Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2022, 02:16 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Just looked up some of these 12 and 24 volt AC units. Compared to the 110VAC units they are POWER HUNGRY.

9000 BTU 110/20VAC mini split - about 800 watts when running
22VDC at 850W (35.4A) = about 7,250 BTU cooling

Even with the inefficiency of converting DC to AC, the AC units seem to be far more efficient. This is just a cursory glance at the mathmatics of ohms law.

While I thought OH WOW, I think I'll be sticking with the many more thousands of units sold, based on decades of technology rather than a relatively small sector of the market that seems to be on the edge.

We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:31 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Just looked up some of these 12 and 24 volt AC units. Compared to the 110VAC units they are POWER HUNGRY.

9000 BTU 110/20VAC mini split - about 800 watts when running
22VDC at 850W (35.4A) = about 7,250 BTU cooling

Even with the inefficiency of converting DC to AC, the AC units seem to be far more efficient. This is just a cursory glance at the mathmatics of ohms law.

While I thought OH WOW, I think I'll be sticking with the many more thousands of units sold, based on decades of technology rather than a relatively small sector of the market that seems to be on the edge.
Interesting! I was just pondering whether DC units existed earlier today. I usually hate converting DC to AC to DC, but the compressor, fan, and heating in a mini split are likely all more efficient as AC devices and draw the most power.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:40 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Ham in my opinion the refrigerant has alit to do with it.. most common mini splits are sold with 410A (some are showing up with R32 but that’s still rare)..

410A is really an excellent heat mover .. it does it’s job very well however does not like high condenser temperatures.. my guess is these 12/24 units use either 134a or 1234yf which as a mobile refrigerant is good and can also handle the high condenser temps for mobile use (and half the pressure).

People in the skoolie community have proven that regular mini splits work great even with double pressure and being on the go.. for some reason 12 VDC air conditioners just don’t have the balls that the mini splits do…. What’s interesting is a regular mini split runs on a DC motor … albeit not a standard one like I’m sure those 12V do.. or maybe I’m wrong I didn’t read their specs to see if they run an inverter style drive or not..

I’ve seen plenty of mini splits in 120 bolt AC versions up to 12k BTU.. to me seems easy as 120 volt inverters are everywhere…

It may also be some machines are built better than others .. my Chevy volt had a 12 volt A/C system in it and it was the damn coldest car A/C I had run across since my 1976 Cadillac with the old GM A6. Compressor (that car was wicked cold)…. My current 2022 Hyundai hybrid has a 12 volt A/C and it’s quite wimpy… I usually enjoy really hot days driving with the windows down and the A/C blasting.. not in that car… it barely cools unless you close the windows and set recirc
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:00 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Ham in my opinion the refrigerant has alit to do with it.. most common mini splits are sold with 410A (some are showing up with R32 but thatís still rare)..

410A is really an excellent heat mover .. it does itís job very well however does not like high condenser temperatures.. my guess is these 12/24 units use either 134a or 1234yf which as a mobile refrigerant is good and can also handle the high condenser temps for mobile use (and half the pressure).

People in the skoolie community have proven that regular mini splits work great even with double pressure and being on the go.. for some reason 12 VDC air conditioners just donít have the balls that the mini splits doÖ. Whatís interesting is a regular mini split runs on a DC motor Ö albeit not a standard one like Iím sure those 12V do.. or maybe Iím wrong I didnít read their specs to see if they run an inverter style drive or not..

Iíve seen plenty of mini splits in 120 bolt AC versions up to 12k BTU.. to me seems easy as 120 volt inverters are everywhereÖ

It may also be some machines are built better than others .. my Chevy volt had a 12 volt A/C system in it and it was the damn coldest car A/C I had run across since my 1976 Cadillac with the old GM A6. Compressor (that car was wicked cold)Ö. My current 2022 Hyundai hybrid has a 12 volt A/C and itís quite wimpyÖ I usually enjoy really hot days driving with the windows down and the A/C blasting.. not in that carÖ it barely cools unless you close the windows and set recirc

Oh back BTD (Before The divorce) I used to love driving 12 months a year with the top down on the SLK 280 with the AMG suspension package.
Pulled in to the AG inspection station in January, snow falling, and the guy says "must be a cold ride"..... "Nope, heated seats, heater on full bore, neck heaters are blasting, its a Mercedes". Heck we weren't even wearing gloves and our jackets were completely unzipped.

July/August, top down or course, AC on full bore, windows up, comfy as all get out.

Well designed systems cost money or have been around for decades and the R&D recovery is done so prices can come down. Unproven systems rely on early adopters to return some cash to the company revenue flow. Those who's products are a hit survive and then the main block of adopters propel company profits. These DC systems available on Amazon seem to be for early adopters. I'll wait until the tech is developed and the bugs worked out.
It's kind of like buying that flashy new retro Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger the first year out.....ton's of bugs to work out but hey, You've got one. I'm the guy that waits 4 or 5 years and buys the model that has the bugs fixed.
Mini Splits for us.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 07-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh back BTD (Before The divorce) I used to love driving 12 months a year with the top down on the SLK 280 with the AMG suspension package.
Pulled in to the AG inspection station in January, snow falling, and the guy says "must be a cold ride"..... "Nope, heated seats, heater on full bore, neck heaters are blasting, its a Mercedes". Heck we weren't even wearing gloves and our jackets were completely unzipped.

July/August, top down or course, AC on full bore, windows up, comfy as all get out.

Well designed systems cost money or have been around for decades and the R&D recovery is done so prices can come down. Unproven systems rely on early adopters to return some cash to the company revenue flow. Those who's products are a hit survive and then the main block of adopters propel company profits. These DC systems available on Amazon seem to be for early adopters. I'll wait until the tech is developed and the bugs worked out.
It's kind of like buying that flashy new retro Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger the first year out.....ton's of bugs to work out but hey, You've got one. I'm the guy that waits 4 or 5 years and buys the model that has the bugs fixed.
Mini Splits for us.

thats what i like about having my new 32000 BTU Dashboard A/C in the old loadstar... i can drive with the folding door open and have the A/C blasting on me..

neck heaters in a benz? wow thats just fantastic!! almost as good as the newer cars with heated steering wheels .. now if they could just make Cooled steering wheels..

I LOVED the seats in older mercedes cars.. they were just the best ever.. esp benz of the 70s and 80s..

you are right about 1st year cars... twice now ive had buggy cars because I saw shiny and had to have it..

first one was my 4 door Wrangler.. had to have it.. so mamny electrical issues.. heck id had other wranglers by then that were just fine.. (the gold old jeep I-6 4.0).. but that one I lemon-Lawed and Jeep buillt me a brand new one (next model year) and it was oerfect...

in 2019 they came out with the new Jeep Pickup and I just had to have one!! .. I didnt have any terrible electrical issues but the darn thing wandered all over the highway worse than a bus in a windstorm... that 2 year lease ended and I went back toi the tried and true Ram truck and its perfect..
Old 07-10-2022, 11:29 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Quote:
neck heaters in a benz? wow thats just fantastic!! almost as good as the newer cars with heated steering wheels .. now if they could just make Cooled steering wheels..

Yep neck heaters. And not just heaters...SMART heaters. German designed neck heaters.
If an American car company had designed those neck heaters (literally blew warm air right on your neck) You'd have hit the switch and gotten blasted with cold air until the heating element was up to temp and warming the air going past it. Not the 2006 SLK 280 with the AMG package. Nope.... you hit the switch and nothing happened....... until there was warm air to blow on your neck.

She got the Benz, the dog, two free and clear houses. I got the 40 acres that was upside down by about 200,000 the bills, and a 50k tied up in escrow to pay bills with.

I'm happier though. Just wish she hadn't picked Belize to move to as I was going to do that.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:29 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yep neck heaters. And not just heaters...SMART heaters. German designed neck heaters.
If an American car company had designed those neck heaters (literally blew warm air right on your neck) You'd have hit the switch and gotten blasted with cold air until the heating element was up to temp and warming the air going past it. Not the 2006 SLK 280 with the AMG package. Nope.... you hit the switch and nothing happened....... until there was warm air to blow on your neck.

She got the Benz, the dog, two free and clear houses. I got the 40 acres that was upside down by about 200,000 the bills, and a 50k tied up in escrow to pay bills with.

I'm happier though. Just wish she hadn't picked Belize to move to as I was going to do that.

now I know why im Gay and single... No Big D in my future...

hey but at least you have 40 Acres to turn your rig around....

Old 07-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Whatís interesting is a regular mini split runs on a DC motor Ö albeit not a standard one like Iím sure those 12V do..
The little bit of reading I did said that the inverter mini split changes AC to DC then, back to AC. They then control the compressor by changing the AC hertz.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:18 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
The little bit of reading I did said that the inverter mini split changes AC to DC then, back to AC. They then control the compressor by changing the AC hertz.
t
here are different ones.. some use an AC 3 phase motor.. others use a Brushless DC 3 phase motor that is frequency driven...
Old 07-11-2022, 02:53 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Quote:
now I know why im Gay and single... No Big D in my future...

hey but at least you have 40 Acres to turn your rig around....

Oh the 40 acres is long gone. Repo'd by the bank when I wouldn't pay them 80K to bring the loan current (and still owe about 40K more than market at the time after negotiating on the second). I told them the situation with the divorce, no cash, and that now that it was indeed awarded to me I could make the payments (it would have been rough but I could have done it) but that there was no way I was going to pay 80k to still be 40k in the hole.
I ended up living there for 4 years without paying a single payment and managed to finish college before it was repo'd (4 months after graduating)

Oh, and being a Marine with about 5 years in Motor T and the rest of my 18 years in Ordnance..... I don't need 40 acres to turn my rig around. I'll just blast a path
Old 07-11-2022, 03:06 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
[QUOTE=HamSkoolie;476037]Oh the 40 acres is long gone. Repo'd by the bank when I wouldn't pay them 80K to bring the loan current (and still owe about 40K more than market at the time after negotiating on the second). I told them the situation with the divorce, no cash, and that now that it was indeed awarded to me I could make the payments (it would have been rough but I could have done it) but that there was no way I was going to pay 80k to still be 40k in the hole.
I ended up living there for 4 years without paying a single payment and managed to finish college before it was repo'd (4 months after graduating)

Oh, and being a Marine with about 5 years in Motor T and the rest of my 18 years in Ordnance..... I don't need 40 acres to turn my rig around. I'll just blast a path[/QUOTE
the mk154 would nice to have on a bus. especially the newest one.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:40 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

I tried to convince my GF to let me put an M2 turret mount on the top of the bus and she said no. Not even a mock up.
She also shut down using Kevlar as the wall and floor insulation.
And I'm limited to a 10 long gun floor safe and 10,000 rounds of ammo.

She's kind of a party pooper some times.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:59 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
mommas getting here own bus now so when i get back to the big bus built as a family camper the game is on.
well after i take a break for awhile and plan my attack.
a gau 30 behind the grille would clear some traffic.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote