Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: MINI FRIDGE POWERED BY ALTERNATOR???

i got my 3way for 538.00 and it is 2.5 cubic feet ...if i need more room i will use a cooler and ice

the problem with propane is that your bus would have to be in 3% of level for it to work..not sure of what 3% of level is yet but since i got one im going to find out

in my reading here and other sites an alternator wont run a fridge for long.... a generator that runs off your fuel tank would be a better option ... but not cheap

cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

I saw some solar panels at Harbor Freight Tools a while back that seemed really cheap (as in price, don't know about quality). I don't remember exact numbers but I think they were rated at 45 watts and were priced in the neighborhood of $150-$200.

If you combined one or two of these with an inverter and one or two deep cycle batteries, you could have an independant and self-sustaining system to power your fridge. You could wire it completely separately from all your other electricals. Might want to add a Battery Minder charger to the circuit to help maintain batteries at the proper charge level.

Since you will probably want constant power to your fridge, it seems to me it would make sense to have it on a circuit and power source that's independant of your other electrical uses like lighting and so forth, since your other power requirements will be intermittent. Using solar w/batteries for constant use appliances and a genset with separate batteries for intermittently used items makes the most sense to me, because it would be difficult to fit enough solar panels on your roof to power everything, and very expensive as well. But using solar just for your fridge (and perhaps a small panel to maintain fully charged house batteries) might actually save you money in the long run, in terms of genset fuel and maintainance, since you'd then be running your genset less often.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:08 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

i suppose that what u use ur rig for is what makes all the difference ...boon-docking,,,, rv parks ,,,wallydocking...its just what u have to work with really???
versatility is thee key in my opinion...but it is still an opinion ...
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote