Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
Question Installing Window A/Cs under the bus, and ducting cold air thru-floor?

Has anyone done this? Until I can afford mini-splits, I want to use window A/Cs. I would duct the cold side with insulated ducts, using very short runs. Return air flows through a furnace filter, adding a inline duct fan on the return side if airflow is insufficient. I would have the rear hot side facing towards the skirting with an air deflection panel to prevent heat building up around the unit. I would splice in 9 feet of wire and install the units thermostat in the area to be cooled. 10 inches away from the unit on the forward side, install a rubber mud flap to prevent sand and rocks from beating up the unit.

Has anyone done this? Has anyone done research on this versus RV roof A/Cs? I want to keep a clean exterior look and I don’t want to add any RV roof A/Cs before I can surround it with solar panels or a deck.

Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:01 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work when you can get a good 9000 BTU mini split for $650 or a 12000 BTU unit for $700. I haven't done what you're suggesting...and it is certainly possible...but for the work and the ducting materials and the loss of efficiency I'm not sure you'd actually save any money in the long run. Skoolie owners, myself included, tend to be really creative folks...but this is an area where I'd urge just going with the mini-split and saving up until that was a possibility.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:54 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I think water from the road would be a problem to work through. Maybe a better place would be on the back step?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work when you can get a good 9000 BTU mini split for $650 or a 12000 BTU unit for $700. I haven't done what you're suggesting...and it is certainly possible...but for the work and the ducting materials and the loss of efficiency I'm not sure you'd actually save any money in the long run. Skoolie owners, myself included, tend to be really creative folks...but this is an area where I'd urge just going with the mini-split and saving up until that was a possibility.
Permanent A/C will be name-brand mini-splits with -20 full heat pump capability, should have mentioned this in my OP.

These budget ideas aren't about saving money, they're about having that functionality until I can afford the best, most efficient solution. Once I had the mini-splits installed, I would remove the ducted window A/Cs.

I only have 22 feet of living space after the first row (which is being kept), so I want to have these unit systems outside the living space. I've seen pics and videos of really shabby builds where they put the unit inside in a box three times the volume of the window unit for proper airflow, eating up interior space all because they didn't want to build outside the box and spend a little bit more time and money on a superior solution.

The only real competitor to this is RV roof units, which AFAIK, come with the inefficiency of a window unit and the heat gain of being in direct sun. There is little incentive to make RV roof A/Cs more durable or efficient, being designed for two-season sticks-and-staples RVs.

Compared to huge water tanks (see my other idea thread), hanging a window unit off the existing stamped S-channels seems trivial, as long as you give the unit plenty of support and overbuild for safety margins.

I would build an airbox for the front of the unit, which would normally go inside a room. I could design this to work with or without the mostly cosmetic front grill of the unit, as I've already disconnected the units thermostat module and extended the wires. Then it would be a matter of securing literally a few feet of 4" or 6" ID insulated ducting, hole sawing two holes in the floor, and doing the interior work. I could use a floor register for the outlet and build another airbox for the small furnace filter (this is to prevent the fins getting clogged up with crud and hairs over the 1-2 years I would have this setup). I would install 2-3 units this way unless I chose to go with roof A/C instead.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:25 AM   #5
Bus Nut

I'm looking at 8000 - 12000 BTU window units. LG made a window unit with an actual heat pump capability, which is what I really want to keep me warm in Californian and South Arizona winters (above freezing).
Old 02-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
The heat pump window units are not very efficient compared to the split system heat pump units..

If you do a search ..it has been done, I did read about it when I was researching... AC... Only ac you can find window units on the side of the street.

Heat pump windows are not much cheaper then split ..if at all..

Myself I find window units way to noisy.

You can also use floor heating and floor cooling.. not to cold for condensation.. but if you go bare foot then it feels a lot cooler then it actually is. Same counts for the heating of course... So the " psychological" efficiency is high .. because if the relative low temperature the thermodynamic efficiency is high as well..
Not everybodies cup of tea..just a thought..
Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, clean look, ducting, question, window ac