Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
Question Looking for Spray Foam Pro near San Jose, CA

After calling multiple residential installers and a van conversion company (they either didn't do it or weren't interested), I want to know where you got your skoolie insulation professionally sprayed in Northern California? I would prefer to have it done as close as possible to San Jose, CA but I can go to Sac or even Fresno to have it done.

Side question: Who makes the highest rated R-value/inch 2-part expanding foam? If I can afford that to be sprayed, I'll have that.

Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:09 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Like you, the little I tried, no one was interested or it was really costly. Lowes (probably HD too) sells the kits and I believe you either rent the sprayer or it's really inexpensive to buy. I can't remember which.

So, if you can't find someone or don't want to pay their price, give it a shot. Just wear tyvek suit, respirator and eye protection so you don't become part of the project. ha.

Best of luck.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:36 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Well I’m going to continue looking. Spray foam is a specialized skill I’d rather not learn. I think the main apprehension with the contractors I called is the warranty. The warranty meant for conventional homes. So I’ll ask for quotes forgoing the warranty. I think it would also help if I say the quote is for a 30’ steel building with a s-channel skeleton. Time to check craigslist too.

I’m going to do all the metal prep myself so all the pro has to do is mask off, spray, and shave flush.

I’ve read about vandwellers arranging to have their rig sprayed after another job, so the guys who already have their gear on and equipment running can spend 30 minutes spraying their van for a low price after completing the main residential job. I’ll happily arrange this if it saves me considerable dollars.

I can sleep better at night once I know someone who’ll do it.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I got two quotes from insulation outfits who advertise on craigslist. I scheduled an estimate with one, and he didn't show. The other, McCoy Insulation, quoted $1750 for 595 sq ft, 2 inches thick. This quote was in April 2021, it's certain prices went up since with the chemical shortages.

What I decided to go with is to buy a 200 board feet 2-component kit and use it to seal in rigid foam. See my build thread for more.

If you live in the SF Bay Area and need your skoolie professionally insulated with closed cell polyurethane, call McCoy Insulation at (510) 332-2538. He was very helpful and even answered my questions about paint adhesion, prep and more.

Tags
2-part, insulation, northern california, professional, san jose