Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2022, 10:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Insulation question

Hello,

Before you tell me not to use fiberglass please read this. My buddy works for John manville and they make this ducting that has a foil backer. They use it for duct work in commercial applications and it is supposed to have good thermal qualities. Hereís the site for the product. Itís the micro aire one.

https://www.jm.com/en/hvac/duct-board/

What do you guys think for insulation in the bus? Would the foil be a good thermal break? Fill in gaps with spray foam? The stuff is very stiff and comes in 10 foot by 4 foot boards. Thanks in advance. I attached a picture of some of it I have in my shop.
Attached Thumbnails
D147CB08-20DF-4270-B5A2-A57B9EB3A724.jpg  

Aamafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:04 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
This stuff would work OK if you already have a bunch of it. The R-value is listed as 6.5 (for 1.5") so it's about as good as EPS foam board but slightly worse than XPS. The foil backing will have no value whatsoever in a skoolie, and you might have some difficulty getting the material to conform to the curved ceiling. I would guess it's more expensive than XPS so I wouldn't use it unless I already had a lot of it.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:50 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for the response! I have a ton of it I got from a left over job. More than enough to do the bus. Iím curious about condensation. I already did my strapping and put a layer of cell foam under it. Is there a way I can use this stuff with maybe like a plastic layer between it and the metal to prevent condensation?
Attached Thumbnails
6EB3074D-9F10-442E-B95F-B9A62102B967.jpg   F1D44D29-2C3C-4E6B-9CD7-9661BF6FE2B7.jpg  
Old 02-07-2022, 12:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Yes, vapour barriers are critical along with good controlled ventilation.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:04 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Aight so what would be the best for the barrier. Just some plastic drop?
Old 02-07-2022, 10:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Yes but be careful not to rip it.

If you find thicker just as wide not too pricey...
Old 02-08-2022, 09:48 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamafighter View Post
Thank you for the response! I have a ton of it I got from a left over job. More than enough to do the bus. Iím curious about condensation. I already did my strapping and put a layer of cell foam under it. Is there a way I can use this stuff with maybe like a plastic layer between it and the metal to prevent condensation?
Insulation first! The vapor barrier goes on the inside face of the wall/ceiling, closest to the conditioned air. The purpose of a vapor barrier is to keep moisture from condensing on/within the insulation.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Insulation first! The vapor barrier goes on the inside face of the wall/ceiling, closest to the conditioned air. The purpose of a vapor barrier is to keep moisture from condensing on/within the insulation.
I am no insulation expert and I’m very appreciative for the advice. I just want to wrap my head around it. If I put the insulation against the metal and then put plastic under it would it not then allow the bottom of the metal to develop condensation on top of the insulation?
Old 02-08-2022, 10:08 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamafighter View Post
I am no insulation expert and I’m very appreciative for the advice. I just want to wrap my head around it. If I put the insulation against the metal and then put plastic under it would it not then allow the bottom of the metal to develop condensation on top of the insulation?

From the outside in your wall system should be metal(skin of bus), insulation, vapor barrier, then finished wall material.

You are heating the inside air of the bus. Warmer air has more moisture. Cool metal lowers the temperature of the air and squeezes the moisture out. Any warm air in contact with cool metal will cause water vapor to condense out onto the cooler surface.

The design goal should be to keep all warm, water vapor-laden air from coming in contact with cool surfaces, so the layer of plastic (vapor barrier) should be on the warm side of the wall system.

[edit] and furthermore there should be no air gaps near the metal surfaces. Stuff everything so there are no free air or air gaps.

Link to this forum's threads on condensation: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/tags/condensation.html
Old 02-08-2022, 10:15 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Beautiful!!! Much help and thank you!
Old 02-08-2022, 02:06 PM   #11
Bus Geek

If you are living in places where you expect high ambient humidity, a good rustproofing job of interior surface of a steel skin might be worthwhile, then no harm in doubling the barrier.

But don't seal up the interior surface of a steel skin from the outside, especially when running aircon,

allow that to circulate and dry out when it gets the chance, drip holes along the bottom even.

Also best to use insulation boards that do not absorb moisture.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:12 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

See now I’m confused again. It seems like you are saying a vapor barrier on the bottom of the insulation isn’t good. John would you agree with the above post about metal then insulation then vapor barrier then finishing wood? Or are you saying metal then vapor barrier then the insulation?
Old 02-08-2022, 07:01 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

If you'd like a tutorial on vapor barriers this one is pretty good:
https://www.buildingscience.com/docu...vapor-barriers

Scroll down to the wall cross-sections and you'll see that the barrier needs to go closest to the conditioned living space, to prevent moisture-laden air on the inside from soaking the insulation or metal frame of the bus when the outside temps are low.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

That’s why I love this site. Thanks all. I’ll update on the final product in case someone else finds this thread.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:06 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Protecting insulation from the living space humidity is key

> no harm in doubling the barrier

By this I meant - under the circumstances listed - also putting a battier between the outermost skin and the insulation

Most would say overkill

Tags
air gap, condensation, insulation