Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

No compressor no Freon?

Hi everyone! So after much thought, arguments and research we've decided to take the AC unit out of our school bus. We've thought it through and for our needs and purposes we won't be needing the AC.

Saying that, this morning I inspected the engine and AC. I followed the hoses looking for components for removal ect. and to my surprise I couldn't find the Compressor. Upon further inspection I found a pair of hoses that were sealed up which Im assuming went to and from the compressor unit that was removed. The
bus is a 3000 International year 1990 with DT466.

A note on this bus is that it was under government contract with the forest service before I got it. So the engine (so I've been told) was rebuilt at least once. Maybe these fire fighters removed the ac unit? or maybe the fleet mechanics did? Regardless, the fact is that I don't see an AC compressor. And it makes sense. I drove it 20 miles to the weigh station when I was registering it and when I turned the AC unit on it was more like a fanning than cooling.

so my question is this:

Ive been calling around asking for quotes on FREON removal, and they range from 100-300 near me. Yet after researching a bit on others forums it seems like this compressor thing is the life of the AC system. Could it be that I won't need to get Freon removed and just continue with the demo? Or should I still take it in to be on the safe side? It seems like the right course of action when removing the Compressor is to drain the freon before doing so, and I don't think fleet mechanics would do something like that when working on government contracts.

I've attached some pictures of the hoses and pictures of the engine for reference. I highly doubt it could be anywhere else since its such an older bus. Let me know your thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6567.jpg   IMG_9553.jpg  

BusDreamerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
It has already been removed. Don't fret this.