Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #1

Need help removing ceiling!

Hey all, hope you're having a great weekend. I just bought my Skoolie and am getting ready to take the ceiling out. I'm not at all a diy person and this is my very first project(I know how crazy that sounds but I'm trying to give it everything I've got.) This is going to sound like such a simple question but does anyone know how to remove these? I don't see these in any videos I watch about ceiling removal. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for everything!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200509_124940.jpg  

Gringourd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringourd0 View Post
Hey all, hope you're having a great weekend. I just bought my Skoolie and am getting ready to take the ceiling out. I'm not at all a diy person and this is my very first project(I know how crazy that sounds but I'm trying to give it everything I've got.) This is going to sound like such a simple question but does anyone know how to remove these? I don't see these in any videos I watch about ceiling removal. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for everything!
Those are rivets. If you expand your search to include ceiling rivet removal you will find several ways. Easiest if you have a compressor and air chisel. I tried several things and finally took my angle grinder and a flap disc to them.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #3

I drilled mine out. Simple and effective
Starlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
A large air compressor and air chisel with a sharpened chisel would be the fastest. You do have to use a punch to remove the mandrel from the center of the rivot before hitting it with the chisel. If you do not have access to those either drilling or grinding as previously mentioned are good options.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
Rated Cap: 66
Here's a tip if you go the air chisel route. Buy one with a 4" stroke. It'll be heavy and your arms might get tired holding that thing over your head, but it will make much quicker work out of those rivets than a medium stroke chisel.

I learned this the hard way. The aluminum rivets on my skoolie were no problem, but the steel ones were a bear to wrestle with. I finally decided to upgrade the chisel and now they cut like the aluminum ones did with the shorter stroke.
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeGuy View Post
Here's a tip if you go the air chisel route. Buy one with a 4" stroke. It'll be heavy and your arms might get tired holding that thing over your head, but it will make much quicker work out of those rivets than a medium stroke chisel.

I learned this the hard way. The aluminum rivets on my skoolie were no problem, but the steel ones were a bear to wrestle with. I finally decided to upgrade the chisel and now they cut like the aluminum ones did with the shorter stroke.

What air chisel you using?

~Scott
lawdog71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog71 View Post
What air chisel you using?

~Scott
I went with the Chief Professional Long Barrel from Harbor Freight after seeing some great reviews. It's under $100 with a 20% off coupon, and it really performs. I just finished knocking out all the rivets in our ceiling, over 600 of them, in much less time than it took to hit the walls.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringourd0 View Post
I'm not at all a diy person and this is my very first project(I know how crazy that sounds but I'm trying to give it everything I've got.)
Damn! I am very much a DIY person and I'm finding the task somewhat herculean in size and scope. There is so much to learn!

My hat's off to you! Don't get discouraged, because it will be a ton of work (probably much more than you realize right now) but it's going to be worth the effort, both as a learning experience and as a reward in accomplishment.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird 72 passenger
Chassis: international 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
I have been doing it with a cold chisel and 3# hammer. I only have a couple of sheets left on the ceiling. It was the cheapest option for me and I prefer it to grinding.
rdrnek3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrnek3 View Post
I have been doing it with a cold chisel and 3# hammer. I only have a couple of sheets left on the ceiling. It was the cheapest option for me and I prefer it to grinding.
Jeez man, I almost quit and sold my bus after attempting to remove ceiling rivets that way. You get the Popeye Award for sure.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Engine: dt466
I also used a cold chisel and a #3 hammer but first i cut an X in the center with my angle grinder. Once I started cutting an X in the center, it made the job so much easier. Was so happy when I got the 1,153rd rivet out!
If I can do it, you can too as I was only 110 lbs at the time lol.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird 72 passenger
Chassis: international 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
I did most of the ceiling this last Sunday. I needed a couple of days to recuperate I'll probably finish it up this afternoon. Once you get on a roll it isn't too bad. I got in a rhythm 3 good hard blows and the rivet is cut.
rdrnek3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:56 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Engine: dt466
edit: I used a 4# hammer.