Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Keep Floor Heater / Remove Floor

I think I'd like to keep a floor heater at the front of my e450 bus as a bench seat will sit right above it. Guess the only reason to remove it would be to use that space under the bench for storage, which may be a good reason. But heat seems more important.

I am ripping up the floor and wonder if anyone has ripped up around the heater and kept it there. Or should I remove it and then put back with new floor underneath?
Handy skills are minimal at the moment so any helpful details or step by steps would be appreciated. Thank you!

awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
I am planning on keeping my floor heater in the rear of the bus but I will remove it and move the heater hoses to the underside of the bus. I plan to incorporate the heater into the build somewhere and maybe duct it's heat output to a couple of different places and put the fans on a thermostat in the bedroom area.

I would remove yours and then reinstall it where ever you need it and be sure to move the hoses to the underside of the bus to prevent damage to your build when a heater hose leaks in the future.
Shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamoke View Post
I am planning on keeping my floor heater in the rear of the bus but I will remove it and move the heater hoses to the underside of the bus. I plan to incorporate the heater into the build somewhere and maybe duct it's heat output to a couple of different places and put the fans on a thermostat in the bedroom area.

I would remove yours and then reinstall it where ever you need it and be sure to move the hoses to the underside of the bus to prevent damage to your build when a heater hose leaks in the future.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you have a good plan.

The removal process seems rather straight forward. I assume the reinstall process should be as well?
Old 10-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilder View Post
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you have a good plan.

The removal process seems rather straight forward. I assume the reinstall process should be as well?
Depends on where you want to reinstall it. You may have to add or subtract heater hose to fit it where you want. I am rerouting mine to the underside of the bus and am planning to run then in conduit to protect them and help to retain the heat.
Shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
before you reinstall it take it apart and clean the coils... if the motors are at all rattley or stiff to turn then replace the motors..

therse heaters are a lot easier to take apart when they are on your garage floor than when they are installed in a bus with your conversion around it
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
before you reinstall it take it apart and clean the coils... if the motors are at all rattley or stiff to turn then replace the motors..

therse heaters are a lot easier to take apart when they are on your garage floor than when they are installed in a bus with your conversion around it
Thanks, good to know.