Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2022, 09:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Texas
Posts: 29
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: Unsure.Handicap bus
Mini Split Question

Has anyone installed a mini split AC heat pump on the front of a dog nose school bus? I think the interior component would install just fine. Wondering where to mount the compressor.

My build has the "bedroom" right behind the driver seat, kitchen/bathroom in the middle and rear area for sitting/entertaining/TV etc.
Main entrance when parked is going to be through the rear of the bus.

I have a roof top AC available to me, but I would rather be able to use the emergency exit to access roof for a future roof deck and solar panel project.

Mr_Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:04 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Jax Beach, FL
Posts: 56
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
You can buy long linesets. I had a 50fter for my house andmmy outdoor unit was precharged for up to 50ft.
Check the manual of the one your buying for limits. Otherwise, you have to have add 410a.
With that, it's up to you, you can fit them under the skirt or make a long lineset to the back.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 6
I'm considering the same. with the inside unit above the windshield. haven't seen anyone install in that location yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geenie View Post
Has anyone installed a mini split AC heat pump on the front of a dog nose school bus?
ChrisKatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 518
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
We came across a dog nose skoolie with a mini split in front. The compressor/condenser unit was mounted under the bus in the first part of the side wall that was open between the side and frame rail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OLOP bus front mini split.jpg (131.1 KB, 6 views)
__________________
ONLY YOU can ensure your safety! . . . . . We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto/aviation). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:53 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 15,978
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
minisplits are not precharged for 50 feet.. however long lines are available and they work great.. long linesets wont hurt the compressor esp since your vertical rise is very low on a bus, you will want to top off the refrigerant though... it may cool fine with whats in there but the heat function will be reduced and inefficient unless topped off.. plus with long lines its imperative to vacuum it down to 500 microns or better..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:08 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
kazetsukai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Flemingsburg, KY
Posts: 1,467
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
The lines for our split is roughly 45'-50'. Rear mounted exterior unit, front interior. Works great. Needed extra refrigerant and had the lines professionally vacuumed / installed.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 15,978
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
The lines for our split is roughly 45'-50'. Rear mounted exterior unit, front interior. Works great. Needed extra refrigerant and had the lines professionally vacuumed / installed.
It blows hot and cold but is it running efficiently? Did the book say itís charged for 50í? Do pressures match PT and sub cooling on spec?

My units ďrunĒ when low on charge too but they run best and most efficient when properly evacuated and charged.. and I back that up with data I record on power usage and PT measurements
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
kazetsukai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Flemingsburg, KY
Posts: 1,467
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
It blows hot and cold but is it running efficiently? Did the book say itís charged for 50í? Do pressures match PT and sub cooling on spec?

My units ďrunĒ when low on charge too but they run best and most efficient when properly evacuated and charged.. and I back that up with data I record on power usage and PT measurements
If you look at my build thread I've had nothing but glowing praise for this thing, its like magic. Again, professionally done. We had a vacuum pulled and held overnight, then gas filled to specification.



I have little to no faith for "DIY split installations", working with gas lines requires proper tools, processes, etc. I bought a nice unit for efficiency after all, why undermine that with a sloppy job. I have a second exterior unit mounted at this point but haven't installed the interior unit for it yet. That will be a much shorter run, around 10', but still will have a pro come out and do the lineset.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 15,978
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
If you look at my build thread I've had nothing but glowing praise for this thing, its like magic. Again, professionally done. We had a vacuum pulled and held overnight, then gas filled to specification.



I have little to no faith for "DIY split installations", working with gas lines requires proper tools, processes, etc. I bought a nice unit for efficiency after all, why undermine that with a sloppy job. I have a second exterior unit mounted at this point but haven't installed the interior unit for it yet. That will be a much shorter run, around 10', but still will have a pro come out and do the lineset.

got it.. i was thinking this thread was about whether gas needed to nbe added when someone runs a 40-50' lineset.. my point was that a run it without adding freon results in lower efficiency.. ive got minisplits in my house I installed in 2009 and 2010 and they are fantastic.. mine are ducted into my normal ducting system of the house and i also have high praise for them.. they are the tops as far as im concerned when it comes to cooling and mild heating
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 56
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB
Hey Mr.G
I'm doing the same thing, putting a mini split above the windshield of the bus. I made a locker recessed into the side of the bus behind the driver seat for the outside unit. I had to move the chassis battery box forward in the process.






__________________
His only defense was to answer a question she didn't ask.
Mercuric Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.