Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Van
Engine: 5.7L Gas
Insulating the Windows?

Hey All,

I am in the process of planning my bus insulation. I think I am going to go with 1" XPS insulation for the floor and 2" XPS insulation for the ceiling and walls. I would like to keep the bus windows as I like how they look from the outside and don't want to deal with taking out the windows and welding sheet metal over the holes. My question is, can I wall/ insulate over some of the windows on the inside? So the windows would all be visible from the outside but only about half of the internal windows would be visible/ usable from the inside. The others would be covered with insulation and wood siding. I'm assuming I might run into some serious condensation issues due the the covered windows being in contact with insulation? If I left a 1/2" gap between the window and insulation would that help? As you guys can tell I am pretty new to this and learning as I go. Thanks for the help!

BTW I own a 2002 Chevy short bus.

mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
The windows have a bad habit of working themselves open while driving down the road. I would make it so you can easily access the windows if you have to.

Also yes I could see condensation being an issue as well.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I helped a tent out here with his conversion and he had a similar situation. He sound up cutting the 1" blue foam to fit each window and then had them covered in a fabric that matched his interior.

They looked very sharp.

He could pick and choose which windows were covered or not, depending on climate and view.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
The windows have a bad habit of working themselves open while driving down the road. I would make it so you can easily access the windows if you have to.

Also yes I could see condensation being an issue as well.
If I ended up covering these windows I would completely seal them off so they would not be able to be opened. Then again I might want to open them up occasionally to air out any condensation that would occur...
Old 01-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I helped a tent out here with his conversion and he had a similar situation. He sound up cutting the 1" blue foam to fit each window and then had them covered in a fabric that matched his interior.

They looked very sharp.

He could pick and choose which windows were covered or not, depending on climate and view.
This was the other option I was thinking about. I didn't want to do this because I wouldn't be able to use that space around the windows for a closet/ wall/ whatever. But I guess I could still do this if it looked nice enough!
Old 01-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm going to make window inserts out of 2" XPS covered with black fabric (facing the outside) and white fabric (facing the inside), with velcro around the edge to attach to a wood frame around each window (my windows are black so these should not be too obvious from the outside). I'm thinking maybe each insert will have a small pocket on the out side that I can fill with silica gel packets - not sure that will help much with condensation but maybe.

I love my windows too much to cover any of them permanently, but I need to be able to stop them from leaking massive amounts of heat, too.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
Sewed up Curtains

I sewed up some insulating curtains, three layers and they roll up. Just an Idea. they call them Kume curtains.
Attached Thumbnails
20191228_132214_resized.jpg  
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCircus View Post
I sewed up some insulating curtains, three layers and they roll up. Just an Idea. they call them Kume curtains.
I noticed those in your build thread and they look very nice. What is the insulation part of them? Fingers crossed for aerogel ...
Old 01-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I'm thinking of using plexiglass, and cutting pieces the size of each window opening. Stick them in place (however they hold in place is another story) and they become double-pane windows for when it's cold. Still lets in sunlight, and you can see out, but reduces heat loss. Then the fabric-covered foam (as mentioned in previous posts) can also be used when it's dark and well below freezing.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
Its a three layer assembly. Polar fleece facing the window, polyethylene sheet next as a vapor barrier, then a medium weight cotton curtain material. made a big difference.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote