Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: International IC RE300
Engine: International 7.6L diesel
Rated Cap: 33,000
Keep or ditch?

What do y’all think about keeping heaters or air conditioners? What’s the perks of keeping em or ditching em. I have to at least temporarily take some of the heater out to rip floor up and perhaps the air conditioners to do the ceiling ... my buddy took all his out but a/c don’t sound too bad and back up heat don’t sound too bad either . I will eventually be putting in small wood stove as main heat source when I need it . Thanks yall

Saucenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucenbach View Post
What do y’all think about keeping heaters or air conditioners? What’s the perks of keeping em or ditching em. I have to at least temporarily take some of the heater out to rip floor up and perhaps the air conditioners to do the ceiling ... my buddy took all his out but a/c don’t sound too bad and back up heat don’t sound too bad either . I will eventually be putting in small wood stove as main heat source when I need it . Thanks yall
Any form of climate control can be pretty handy.
Could always reinstall it after you're done with any work you do.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
You don't mention where you live so how would us mere mortals know what your heating and air/con requirements would be? Geesh, wasting peoples time man.

John
Old 10-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
If the wood stove will defrost/defog your windshield while you are driving then I would consider deleting the front heater. Otherwise I would keep it.

If you will never be driving in 90F degree weather then you may consider deleting the road a/c.

I deleted the road a/c in my first bus. Then I drove I-40 through the Southwest in July...... I nearly broke my leg kicking myself in the butt for taking the road a/c out.

I had two roof a/c's (12,500btu) run by a diesel generator. They were not nearly enough to keep me comfortable while driving in hot weather.

The great thing about skoolies is that we get to Taylor them to suit our own individual wants, like and need. Like Burger King, you get it your way.

For me, the factory heater at the driver position and road a/c are well worth keeping.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I totally kept my rear heater and glad I did!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
If you ditch the roof AC units I may want them, depending on the make and model...
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
I have a short bus

and I plan on driving with 7 to 10 people on hot 105 f (40C) days, and a few winter days, at or below freezing. I am installing a dash mount a/c, heater system for the driver, front windows, and shotgun passenger. I will have at least one, or two heaters in the rear, and a ceiling mount a/c in the rear for the passengers. The ac system should total about 30k to 35k btu and run from one compressor and about 50" (1.3m) of condenser mounted at the skirt. Only the heaters will work without the engine running. The number of btu needed come from charts of companies that install a/c in buses, and are figured on a ten person load at 105f (40c) Takes about 30 minutes to cool a bus at 125f (52C) to 78f (26C) with ten on board an 105f (40C) according to charts.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, air conditioning units, bus advice, heat