Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
Scared to Post

Mini Portable AC

Hi there!

We’re trying to finish our conversion project on a budget and we’re already over budget! To save money I thought maybe we opt out of a mini split AC unit and instead get mini portable AC units.

The one I was looking is the Blaux Mini AC unit. Everything I’ve read seems to point to it working really well and if we went this route we would have multiple in the bus.

My only hesitation with going this route is that I’m worried about the humidity that these units would give off. I wonder if this would be an issue or not and if the simple solution would be to get a dehumidifier and other dehumidifying products.

Does anyone have any experience using these in their skoolie? Pros? Cons?
Here is the link: https://www.getmyblaux.com/en/index-miniac.html?icta=order-miniac-v1.html&loader=1&fomo=1&Affid=2981&s1=&s2=&s3=&s4= 2667&s5=&domain1=www.finegizmos.com&network_id=69& DirectLink=Y&ea=5SBDPWB&eo=5P8M3S8&uid=8472&cc=298 1CC2667&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6emn6v6L7AIVFBLnCh1YlAmG EAAYASAAEgLbZPD_BwE

country_squired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
That’s not an air conditioner. It’s an evaporative cooler that would work well in Arizona or any place that’s hot with relative humidity under 25%. Even at that, you would have to hold that thing to your face to feel any comfort. It will not cool a space.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
pretty much what Bus'n it says.. these are swamp coolers.. dehumidifiers use lots of power and actually create heat.. so if you used these water evaporators and then a dehumidifier you are using alot of energy and not gaining much..

these type of portable coolers are great for people who are sitting at their work desk and the office is a little warm.. you can blow some cool air right on you kind of like a dashboard vent in a cliub wagon van.. blows cool air on you but never gets the inside cool..

if you want to air-condition while you are driving then buy a bus with factory A/C.. if you want to stay cool on hot nights while camping then install a minisplit or rooftop camper A/Cs and the electrical system to support them..

these desktop mini's as bus'n it mentioned might take the edge off if you are in an area like a desert with almost no humidity but then its so hot outside you'd be hard pressed to get much relief..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I saw that thing on Facebook and sat through their 30 min video as I was curious to see how some 9 year old kid was going to change the world and provide "AC" to the rest of the world with this mini swamp cooler. To say i was upset for spending that much time until the end to find out what it really was is an understatement. That said, there are many knockoffs for even cheaper and nicer than that unit but it won't do you much good if you are planning to cool a space. Any space. Beg, borrow or steal, but you will need AC for your bus for real comfort.
I won first place in an early 80's grade school swamp cooler science fair with my cardboard box AC with wet hanging sponges across a toy car motor attached to a plastic propeller fan. The 10 year old kid next to me was paying me 5¢ an hour for me to run it and had it pointing at his desk. Little did I know the financial value of 4 D size Duracell batteries at $1.89 for two at the time would yield maybe an hour and a half of run time!
Old 09-29-2020, 03:47 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Good story Bus'n it!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:49 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
For sure you don't want a swamp cooler, but you might be tempted to get a portable air conditioner (the kind that is all inside with a hose that runs to the outside). (not as bad as a swamp cooler since it actually provides real air conditioning, but still bad).

Your best bet for AC on the cheap is window units, even though removing them from the window every time you drive somewhere would be a royal pain.

Tags
air conditioner, budget, skoolie