Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: international
Keeping the original A/C

I am Planning on keeping my A/C unit that the bus came with it still works and I would like to use it while I am Driving the bus. Who else keep there original A/C and how is that working for you? Also how do you keep the bus cool when you are parked and the engine is off. My bus is About 23 feet long so I really don't want to have two different A/C units attached to the wall This might be a dumb question considering I don't know anything about engines. But is there a way where I can set my A/C unit to run while the bus is off ?

Zona_The_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
There's a way to do pretty much anything, but in this case, likely not without a lot of money, trouble, fabrication, and likely compromise.

The problem is, your engine-driven compressors are an integral part of the system. To run them stationary, you'd have to have a way to both divorce them from the engine, and turn them externally. Again, pretty much anything is possible. But to my way of thinking, that's probably about as close to impossible as you can get without going over

The most common solution I've seen so far on the forums is for people to have both... a mini-split or rooftop (RV) AC for when stationary, and the driving AC for when the engine's running. It's possible to have just the stationary AC for everything, and trashcan the engine-driven units... you could power it with a generator while on the road or stopped. But as mentioned in CadillacKid's thread I linked you to earlier, you'll likely be sacrificing significant cooling capacity.

For what it's worth (which aint much, since we're just planning things now), we'll be going with both.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
engine driven A/C is just that.. engine driven.. similar to your car, it only can cool when the engine is running...

that said, its worth it to have it and have a separate system for when you are parked..

I keep all my A/C, and add it to my busses which came without it..

I cant imagine making that late july / early august trip I did through the south, florida, alabama, carolinas, florida, etc without A/C..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: international
thank you I like the the roof top idea , I have been focusing on min splits and I didn't want to clutter my walls
Zona_The_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote