Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

How do I install the stand pipe for my Webasto without removing the tank?

I'm currently learning about the stand pipe install process, but I've only ever seen people adding the stand pipe to the top of the tank. Given that we have a fuel pump (as opposed to somehow using gravity), and a stand pipe with a flexible line, why not just carefully drill a hole in the side of the tank?

Debris is the only thing I can see being an issue. However, if the tank is steel, I can use a magnet to collect the debris and carefully remove it. If I drill a dent, clean it, then drill a bit deeper, clean it, etc, then I could theoretically prevent debris in the tank.

So, is there an easier way to do this? (Ex. Cut out on the floor, stick something down the fuel port to block debris while drilling, etc.) I don't want to drain the tank, and I don't have an easy way to remove it. Plus, it's a major hassle.

ManWithNoBrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E-350; 4x4 Minibus
Engine: 351c.i.
If you go with drilling a hole, just grab a shop vac and keep the tip of the vacuum hose near the tip of the drill to suck up chips before they have a chance to fall in. It won't get 100% of 'em but dang close.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:50 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBüs View Post
If you go with drilling a hole, just grab a shop vac and keep the tip of the vacuum hose near the tip of the drill to suck up chips before they have a chance to fall in. It won't get 100% of 'em but dang close.
Is there an alternative to drilling a hole? Not sure if I'm missing something. If I can install it without cutting up critical parts of my bus, that'd be much more preferable.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Here's a video I made on that very subject - hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/R3kMql1eiv0
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithNoBrows View Post
Is there an alternative to drilling a hole? Not sure if I'm missing something. If I can install it without cutting up critical parts of my bus, that'd be much more preferable.
Your tank may have unused bung fittings, which are plugged...but that's not super common. There are some pick-up tube units I've seen used, which essentially insert a new small tube inside the existing fuel pick-up fitting...sort of like a tee with an inner tube. But I've always added a new pick-up tube, personally. Whatever you do, come in from the top - not the side or bottom of the tank - for safety.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Whatever you do, come in from the top - not the side or bottom of the tank - for safety.
I get that the bottom could be unsafe if it strikes the ground, but why is it unsafe to put it on the side? (FYI, I'm planning on putting it near the top on the side unless I have to access the top.)
Old 12-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Here's a video I made on that very subject - hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/R3kMql1eiv0
That's perfect! I was trying to find out if busses usually have them or not. I saw someone else working on (I think) a Sprinter and he had one, so I knew about the T on the air hose.

Do you know if most busses have a nice large gap above the tank like that? I mean, I'm hoping mine will have a plate like that that I can just remove, but I don't thow if I'll get that lucky or if I'll need to make one.

When I do my floor, I'll need to make a cover to fit over that so it's accessible if I ever need access again, though. Shouldn't be difficult as mine will be plywood and peel and stick, with some insulation in between the floor joists.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I get that the bottom could be unsafe if it strikes the ground, but why is it unsafe to put it on the side? (FYI, I'm planning on putting it near the top on the side unless I have to access the top.)
Just for the same reason as the bottom, essentially. It's bad form to have a fuel line or fitting below the potential level of the fuel. If the fitting broke or the line cracked, fuel would drain out and create a fire hazard. Not that people don't install fuel fittings in the bottom...I replaced a tank that had one, but that was on a boat...but it's not the best plan.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Do you know if most busses have a nice large gap above the tank like that? I mean, I'm hoping mine will have a plate like that that I can just remove, but I don't thow if I'll get that lucky or if I'll need to make one.
It seems like most school or transit bus shops cut a hole in the floor and add a plate, for access to the fuel tank. Those may also come from the manufacturer like that? But I see them in buses all the time and they appear to be done after the fact, for access to the fuel gauge sender and/or a fuel pump (if there's a pump there). It saves dropping the tank, so it seems to be a common thing.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:04 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
I tried to use one of the unused holes in the top but found that I couldn't find a bushing adapter between the threads of the hole and the Webasto fuel tap. Instead I got a tank fitting off of Amazon, drilled a hole in the top of the tank, and used a magnet to get any metal shavings out of the tank. https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/p...tml#post424438
DO NOT DRILL WHERE I DID. It turns out that the metal of the tank around the fuel pump is double thick (further down in the thread). If you just drill through the single wall of the tank you should be able to just use the fitting supplied by Webasto.

https://www.instagram.com/pilgrim_days/
DrDanger is offline   Reply With Quote