Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
How I plan and install a fuel pick-up tube for a diesel heater.

As we enter winter and more of us are discussing diesel heaters again, I thought it was a good time to document a diesel fuel tank pick-up tube installation I did. Hopefully this is helpful to someone doing it for the first time.

Stay warm, friends!

https://youtu.be/R3kMql1eiv0

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Nice video. I dropped a hammer on my boss one time. He kind of deserved it
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
As we enter winter and more of us are discussing diesel heaters again, I thought it was a good time to document a diesel fuel tank pick-up tube installation I did. Hopefully this is helpful to someone doing it for the first time.

Stay warm, friends!

https://youtu.be/R3kMql1eiv0

Nice video, I've been wondering about fuel supply for our diesel heater(s) and this looks like a great solution.

Watched your skinning vids as well. I've got electric shears that are supposed to do 16ga mild. I'm trying to decide between 16ga and 18 or 20ga skin. Unfortunately I think I'm stuck with 16ga as we have more transit/coach type windows with lots of different layers and they all measure out at 16ga.
Any suggestions?
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:38 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Nice video, I've been wondering about fuel supply for our diesel heater(s) and this looks like a great solution.

Watched your skinning vids as well. I've got electric shears that are supposed to do 16ga mild. I'm trying to decide between 16ga and 18 or 20ga skin. Unfortunately I think I'm stuck with 16ga as we have more transit/coach type windows with lots of different layers and they all measure out at 16ga.
Any suggestions?
First...thanks for the kind comment. This whole "make a video while you work on stuff" thing is hard. I appreciate the encouragement!

I think all of the modern school buses I've worked on had/have 18ga skin. I definitely wouldn't go with anything lighter. Some of the older buses, like our old Superiors, have skin that's damned near 1/8-inch thick! Although we have a few transits, though, I've not done a roof raise on them...nor had reason to measure the skin. So I'm no help there.

I don't think there's ever an issue with going heavier and it is less likely to telegraph interior issues. I think either 18 or 16 would be just fine.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:12 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
My superior has pretty thick metal all over as I’ve found putting screws in and cutting a bigger hole for a reverse light. I’m use to slicing right through bus skin with my monster size snips but dang not that bus! And mine is a newer one that didn’t have as thick of skin as the pre sheller globe stuff
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:33 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
First...thanks for the kind comment. This whole "make a video while you work on stuff" thing is hard. I appreciate the encouragement!

To do it WELL is hard whether you're working on something, or just doing any kind of video. But working on something and doing the video is definitely in the top of the difficulty scale. I've got three YouTube channels and all vids are work to edit them well.

Since Demo is fairly routine I'm just doing time lapse for Demo on the HamSkoolie. In fact I need to get out there now and rip the passenger side wiring harness out of the interior..... that one I'll probably do as a regular video just because so many people have issues with electrical and taking out the wrong wire or causing interlock issues.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote