Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Chevy Express Hi Cube Bus
Engine: 6.0l
Insulation

I was wondering if anyone removed the metal sheet under the windows, installed insulation and put the metal sheet back on and then glued a thin piece of finished plywood? How did that work out? I'm trying to find an easy, yet effective way to insulate since I'm doing this on my own.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190808_2011220.jpg  

Evey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Just about everyone removes the metal from below the windows by cutting it just below the window lip. There is no need to put it back. Most of us fill that cavity with rigid insulation and then frame out from there.

Do not remove the chair rail or below.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Chevy Express Hi Cube Bus
Engine: 6.0l
I don't really need to frame anything out since I'm buying everything premaden so I thought this would be easier than making new cuts and such? I'm totally new at this, so I was hoping this would be better. Cutting seems more difficult. Unless I'm not understanding you. Anyone have any personal videos/pictures of their work? I have search tirelessly on YouTube to see if anyone specifically documented this specific scenario.
Evey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey_c View Post
I don't really need to frame anything out since I'm buying everything premaden so I thought this would be easier than making new cuts and such? I'm totally new at this, so I was hoping this would be better. Cutting seems more difficult. Unless I'm not understanding you. Anyone have any personal videos/pictures of their work? I have search tirelessly on YouTube to see if anyone specifically documented this specific scenario.
Click on User CP at the top and edit your details, so that people here will know what kind of bus you have and where you're located etc. Don't know what type of bus you have, but it's common for the wall panels to be screwed (or riveted) to the ribs of the bus but also spot-welded along the top of the panel to the frame on which the windows sit. This spot welding makes the panels difficult to fully remove and impossible to put back exactly as they were.

Fortunately, you don't need to put the wall panels back and they can be easily removed by just cutting below the window sill (where the spot welds are). You can then just insulate between the ribs and put up plywood over it.

Tags
insulation