Old 08-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Mini split vs rv roof top unit

Been trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a/c. Does anybody have any preferneces either way? Is one more efficient then the other? I dont know much about any of these units but I plan on being in open sun alot during The summer and where I'm located it can easily reach 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity on and average summer day. So any thoughts or advice on the subject are appreciated
Kdebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Oh my... there are plenty of opinions on this!!

Your situation sounds like about the worst possible scenario. I wonder if it can even be handled?? Obviously, LOTS of insulation is an absolute must!

It appears you have a mini but nothing else is obvious. Can you shed some more light on the situation? I assume you are going to have shore power? How much (30 amp or 50 amp hookup)?
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I've got a full sized rear engine bus. Ceiling has 2 inch of spray foam insulation and walls are insulated with 3 inches of foam board insulation and reflective behind that. I took out about half of all the windows.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Oh my... there are plenty of opinions on this!!

Your situation sounds like about the worst possible scenario. I wonder if it can even be handled?? Obviously, LOTS of insulation is an absolute must!

It appears you have a mini but nothing else is obvious. Can you shed some more light on the situation? I assume you are going to have shore power? How much (30 amp or 50 amp hookup)?
If you are assuming he has a mini due to "Mini Skoolie" under his name, you would be mistaken. The line is site generated and changes on post counts. Did you put that you are a bus nut under your name?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
Site Team

Yes, I was making that assumption. I was searching as deeply as possible trying to find some bit of information to help the OP. I had not even noticed what was under my name. I am terribly sorry that I offended. Perhaps a stronger public lashing is due? Or, perhaps some useful bit of information for the OP about this particular topic?? Wanna tell me what power source he/she has available??
Old 08-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Yes, I was making that assumption. I was searching as deeply as possible trying to find some bit of information to help the OP. I had not even noticed what was under my name. I am terribly sorry that I offended. Perhaps a stronger public lashing is due? Or, perhaps some useful bit of information for the OP about this particular topic?? Wanna tell me what power source he/she has available??

Without making assumptions, no I can't tell you anything. That's why it is important when joining a forum to fill out your profile so we at least have an inkling of what we are dealing with and that you want to be part of the community.
You didn't offend me or anyone else likely. I, like you had no answer for the OP with no info to start with.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I think this has been discussed many times on this forum. The inverter type mini splits are more efficient, quieter and harder to install and pretty much have no warranty when installed in something that moves. The RV roof airs are noisy and easy to install.
That being said, I have two 12,500 btu mini splits that have kept me quite comfy when sitting in the sun at about 95 degrees. Don't know the humidity but it was quite high. I have a white roof and whatever insulation came in the ceiling. About 1.5" of the pink Styrofoam in the walls and 2". All of the school bus windows are gone, all of my larger windows are double pane.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
You can also easily find used working rooftop units cheap
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Haveing used rooftop units in campers, my bus and other applications, it is likely you would need 3 units of 15,000 btu's each during the hottest part of the day. So 45,000 btu or so. I have heard good things about mini splits, but have not used one yet. The noise from rooftop ones is not bad, but is enough after a while to be a bother if you are noise sensitive.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Haveing used rooftop units in campers, my bus and other applications, it is likely you would need 3 units of 15,000 btu's each during the hottest part of the day. So 45,000 btu or so. I have heard good things about mini splits, but have not used one yet. The noise from rooftop ones is not bad, but is enough after a while to be a bother if you are noise sensitive.
I spent quite a bit of time in my first bus in 100F+ temps.

I had two 12k btu roof air's and two inches of spray foam insulation.

If I had three root air's as Ronnie suggests I probably would have been comfortable.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:08 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Right now I have a 13kbtu window unit installed in the back of the bus wall bulkhead above the engine. I was thinking of getting 2 advent 15kbtu rv air conditioners as well. At the moment electric is not installed in bus but when finished I'll be able to run off of solar with a 700amp hour battery bank,shore power haven't decided 30amp or 50 amp yet or my 9000watt generator. So all together that would be 43kbtu you guys think that'll be enough to keep us cool?
Old 08-23-2018, 06:21 AM   #12
Site Team

I can't answer the question but can tell you that 30 amp shore power is really not enough for two roof A/C units (of the size mentioned).

On paper, it is (barely). From what I've seen in real life, this pushes things too far. I suspect this is because of all the other things that may also be running simultaneously (refrigerator, microwave, cooktop, coffeemaker, water heater, etc.). It works if you are careful to control the load. 50 amp is far better (since it is actually a total of 100 amps (@110VAC)).

Regardless, you'll need 50 amp if you plan to take full advantage of your 9000 watt generator.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:55 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the advice. I'm not savvy when it comes to electrical. I plan on outsourcing that project to a local car audio place that specializes in party buses a things of that nature