Old 07-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Inside unit of Mini Split

For those of you that installed mini split unit, where in your interior layout did you install the inside portion of the system? Front of bus, rear, bedroom, or mid-bus?!?! What did you find out, did entire bus cool down nicely or were there areas that never got cooled? Share photos if you can. Thanks
Stoshtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshtan View Post
For those of you that installed mini split unit, where in your interior layout did you install the inside portion of the system? Front of bus, rear, bedroom, or mid-bus?!?! What did you find out, did entire bus cool down nicely or were there areas that never got cooled? Share photos if you can. Thanks

I've seen a lot installed above the bed. A couple people mentioned multiple inside units at different points in the bus. I believe Kazetsukai was one who mentioned locating one forward and one towards the rear of the living space, but I may be misremembering.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:35 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
One on front wall one on rear wall.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Good question! Guess it also varies based on size of the skoolie and the climate. Look forward to reading what people have to say.
Lubbock Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
FAC
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 24valve 5.9
Rated Cap: 84
Mine is one head unit on the sidewall essentially in the center of the bus. It can be up to 10* warmer in the back or front if the curtains are not closed. With them closed usually about 5* warmer on the ends. In ac mode of course.
FAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: 40' MVP-ER
Engine: Cat 3126
One mini split won’t cut it. Because of the shape of the bus (long,thin) I feel you need to have them facing fwd and rearward for air distribution. My mini splits do push air pretty hard when used in “turbo” (lol) mode. But even without any walls up yet they won’t cool opposite ends of the bus. (40’ foot bus)
But a more important step is insulation and defeating the thermal bridging which should be taken into account if you are trying to cool the bus ESPECIALLY with solar.
shaymcquaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaymcquaid View Post
One mini split wonít cut it. Because of the shape of the bus (long,thin) I feel you need to have them facing fwd and rearward for air distribution. My mini splits do push air pretty hard when used in ďturboĒ (lol) mode. But even without any walls up yet they wonít cool opposite ends of the bus. (40í foot bus)
But a more important step is insulation and defeating the thermal bridging which should be taken into account if you are trying to cool the bus ESPECIALLY with solar.
All of this.

In a stock bus, 2 units might not get it done, unless they're on the larger end of the spectrum.

But if you turn your bus into a yeti cooler, one small unit will likely suffice.

Thermal bridging is a very real thing, moreso in a bus then a house because the frame is steel vs wood. The best insulation between the frame rails won't really do jack if you don't address the steel inner and outer skin in direct contact with the steel frame.

The aluminum framed single pane windows on a stock bus are terrible as well. As is both doors and the emergency hatches. To make a bus thermally efficient, a lot needs to be done sadly.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
One mini split wonít cut it. Because of the shape of the bus (long,thin) I feel you need to have them facing fwd and rearward for air distribution.
I have a single 9000 BTU high efficiency unit. I built my rack to hold two if needed. I feel like if I had a duct which went the length of the bus front to back, to move air between the opposing ends, a single unit would probably do the trick.

Quote:
My build thread has thermal images even of the exterior in winter when the split was heating the space. Its pretty well insulated as far as buses go.

Not saying two splits aren't better than one- I'm still leaning towards pulling the lever on a second unit. But lack of good circulation I think is the majority of the problem.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: MCI 96A3
Engine: DD 8V92TA
I originally installed a 12,000 BTU Pioneer Minisplit, with the Condenser in the front drivers side Luggage Bay and the evaporator over the windshield.

I have been extremely pleased with the result, given enough time the single unit will cool the bus nicely.

We use a box fan to get the cool air to the bedroom in the back.

The problems come when you want to cool the bus down quickly, living in Florida we also have issue when the temps start to get into the upper 90ís.

In my original plans I planned to install a second 12,000 BTU Minisplit in the back with the evaporator on the rear wall over the bed and the Condenser installed in the engine compartment where I had removed the original MCI Blackwater tank.

Reality struck and I realized I could not install the Condenser in that area.

Neither me or the Wife really wanted to put an air Conditioner on the roof, After much thought and debate, We decided we would rather be cool, and the decision was made to install a Coleman 15,000 BTU Mach 15 roof top AC in the rear Escape hatch.

I wanted to leave my options open and be able change at a future time so, I had my fabricator friend build me a new hatch out of aluminum with the 14Ē square hole already cut into it, removed and saved the original hatch and mounted the AC in the new hatch.

So far we are very happy with the result, the best of both worlds, We can run both roof top and mini split and cool the bus down instantly, once the bus is cool we shut off the Coleman and maintain with the mini split.

With minimal power we can run the Mini Split only, We can also run both Roof top and Mini Split under full load at less than 25 Amp, Need almost 30 amps to run both ACís, refrigerator, Hot water heater, TV and house battery charger, need to shut off the Roof Top to run the Micro wave at 30 amp.

No issues at 50 amp.

Peter
peterbylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: C1FE 2509
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9L 24V ~ AT545
Rated Cap: Seats 5. Sleeps 4
Installed ours in the front with a hidden ducted AC Infinity ventilation fan pulling in cool air from the floor and circulating it in the rear. Works out nicely. We have a 26' bus with a 12k btu minisplit with 30a service
Bluthebus00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas 6 window
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: MBE 924
Bluthebus00 can you tell me more about your AC Infinity fan and how it's set up? The idea of hidden ductwork is in intriguing
cushionhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: 1308N
Engine: 5.9 24V Cummins
Rated Cap: 44 Transit
Cassette

I have purchased my mini split but I'm not that far along in the build yet to have it installed. I purchased a 12K/12K senville unit with the indoor cassette that I am hoping to install in place of the roof hatch, it will stick through the roof about 8 or 9 inches when installed so I will need to put an insulated shell over it like a bubble or blister on the roof. I looked but didn't find any examples of this having been done in a bus, guess I may find out the hard way why, but life is about trying different things right?
RMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Sure! It's a 6" inline fan with standard residential hvac entry and exit vents. The intake is mounted under the main bed and the exit vent is near the roof in the rear. The controller is mounted close to the exit vent.

The fan comes with ventilation hoses, mounting hardware, a temp & humidity sensor, fan controller and of course the fan itself. The controller can be set to automatically turn on/off based on the humidity, temperature or both. I just manually turn it on when the minisplit is running. One thing this awesome fan doesn't do is reverse its airflow. I'd love to have the fan run backwards when I'm using the heatpump function of the minisplit so it takes warm air near the ceiling and blows it across the floor.

These fans come in 4" and 6" models and I think 8" too but don't quote me on the 8" one. Memory is foggy at this hour lol. I've attached some pics of it. We're very happy with it. If you stand in the center of the bus facing the rear, you can feel air moving from the rear towards the front where the minisplit indoor unit is installed. That said, our flat nose bus is only 26' long bumper to bumper. I'm not sure how effective my particular setup would be on a larger bus. Something more creative may be required.

I saw someone was looking at a ceiling cassette for their minisplit. That would be amazing if they can get away with it. There are a bunch of different options for minisplit indoor units. There are even ducted indoor units for minisplits too!

PS> It's only 82 degrees because I haven't been in the bus at all this week and the minisplit wasn't turned on ��

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushionhead View Post
Bluthebus00 can you tell me more about your AC Infinity fan and how it's set up? The idea of hidden ductwork is in intriguing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200802-002214.jpg (135.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200802-002209.jpg (123.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200802-002203.jpg (191.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200802-002155.jpg (170.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-01-2020, 11:40 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Thats sounds like a good plan. You can get the cool air more toward the middle of the bus without loosing too much headroom. You could have some sheet metal bent into a box with flanges to go over the top of the cassette.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas 6 window
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: MBE 924
Thanks Blu for taking the time to do that. I'm in the planning stage so it's very helpful
cushionhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
The depth of ceiling cassettes is an issue to me unless you build a house for it on the roof of the bus. In a coach bus with pass through underfloor storage you could use ducted units as basement air . You could also make a custom enclosure and mount your high wall unit recessed into your bulkhead areas if you choose. You have to make sure you keep the fan-duct the same for that cross flow blower .
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluthebus00 View Post
Sure! It's a 6" inline fan with standard residential hvac entry and exit vents. The intake is mounted under the main bed and the exit vent is near the roof in the rear. The controller is mounted close to the exit vent.

The fan comes with ventilation hoses, mounting hardware, a temp & humidity sensor, fan controller and of course the fan itself. The controller can be set to automatically turn on/off based on the humidity, temperature or both. I just manually turn it on when the minisplit is running. One thing this awesome fan doesn't do is reverse its airflow. I'd love to have the fan run backwards when I'm using the heatpump function of the minisplit so it takes warm air near the ceiling and blows it across the floor.

These fans come in 4" and 6" models and I think 8" too but don't quote me on the 8" one. Memory is foggy at this hour lol. I've attached some pics of it. We're very happy with it. If you stand in the center of the bus facing the rear, you can feel air moving from the rear towards the front where the minisplit indoor unit is installed. That said, our flat nose bus is only 26' long bumper to bumper. I'm not sure how effective my particular setup would be on a larger bus. Something more creative may be required.

I saw someone was looking at a ceiling cassette for their minisplit. That would be amazing if they can get away with it. There are a bunch of different options for minisplit indoor units. There are even ducted indoor units for minisplits too!

PS> It's only 82 degrees because I haven't been in the bus at all this week and the minisplit wasn't turned on ��
in the marine world, Atwood makes an inline 12v blower that might help you out... https://www.nlamarine.com/products/m...nt=10148195845

I've got one for bilge exhaust on my boat
Old 08-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Woah! That's awesome! I could mount this inline reverse of my regular fan to pull air in the opposite direction!

thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
in the marine world, Atwood makes an inline 12v blower that might help you out... https://www.nlamarine.com/products/m...nt=10148195845

I've got one for bilge exhaust on my boat
Old 08-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #19

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE300
Engine: Maxxforce 7.6L DT
Rated Cap: 72
I'm currently figuring out my A/C system as well. There's some good info here, thank you. I plan to install a mini-split, model and size undetermined still. My query is if there would be any issues or special considerations with running the mini-split straight into a single, full bus length duct with two or three standard vents? I'm not extremely versed in the HVAC world, but in my mind I see a 100% ducted A/C system solving the distribution problem, especially with longer busses like mine. Possibly upping efficiency too? What say you?
Tjurgensen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluthebus00 View Post
I think I have the exact same fan, just with the manual speed control instead of the thermostat. Very different use case:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/k...tml#post386394

Thinking of ordering two more of them to move air in the cabin, since ventilation is a weakness of my build as-is. Did you get one of the carbon filters they sell?

They make these fans in 4, 6, 8, and even 10 inch variants.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote