Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Re: HEAT

I transport my tank inside the back of the bus. I'd rather put it underneath the bus but I havn't decided how I want to do that and with my halfbus where is the bigger question. The only realestate on the outside of the framerail I have left is on the right side next to my fuel tank and at some point I want to replace the 35gallon tank with a bigger one such as a 100 gallon tank. On the good side for me the only thing I use propane for is a skillet grill and my water heater.

As for my hose from the tank to the water heater I found the exact fit hose with no adapters needed at a local rv store.

wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #22
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Does that run right off the 20lb. bottle like a Mr. Heater or is there a separate regulator?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #23
Bus Nut

I had to buy a regulator also. It's the same as a grill regulator, I was reading in the manual that came with the heater and it said I need a regulator between 11 - 14" (I think) W.C. The regulator has a big plastic threaded end on it that I can screw onto the propane tank by hand, just like a gas grill.

I used pipe dope stuff at the connection from the regulator to the 5' rubber hose, which has a flare fitting with a rubber piece inside - on the heater end. Which is good so I can take it on and off easily with a wrench.

The inner diameter of the rubber hose is the smallest of in the setup. The guy at one of the stores I was looking for a line at was concerned about it not flowing enough propane to feed the heater. I figured I'd give it a try and see what happens, it worked fine for the short time I tried it out. I guess the real test will be when I use it for a longer period of time.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #24
wtd
Bus Nut

I mounted mine under the bus. Couldn't see any reason to get to it from inside the bus, tank's on all the time, since I use gas for cooking.
I just made a 3 sided box (with a bottom) and bolted it to the side rib and the angle iron at the bottom of the skirt and a piece of allthread at the front through the floor joist for a little more support.

It's just as wide as the tank so it doesn't rock fore and aft and just a little deeper and a little taller to allow some room to tip it in.
Screwed a Harbor Freight cargo strap to the back wall, used a large fender washer so it wouldn't pull through and there's
a 1x2 cleat in the front at the bottom to keep it from slippin' out like a short kid under a seat belt.
I didn't see the need for some great metal cabinet with welding and bolting and stuff - most travel trailers have these things sittin' right out on the tongue so a great tank protection scheme isn't really neccessary, just needed something that would make sure the bus and the tank were in the same place when you stop. With no front there's plenty of ventilation.

In the summer I use one hose - just to the stove -the hose goes up through a hole in the floor. The tank's right under the kitchen - and the hole filled with that expanding foam stuff.

In the winter I put a Tee on the tank and run another hose up through the floor with expanding foam stuff for the heater (Mr. Heater). In the summer I take out the heater and the hose and and squirt foam in the hole.

You do have to slide under there to change the tank, but I've not seen that as much of a problem. My last tank change was in March this year (I'm fulltime) and I should have to change it here pretty soon, since I'm going to start needing heat here. During the winter it's a tank a week.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Well I finally tested the capabilities of this heater. We took my bus camping last weekend and it was freezing cold.. Down to 5 degrees Fahrenheit (-15 degrees Celsius) at night. It seemed to be working great at first.. There was a mini party goin on in the bus with about 15-20 people, it was nice and warm. Then bedtime came...

We froze our asses off all night. Down near the floor the bus was probably 20 degrees and near the ceiling it was about 80. I had a heavy blanket - which several times in the night froze itself to the wall of the bus. Is there any fix for this other than completely starting over with my bus and insulating it better? I'm thinking maybe a few fans pushing the warm air down for better circulation.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #26
wtd
Bus Nut

Same here. I put thermometers at the bunk level and about 12" below the ceiling.
65 at the bunk level, 82 near the ceiling.
I tried a fan, but didn't like them running all night - used a lotta battery, even put it on a timer, half hour on, half hour off.
I finally took the simplest way out - raised the bunk 15" to the 82 level.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Sounds like you weren't drinking enough! Drink more and you'll stay warm all night!

Seriously though, maybe you could insulate your floor without having to rip everything out. Just cut the pieces to fit! Easier said than done. How about a propane furnace and a couple of fans to keep the air moving around the bus?
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9

Sounds like another heater, as long as your winter camping trips are long weekends or shorter, and a decent 0 to 20 degree sleeping bag will warm up the bus nicely. Also, in my experience, its nice to add a friendly companion willing to share their "heat." My kero tower heater gives 23,000btu for 12 hrs on 1.9 gallons. That currently costs me about $7. It doesn't keep my entire uninsulated TC2000 toasty, but it has worked okay so far. Its a lot easier for me to arrive with an interior heated by the stock coolant heaters and maintain the heat than it is to warm up a metal uninsulated skoolie when it is COLD. To wool socks, good drink, and good company!
beekay is offline   Reply With Quote