Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Heater delete coolant hose

I just picked up the coolant hose in the picture. I'm looking to remove the two under seat heaters and the two 1" lines that run through my cab. I have a Webasto coolant heater with a booster pump to draw coolant from my rear engine and cycle it through my dash heat exchangers and also preheat the engine.

Can anyone recommend a good method to insulate and hang the new lines under the bus? I was thinking about running them along the inside of the frame, if u decided to add under storage boxes they'll be out of the way.

I'm also having trouble finding which coolant i should put back into the system after I've flushed it. I've got a Cummins 8.3L.Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1601429557819.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	49445

aswallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I will be doing the same thing. Curious to know what coolant to use. Mine is green currently. For my line relocation, I will be sleeving the rubber hose inside PVC pipe that can be strapped with metal clips under the bus. The PVC will keep it straight and semi protected.
Where did you find the coolant line? I found some silicone line but from my research it should be avoided due to slow permeation coolant loss.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
Skoolie

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DAC-80319

I heard someone talk this type up and the reviews i read agreed. My local shop could only get this in partly used 25' boxes from like 5 different stores. I ordered this Monday the 28th at like 10pm and it's due to arrive Wednesday the 30th. I'm pretty excited about the price and shipping speed.

I thought about the pvc idea but I'm reluctant for two reasons. If i get a hole or leak unexpectedly it'll be near impossible to find in the pipe unless it's at the very end. If i need to relocate the lines by a few inches to run a new fuel line or drop a bolt through the frame and i don't want to hit the hose I'll have the flexibility.

Unless someone says otherwise I'll probably go every 18"-24" with hangers after wrapping it in foam pipe insulation. I really don't know what kind of hanger to use so i was going to walk into the auto store and see what/how much they had on their shelves. My backup plan for hangers was either a metal or plastic pipe hanger that they sell by the roll with holes in it. One screw and i can adjust the slack in the hanger.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
pipe hangers...

Look up something called "adel clamp" use with sheet metal screw. Yes, to putting foam pipe insulation around the hoses.... yes it is going to make leak detection more difficult. adel clamps are not cheap but will work well.

Plumb the lines so that the booster pump is pushing coolant through the heater cores,,,, not pulling it. I have a 90,000 webasto in my bus.... If you did not know webasto makes remotes and timers for controls .... these are add on pieces.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:18 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I wouldn't worry about locating leaks. You are only talking about 10-20' of sleeving thats open on both ends. Your hose should not leak at any point other than the exposed ends. If it did leak, you'd just have to pull it out and replace it. Living in AZ, I can see my hoses just sag from the extreme heat which is why I will most likely sleeve it in PVC.
Thanks for the Summit Link! I ordered two rolls myself a moment ago.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:21 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
heres the thing about leaks.. coolant hoses rarely leak in continuous lengths.. Air-conditioniong hoses are run under busses all the time and the ydont leak.. except at the jopints or where they end up rubbing something they shouldnt.

putting them in insulation and protecting from rubbing on metal items seems to me the way to go.. I had thought ablout putting them in pipe or conbduit until I started realizing that rubber A/C hoses are all over the place under busses and last for many years without issue..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Curious why you guys aren't using the hose that you took out when deleting the heaters from the inside? I still haven't decided if I'm going to run hoses back up to the front, but if I do, it will be inside pvc conduit.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Curious why you guys aren't using the hose that you took out when deleting the heaters from the inside? I still haven't decided if I'm going to run hoses back up to the front, but if I do, it will be inside pvc conduit.
The hoses in my bus are close to 20 years old and i would imagine that's close to end of reliable life for rubber tubing. If less than $200 worth of hose and fittings buys another 20 years (provided i still have the bus) then i would call that money well spent.

I thought about closing the forward runs off until i found my in line coolant heater that can preheat the engine for me during cold mornings. While the pump and burner are too loud to use to heat living space it still puts out plenty enough heat to cover the driver area.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I removed my rear heaters but ended up keeping the driver's seat heater and all the dash heaters....I plan on leaving the hose as is and building my interior around them.

I know it's lazy but those hoses are expensive and I need the space under my bus for other things like tank drains etc.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswallie View Post
The hoses in my bus are close to 20 years old and i would imagine that's close to end of reliable life for rubber tubing. If less than $200 worth of hose and fittings buys another 20 years (provided i still have the bus) then i would call that money well spent.

I thought about closing the forward runs off until i found my in line coolant heater that can preheat the engine for me during cold mornings. While the pump and burner are too loud to use to heat living space it still puts out plenty enough heat to cover the driver area.

im restoring a 1978 Superior.. I just took the channel apart so I could install a Mid-heater that was optional.. my hoses in that chaseway are good-year and are dated 1977... no leaks.. they were still plenty full of coolant..
Old 09-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im restoring a 1978 Superior.. I just took the channel apart so I could install a Mid-heater that was optional.. my hoses in that chaseway are good-year and are dated 1977... no leaks.. they were still plenty full of coolant..
Isn't the saying "they don't make 'em like they use to"? That's actually very reassuring that these hoses have the potential to last long term like that. If i hadn't already bought everything to move forward I'd debate using the old ones but the new hoses are due to come in today.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #12
Bus Geek

they sure dont make em like they used to... those Superiors were made in Lima ohio.. every one of them got fully galvanized.. every inch of it... they didnt rust for a very long time.. I bought mine out of oregon and its truly pretty much rust-free even at its age now..

-Christopher
Old 09-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #13
Bus Nut

My interior hoses have dry cracking. AZ climate is different on vehicles. Although we don't get much rust, rubber, paint and interiors degrade and can make a 6 year old vehicle look like a 20 year old one from the midwest or east.
Aside from that, I do not want to chance a hose failure and have coolant on the inside finished bus. I'll build it once and not take it apart!
Old 10-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Those replacement Dayton hoses from Summit are really nicely made. They have a thin inner poly liner sandwiched between your standard rubber hose with the same nylon braiding. This thing will outlast my bus. So I have spent the last couple of days removing the hoses and disconnecting the heater wiring. The wiring had evidence of burned connections and splices along the way and the hose was at the end of its life. There was also splices made on the hose and they used threaded AN fittings!! Surprisingly it held up. No sooner did I loosen the clamp did the coolant start pissing out. I decided to replace all the existing front section heater hoses but that's gonna be a challenge. I ordered new poly pipe insulation to replace the original which is on its last legs. While under the bus, I pulled out the compressors and found one had a broken mounting flange. I put a bottle jack to support the weight of the engine to remove the AC bracket which I may save to do a secondary alternator. They had welded on bolts which did nothing and used scrap hardware with no washers. Sometimes I wonder about the maintenance department and how some think they are the ultimate mechanical masters. I found Romex house wiring that they used to power up the compressor clutches with maybe 15 butt splices along the way. All in all, I have become very personal with my bus placing my hands all over her undercarriage!
I have a thermal heat shield sleeve to go over the one hose that goes to the block as it is about 1/2" from the exhaust pipe below the turbo. Can't believe it hasn't popped its top long ago.
Saturday will be reassembly day.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5005.jpg   IMG_5012.jpg   IMG_5001.jpg   IMG_5002.jpg  
Old 10-28-2020, 11:03 PM   #15
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
All in all, I have become very personal with my bus placing my hands all over her undercarriage!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201028-235743_Brave.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	50501
Sorry, I just couldn't resist...
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #16
Bus Nut

So I began running the coolant lines under the bus. I gave up on the idea of sleeving them in PVC due to space constraints but did put new foam insulation over them. I didn't run them inside the frame since the rear engine setup and components keep the hoses from having proper radius turns and other obstacalia. I have found a path that runs them tight to the outer chassis with a path that runs alongside the rear wheels and straight to the front.
Need to find a way to strap them up. The one hose was about 1/4" away from the turbo's exhaust down pipe so I put a piece of high temp sleeve over it. The original hose also had an abrasion cut that was about to rupture from rubbing against the exhaust clamp. Much to figure out to make it bullet proof including some hard plastic sleeve to prevent future abrasions at some critical points on the new run locations.
I feel like I am in unchartered waters here as I could not find anyone who has relocated the lines under the bus. I do want to keep the front heaters for defrost and I know many here just loop the hoses and delete all the heaters. I almost went that route but decided I have to make this work.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
Skoolie

Here's the aftermath of my protect. I used a couple of brass 90's to make the turns by my coolant heater and tried into the old tubing by the front heat exchanger because i really wasn't feeling busting my knuckles on changing it out at the time. If i run into issues I know exactly where it'll be and i still have hose enough to fix it.

These are the clamps i ended up using. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QSWFZHY...ing=UTF8&psc=1Attachment 50607Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_173619.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	50608Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_173641.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	50609Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_173707.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	50610
Old 11-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Looks good! I didn't want to put any splices which is why I just went with two long lengths of hoses direct from the trans cooler and the engine to the front heater. Did you end up replacing the hoses at the front heaters or just kept the original and spliced into them?
Old 11-02-2020, 05:56 AM   #19
Skoolie

I kept two roughly four foot legends of the old lines right there in front. I'm not a fan of keeping them but they were in decent enough shape, i was running out of daylight, we were on a borrowed lot and i still had more to do so we tied in.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:15 AM   #20
Bus Geek

looks good.. as for running hoses under the bus ive been back and forth on it however all of the air conditioning hoses run under the bus and the only thing that ever kills them is when they rub on something or an O-ring leaks (not something you have in heater hoses)..

one thing for sure thoiugh is the clamps will need re-tighterned at least once afyer you drive the bus a month or so with heat / cool cycles of the hoses.. after that they generally will stay for years..