Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Mini split advice

It seems I've got a 10% discount from EBAY good for the next week or two, up to a $50.00 discount. The two high ticket items I have set aside are solar panels and a couple of mini splits I am trying to look at.

I won't be using either for at least 8-12 months so I think the mini split would be safer and easier to store. There are many more deals on solar panels, so I think getting a 40-50$ discount on a mini split is worth it as well.

I'm looking at this in particular: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-000-BTU-...t/264451790628

There's several just like it actually, so I think they are all the same. They all come with 11' of copper. SO I have to try to measure this week as well and see if that's enough run. My plan is to place it over the windows either above the couch area or maybe the kitchen sink.

There will be about 12' in the back of the bus divided off, bedroom/bathroom area. Cooling that area will have to come at a later date.

So this would be cooling about 17' in the front of the bus up to the windshield. Hopefully mount the outside unit directly underneath.

Anyway my questions:
Should I stick with something more name brand, or are they all basically manufactured together in China anyway?

Is the installation kit missing anything that I need that should come with it?

is the 12000 Overkill for that space? I had a 9000BTU saved, but really, with the discount I figure why not get a unit that won't be running maxed out all the time. Unless the 9000BTU is more than enough anyway (but I doubt it).

I did a search but most of the regulars here were chiming in and setting their systems up 2 years ago. I was trying to search how they were working for you since then, but not getting too much for answers.

Thanks, as always, for your varied and confusing perspectives.

JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Semi edit. That wasn't necessarily the right link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-000-BTU-...T/352657210272

This one has free shipping, but costs the same as the other shipped anyway lol. ut it lists the Toshiba compressor specifically, and the refrigerant R410a, which I assume is standard.

Same questions as above!
Old 02-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
Semi edit. That wasn't necessarily the right link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-000-BTU-...T/352657210272

This one has free shipping, but costs the same as the other shipped anyway lol. ut it lists the Toshiba compressor specifically, and the refrigerant R410a, which I assume is standard.

Same questions as above!
I was going to say that your first link was a dang good price. I bought the one in the second link, but then realized your first had $98 shipping while the other was free shipping, making the free shipping one cheaper. !st link $489.99, second link is $.99 cheaper.12Kk BTU is not going to marginal.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:02 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I was going to say that your first link was a dang good price. I bought the one in the second link, but then realized your first had $98 shipping while the other was free shipping, making the free shipping one cheaper. !st link $489.99, second link is $.99 cheaper.12Kk BTU is not going to marginal.
I was thinking you had a window unit in yours. Did you just now buy this one in the link?
Old 02-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
We bought a SuperAir 12k, 110v unit and had it in the box for a year before installing it. Didn't seem to do it any harm. We upgraded from the 15' line set to 25' when we bought it. It's just copper tubing so nothing magical. Turns out we had to add 20' more to get the units where we needed so I bought more tubing and flare nuts at Home Depot. We mounted the units and ran the lines (tubing and electrical) and then had an HVAC guy come over. Except for the fact that the weather was horrible for charging the system (32 deg and 100% humidity) it went well.

The compressor/evap unit is mounted above the rear door and in the spring we will add flexible lines to the end of the copper lines to eliminate any possible issues with vibration.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
I was thinking you had a window unit in yours. Did you just now buy this one in the link?
Bought it last year. Just stuck the window unit in while building out. I can keep it as a dedicated garage A/C, the minisplit services the cabin.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
We bought a SuperAir 12k, 110v unit and had it in the box for a year before installing it. Didn't seem to do it any harm. We upgraded from the 15' line set to 25' when we bought it. It's just copper tubing so nothing magical. Turns out we had to add 20' more to get the units where we needed so I bought more tubing and flare nuts at Home Depot. We mounted the units and ran the lines (tubing and electrical) and then had an HVAC guy come over. Except for the fact that the weather was horrible for charging the system (32 deg and 100% humidity) it went well.

The compressor/evap unit is mounted above the rear door and in the spring we will add flexible lines to the end of the copper lines to eliminate any possible issues with vibration.
This one comes with 11 foot of copper. I am hoping to mount the compressor underneath between the tires. I don't see this seller offering an upgrade and I'm wondering if 11 feet is enough.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Bought it last year. Just stuck the window unit in while building out. I can keep it as a dedicated garage A/C, the minisplit services the cabin.
Cool. No pun intended.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
This one comes with 11 foot of copper. I am hoping to mount the compressor underneath between the tires. I don't see this seller offering an upgrade and I'm wondering if 11 feet is enough.
We were thinking of undermounting it at first, but went for the rear mount to avoid all the road grime and salt. Adding more line is no big deal, just need a flare tool. The unit should come with calculations to show how much 410A to add based on additional line length. It should only be a very small amount. Our whole unit only takes around 2 pounds.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
I am interested in using mini splits for my project also. My concern is the longevity of the units. I can't find enough long term info to see how they would do bouncing down the road over a long period.
bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
following. Minisplit is one of my next purchases.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I put in a 12k BTU 110v minisplit in my build. No issues thus far. I mounted the outside unit in a storage bay under the bus, adding additional venting to the compartment and shielding the lineset from debris.

I also have a rooftop unit for when I have 50A service. The minisplit can be run from my inverter as we're rolling down the road. We've also enjoyed the heat from the mini split on those chilly nights/mornings. My unit was a different brand, but functionally identical.

The factory flares on the lineset were junk, so I re-did them and used Nylog(https://www.amazon.com/Refrigeration.../dp/B008HOSQQQ) to ensure a good connection. Other than that, no issues.
humangoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by humangoogle View Post
I put in a 12k BTU 110v minisplit in my build. No issues thus far. I mounted the outside unit in a storage bay under the bus, adding additional venting to the compartment and shielding the lineset from debris.

I also have a rooftop unit for when I have 50A service. The minisplit can be run from my inverter as we're rolling down the road. We've also enjoyed the heat from the mini split on those chilly nights/mornings. My unit was a different brand, but functionally identical.

The factory flares on the lineset were junk, so I re-did them and used Nylog(https://www.amazon.com/Refrigeration.../dp/B008HOSQQQ) to ensure a good connection. Other than that, no issues.
Thanks for the knowledge. I was assuming they were all the same under different brand names. That seems to be the case.

I didn't buy mine yet. Spending my money elsewhere this week.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:37 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridg73988 View Post
I am interested in using mini splits for my project also. My concern is the longevity of the units. I can't find enough long term info to see how they would do bouncing down the road over a long period.

There is a reason vehicle ac systems use flexible high temp/pressure hoses instead of copper tubes and the reason is not cost. If I was going to be mobile a lot I would not use copper tubing.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:41 AM   #15
Bus Nut

That is why we will replace the copper tubing going to the outside unit once the weather warms up. The tubing inside the bus should be fine, but the last foot or two should be flexible.

The HVAC guy that helped us said he did one other in a cutaway bus where he took the external unit apart and put the compressor inside with new lines going to the fan unit which they mounted under the belly.