Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2023, 06:54 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Raised Roof compliments of Transcend Existance Bus
Engine: 7.6LNavistarDT466eDiesel Trans:AllisonMD3060Auto
Rated Cap: GVWR 32,000 LBS
Maxx Fan Alternatives

Apparently Maxx Fans won't work on a slope greater than 10⁰.
This would be on the transition between my raised roof and the front of the bus.
So if there are any alternatives, please share them with me.
Thx.

Michael_Grumbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Why are you trying to put a fan on the sloped part of the roof?

As far as I know there’s only two major fan companies, maxxair and … I forget the name. The second company makes more conventional fans with manual hatches which might work better in your case. There’s also smaller 5” fans for bathroom exhaust that might work.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:33 AM   #3
Almost There

Its the only place left on the roof where I can mount anything.
Attached Thumbnails
20230213_104050.jpg  
Old 04-03-2023, 09:30 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
The issue with the slope limitation isn't that the fan won't work, it's leakage. If you install it with the opening to the rear, like normal, it would be vulnerable to the elements since it's on the top of the slope. If you install it backwards, so the opening is downhill, then the lid is subject to the force of air as you drive. I guess it would work if you were sure to close it before driving, but if you forget the cover can get ripped off...which I know because I had one ripped off in some 70mph winds a few months ago.

The alternative, the Fantastic Fan, wouldn't be any better unfortunately. It's a "traditional style" fan with a lifting lid. The rain cover for it is a clunky box that would look like ass and won't work in either orientation on the slope.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:49 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
I didn't want to cut into the roof of my shuttle bus, so instead plan on marine exhaust fans (Oasis brand). A quick Amazon search brings up a couple of other sidewall options a helluvalot cheaper than Maxxair.

I chose Oasis in-line because I'll be ducting them in both the front and back in a couple of configurations, though no wall penetrations, just through the windows. They pull 450 CFM, so two of these equals one Maxxair in air handling.

(You could buy six of them for the price of a single Maxxair. Plus, an in-line exhaust fan can be located somewhere other than on the ceiling right by your ears)

Downsides: if you decide to explore this option note that most of these fans are not reversible, so you need a mounting system to give that flexibility. Also, you need a variable speed control.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:40 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
I didn't want to cut into the roof of my shuttle bus, so instead plan on marine exhaust fans (Oasis brand). A quick Amazon search brings up a couple of other sidewall options a helluvalot cheaper than Maxxair.

I chose Oasis in-line because I'll be ducting them in both the front and back in a couple of configurations, though no wall penetrations, just through the windows. They pull 450 CFM, so two of these equals one Maxxair in air handling.

(You could buy six of them for the price of a single Maxxair. Plus, an in-line exhaust fan can be located somewhere other than on the ceiling right by your ears)

Downsides: if you decide to explore this option note that most of these fans are not reversible, so you need a mounting system to give that flexibility. Also, you need a variable speed control.
This is a great idea. I’m on my second max fan after I discovered the flimsy plastic does not hold up to wind oscillations on the interstate. Now I have to make sure I keep my fan shut tightly when on the road and even then sometimes it sounds like it’s going to give way.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:07 AM   #7
Almost There

This is terrific feedback everyone.
Thank you very much for giving me some options to consider.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:17 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Rucker's plan is exactly what I plan on our Crown. I don't want to put anything more than necessary on the roof, primary for appearance reasons, so I will be putting a ducted fan in a bay to draw air from inside (through vents).
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:43 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
A decade ago, we mounted two used take-out maxx-style fans on the side of a food-truck.
Last we heard, they are going strong.
BTB,
Eugene, Oregon.
We acquired the two from the RecreateVehicle junkyard across from the junior college and next door to the indoor range.
We went in for something else entirely, then engaged our imaginations.
Browsing has benefits.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote