Just happened to work out.

WOW!!! Thank you so much for the long term review! How long have you had the Dickinson in your bus? I love your setup. My plan is to stick to diesel, but I can appreciate where your propane stove would come in handy. I'll definitely have to consider how my cooking will be done it warmer temperatures. My bus will have all it's windows, so maybe that will be an option...

What a unique model you have. How long is your chimney? Have you had any issues with drafting at higher elevations? Do you have any tips for the installation or usage? I've seen so few of these in buses, but since I found out about them, I've always felt they are almost the ideal cooking appliance for our buses, and anything you can share about your experiences is GREATLY appreciated.
The stove has been in the bus since 2001. I've had no problems with with drafting, I leave a fresh air vent partly open by the drivers feet when stove is being used. Never used it at high elevation above 5400ft. I have a 40gal tank mounted between the frame rails dedicated for the stove but it is plumbed with a pump to transfer to main tank if needed. I use off-road diesel for the stove (no road tax). The chimney cap is one that is used on a boat and works well in up to 50mph gusts.
Attached Thumbnails
0222211302_HDR.jpg   0222211300_HDR.jpg   0222211259a.jpg   0222211246.jpg  
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
I played around with the thought of adding a diesel Newport, but since I need a stove anyways, I bought the used Bristol. I also purchased a Webasto DBW 2010 Scholastic which I'll be installing as well for hydronic heating and piping to the potable water heater. I said earlier I was ready to pounce, and I did. Found one new in box with the complete kit and enclosure box for $1600 on ebay. What all is hooked up to your Espar?
You got a great deal on both the Bristol and schoolastic.

Currently my espar is not connected to any coolant lines. I'm guessing it was set up to preheat the engine or for heating the interior. I'm guessing it stopped working and the previous owner unhooked it. I'm hoping I can get it working without too much expense. If I can get it working it will heat domestic water and an infloor system.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:12 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I have a 40gal tank mounted between the frame rails... I use off-road diesel for the stove (no road tax). The chimney cap is one that is used on a boat and works well in up to 50mph gusts.
Have you had any issues with law enforcement commenting on your use of off-road diesel? It appears that your chimney doesn't reach the recommended length (I think 6ft or so), but you've confirmed you've had no draft issues. Can you give a rough estimate on the length. I'm trying to decide whether I should plan on an extended detachable chimney above the roof, but yours is rather short (which is much more desirable).
Old 02-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #20
Bus Geek

I'm curious about the insurance underwriters. Comprehensive with a negotiated agreed value?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chimney, dickinson, diesel, draft, stove