Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Heater Short Cycling Advice

Greetings all you fine folks.

Having an issue with my 40K BTU RV furnace in my bus short cycling, at a 45 degree outdoor temp (t-stat set at 60), it will run for about 4 1/2mins get it super hot in there then shut off for about 20mins, and in that 20 mins it starts to get pretty cold in there. The is repeats over again slightly annoying to say the least.

I had an old guy tell me the trick to keeping any RV warm is a low amount of heat all the time. Something a WAVE style heater would do or one of those Chinese diesel heaters.

What would you think would give me a more stable temp.

1. Rip out the RV propane rig and install diesel heater at 5K BTU might be too small in a 40ft bus in Montana. Don't look forward to the work)

2. Leave propane RV rig in place and install wave 6 heater under current T-stat (see photo) don't like that ideal as it lacks a T-stat but follows the old guys advice.

3. Remove the 42K BTU RV rig and install a 25K BTU version, with maybe a better t-stat. I vote for this but will is solve my problem.

4. Maybe it's all a waste and because I have all of my windows and stock celling in place, I will keep feeling those wild temp swings. Or maybe my poor vent placement is an issue too.

What would you guys do?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0672.jpg   IMG_0446.jpg  

bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Does it shutdown if you move the tstat to a higher temp too?

That looks like a 12v unit to me, are you getting the proper voltage? Low voltage makes them go wonky or not run at all. Maybe charge you batteries up if that is where it gets its supply voltage. I have one that won't fire up without a well charged battery.

John
Old 03-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
John, thanks. Yes the voltage and etc is ok, it’s not shutting off just randomly, it’s being told to by the T stat. If I turn up the T stat up it just boiling hot in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Does it shutdown if you move the tstat to a higher temp too?

That looks like a 12v unit to me, are you getting the proper voltage? Low voltage makes them go wonky or not run at all. Maybe charge you batteries up if that is where it gets its supply voltage. I have one that won't fire up without a well charged battery.

John
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
If the tstat is working fine then it might be located in a poor position, too hot in other words. When that area cools off then the furnace starts up. Might want to relocate it to a cooler area, away from ductwork.
Could be your bus is to tight in that the heat is being retained longer than in a leaky old bus or rv.
Just continue experimenting I guess bit the tstat should be checked against a known working one I think.

John