Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: Chev. G30
Re: Info about Coleman Polar Cub 9200btu A/C?

I installed the Coleman Polar Cub 9200. I have a 200 amp alternator feeding the battery which is in turn feeding a 3000 watt inverter. The alternator and inverter seem to be doing their jobs fine but that battery isn't holding up it's end of the bargain. From what I've read I'll be better off rigging two 6 volt golf cart batteries vs. one car or marine battery. If that doesn't work I'll add an isolated battery feed to the inverter and if that fails then I guess I'll have to go back to rigging a generator. I'd really rather have some kind of self contained unit and not have to rely on a generator though.

SDS

sdsknifeworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Bapos, I agree that the condensers are generally installed vertically but I had success mounting one horizontal on an old Studebaker Avanti I once had. Also, back in the '60's the condensers on the rear engine V W s were mounted horizontal as there was no way to mount them vertically. Perhaps they are more efficient vertically for some reason but if there is enough air flow over the coils they seem to work ok in the horizontal. What are your thoughts?
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Of course nothing can be easy. After doing some checking my inverter was putting out only 74 volts. Having a buddy see if it can be repaired before I progress.

SDS
Old 05-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsknifeworks
Of course nothing can be easy. After doing some checking my inverter was putting out only 74 volts. Having a buddy see if it can be repaired before I progress.

SDS
I read somewhere that a multimeter will not read the correct voltage of modified sine wave inverters. Could be the issue...
Old 05-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsknifeworks

SDS
I read somewhere that a multimeter will not read the correct voltage of modified sine wave inverters. Could be the issue...
Interesting. I'm going to have to read up on this when I get time.

I will also check both of mine with my professional electricians clamp meter, and the cheap $10 Canadian tire multimeter. I will report the findings.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

I like to have something to back me up when making such claims. Here's at least one quote from the web:

http://www.solener.com/dudas_e.html
Quote:
I have measured the inverter output with my multimeter. I found only 180 Volts, sometimes I found 65 volts. Is it badly calibrated?

The multimeters commonly used in electricity and many of those used in electronics are designed to measure the root mean square (RMS) value of the sinusoidal signals. They use the relationship between the RMS voltage and the mean (that is the value that they really measure) of the sinusoidal waves. The modified sinusoidal wave is not purely sinusoidal, for this reason this relationship is not valid and the indication of the measurement device is not correct (usually they show a lower value).

To obtain the value of the RMS voltage we must use true RMS digital multimeters or analogic mobile iron multimeters.

When the inverter has no load connected it switches to low energy consumption operational mode. During this operational mode the output voltage decreases to 90 Volts (RMS), for this reason if we use a normal multimeter to measure it will only read about 65 Volts.
I believe I also read it in the manual for my Whistler Pro 2000w modified sine wave inverter.. I'll have to search around for it, though.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

I sure wish I could carry on an intelligent conversation about testing the inverter but we have progressed beyond my skill level. A friend who works on aircraft electronics has it and is looking it over to see if he can figure out why it's not working properly. I'll pass along your information and hope for the best.

Thanks,
SDS