Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #1

Microwave for RV?

Hi Guys,

I wanted to fit in a microwave in my RV and wanted to know about things I should consider before buying a microwave for an RV. I am also open to suggestions of microwave that I can buy online, I have a cabinet inside my RV that is around 35 inches wide and 20 inches on height. Since I am pretty happy with LG products, I was reading reviews on their microwave, but wanted to make sure I was buying the right type of microwave before I decided on a product.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ricksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
This unit or something similar is what we are planning on putting in our bus. I don't want to take up extra space with large appliances we won't use often, so we are going with this and a 2 burner hot plate instead of the traditional oven/range, and microwave.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KitchenA...9ESS/205896511
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
IMO, physical size/fit and power are the two big factors to consider. If you plan to only operate the microwave while on shore/generator power, no worries about the latter. If using it when off grid, you need to have the battery and inverter to support it.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
I have found that many square-wave inverters will not work with a microwave, as it needs to full peak voltage to run the magnetron. A microwave is actually very efficient in that almost all energy is used to cook. I had a 'turbo' microwave that is both a microwave and a turbo-oven, so both very useful and efficient for cooking. Anyone use one of those?
I have a microwave pressure cooked, Nordic something, and it works very well and is very efficient. Anyone use those?

Any 12v microwaves? I was working on building one, seems straightforward to me, but testing with 2000 volts was putting me off!

The 'turbo' microwave was not an above range model, that seems like what would work best to vent outside, I read everyone talk about how this is an issue when cooking inside a small space, and seem to depend on their ceiling fans for this. I don't plan to have one because like a boat I don't want holes in the hull, and for a camper, don't want any holes in the roof. ;)
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote