Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #1

Year: 1984
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel
How do you remove the passenger heaters in a 1984 Crown?

We just drove home our new to-be skoolie, a 1984 Crown, two days ago. The vehicle was already partially converted, so all the seats have been taken out and a wood stove and sink with kitchen cabinets/countertops have all already been installed.

Our main obstacle besides the wheel wells in terms of designing the rest of the space is the passenger floor heaters. The previous owner left them in, and I'm assuming it's probably a huge pain in the ass to remove them. Can anyone give me a link to a tutorial or explain what is involved in removing them? Neither my partner nor I have much mechanical / plumbing / electrical knowledge, but we are quick learners. Thanks!

SequoiaSempervirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
There's a few crown gurus here that will be along shortly. It can't be that difficult to do. Messy yes but difficult no
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I have been through the removal of floor heaters on both of my Crowns. They are plumbed to a pair of steel pipes that run the length of the bus. The new Crown only came with one of these heaters, located at the rear of the bus next to the emergency door. While the engine replacement was in progress, I had the mechanic disconnect the hoses connecting the heater to the long pipes. The bus didn't have any collant at the time so it was not too messy. On the old Crown, I had it done while the bus was being worked on at a truck shop. My friend who is a diesel mechanic told me that the process involves the use of a rain coat to deal with the coolant that will pour out. A Crown uses 20 gallons of coolant so if you plan on removal it would be prudent to get multiple buckets to put it in.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown, heater removal