Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Heating options

Pardon me if this is a beaten to death subject but not only am I new to skoolie (have a bus now 1 week) but haven’t figured out the search options on the site. I see discussions about propane heat being the source, or significant contributor, to interior condensation. I don’t see that mentioned in regards to the Chinese diesel heaters. My original thought was to run propane for hot water, stove/oven, back up for a 3way frig and heat. I don’t understand how propane heat can produce condensation. And perhaps that condensation problem is also present in a diesel heater but not discussed. Is there somewhere I can be pointed to so as to read more about this? Or can some kind thermal engineer explain it...at the “poets and lovers” level to an educated medical professional?

Romoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:16 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Propane heaters that get their combustion air from and exhaust to outside the bus don't deposit moisture in the bus. Propane heaters that get their air for combustion from within the bus and exhaust to the inside of the bus(like Mr Buddy and other "catalytic" heaters) do produce moisture in the bus as a product of combustion.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

To add on, both diesel and propane are hydrocarbons (hydrogen and carbon chains). Both combine with oxygen to create heat, carbon dioxide and water. So if you burn either in a room, you will have condensation in the room (plus you might suffocate when the oxygen is used up, and you might get carbon monoxide poisoning as well). If you burn it through an isolated air flow outside the room and the heat is transferred through a heat exchanger, then your room will get warm without condensation (or suffocation), as the reaction above takes place outside the room.
danamano is offline   Reply With Quote