Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Van Hool
Chassis: C2045
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
Is it possible? Newbie Asks

I would love to be able to use diesel to power my stove, generator, floor radiant heating, and general heating. I plan to use a mult-split for cooling but would like to use diesel for everything else. I will have a large solar setup for refrig and everything else. My questions are"

1) is it possible?
2) Need info on heating water for radiant floor heating (diagrams would be great)?
3) is it correct that I can run all of this diesel off of my 275 gal tank?
4) What are the Product suggestions for the items that you guys would suggest?

Any and all information would be welcomed?
Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place and where I should post it.

Thank all you guys, in advance, for all the help you always provide.

Bikeboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:21 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
They make diesel stoves/ovens for boats, but they're super expensive (thousands). Since they combust inside (unlike diesel air heaters) I would imagine they're kind of foul and require really good ventilation. It seems like propane is common enough that it's not really a big deal to charge up your tanks (or swap out the BBQ bottles) at the same time you fill your diesel tank.

Even if you got a diesel stove, you still might want a tankless water heater. Apparently they make diesel version of those, but also super expensive.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom 40'
Engine: DDECII 6V92T Allison MT647
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs of potential
I am interested in doing this also. I have seen water heaters that run on kerosene, is that not similar to diesel? A diesel heater for the radiant floor could be zoned to heat an indirect tank for potable hot water. The diesel cookstoves for boats are indeed really expensive - salvage boatyards would be were I would want to shop for a used one.
Phantom5824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
diesel for heat

There are a couple of different ways to do this.. I have a 90,000 btu webasto diesel engine coolant heater. this has 25mm or 1" coolant hose connections and is intended to heat engine coolant for people heaters and the engine heat. There are heat exchangers intended to be connected to this kind of system for heating water, for showers, cooking, and washing. The kinds of things you are asking about are most often found on ships and boats.

I have three heaters on my bus, one up front for me and the windshields, one behind the driver and one at the back of the bus. All three of my heaters have two fans to move air around. I can have the heaters going and not the fans.

I am considering using a diesel generator, but I have a 200 amp 12v alternator on my engine already and may not need a generator.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks magnakansas, i think I have basic confusion on what I would use to heat the water (fluid) in the radiant floor lines. I think that I am starting to understand that I can use a webasto type heater? Please educate and there are systems diagrams on this site I would sure appreciate a pointer. Thanks for your repy
Old 07-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Also how is the fluid moved along and reheated?
Old 07-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #7
Skoolie

Diesel hot water and radiant heating have been in touring coaches for years.
Search for Aquahot, the 800lb gorilla in that market.

On a smaller scale, the Truma is popular with the vanlifers and does the same thing. Good solutions that really take the pressure off your electrical system if you don't want gas bottles on board.
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
If you are going to be burning diesel when parked, I assume you will be boondocking so no neighbors will be subject to diesel exhaust. But why not make everything electric and use the diesel to run a generator? Then you can swap in a standalone generator and/or solar to reduce the generator load.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, generators, radiant heating