Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2024, 05:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Pioneer Mini Split WYS012AMFI22RL SEER2 22.7 Fit Under Bus?

Has anyone installed this under their bus? I see about 30 inches and some change from the frame rail to the edge. It might just barely slide in between the frame rail and wall.

The width of the AC unit is 30-1/8" from the specs here: https://www.pdhvac.com/site/download...WYS-22-001.pdf

The reason I am looking at it is because it lists power usage at 960watts versus the 1340 watts needed for the WYT series here: https://www.pdhvac.com/site/download...YT-19-2020.pdf

I'm looking at the 12,000 BTU units. I want to make sure it will fit before I buy it.

heimlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 05:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
these are different lines.. one is only rated at 17-19 SEER and the other is 21-24 SEER.. I dont know the physical differences but higher SEER units will give you more cooling per watt..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 05:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I understand all that. The better SEER rating one is a lot wider at 30 inches. There's barely 30 inches from the frame to the wall for it to fit. I'm trying to find if someone has fit this in their bus. The lower SEER rating one is 28.14 inches. I want to buy the better one.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:20 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I have a Pioneer WYS012AMFI19RL (12K with heat pump, 19.5 SEER) that I've mounted between the frame rails directly above the front axle. Without knowing what bus you have (please add this and your location to your profile to help others help you), I don't know if this is relevant to you. My condenser unit has several inches of space between the uppermost travel of the axle and the underneath of the unit, and it gets plenty of cool air when driving and when parked. Could you do something like this?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 05:57 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I have a 2003 Blue Bird short bus. 28 foot I think. There is only 30 inches available where I want to put this. I'm thinking it won't fit without some modifications so I might have to get the lower SEER rated one which uses more watts.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:18 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimlich View Post
I have a 2003 Blue Bird short bus. 28 foot I think. There is only 30 inches available where I want to put this. I'm thinking it won't fit without some modifications so I might have to get the lower SEER rated one which uses more watts.

Can it not mount with the fan facing the skirt? That's how I have mine.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:56 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
Can it not mount with the fan facing the skirt? That's how I have mine.

That is what I was planning. On this specific unit I think they packed in a lot more stuff to bring the SEER2 rating up. So it is wider.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:05 AM   #8
Bus Geek

the higher SEER units run a little bit different style compressor, they also use much beefier circuit boards and heat sinks from what ive seen.. so they can use variable speed (instead of multispeed) outdoor fans as well .. on the pioneer specifically im not sure of the differences.. im just going on what ive seen in general for minisplits..

the outdoor coils tend to be larger too.. which gives the unit a better chance in heating mode at lower ambiebt temperatures..

my fujitsu units are much larger in size than my previous Chigo units were, they are also higher SEER rating and have much more robust parts on the boards..

pioneer has been a pretty good unit over the years except for their Gen 1 stuff which was terrible.. they got their act together in the mid 2010's with their Gen 2.. and now their Gen 3 is out (the higher seer)..
Old 05-13-2024, 06:24 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:

Part of what it means to drive a skoolie is to put in some creative engineering to make what you want happen, happen.

But another thing is that, from experience, the habitation and comfort is something you generally don't want to compromise on... And even more so, you generally want to be as efficient as possible over the long run...

If I were you, I would think long and hard to consider trying to figure out a way to get the larger unit that is more efficient, as it should last longer, and should also use less energy. That payoff, over the long run, will probably be worth putting things off for a month or two to try and figure out how to squeeze it in.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 05:00 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C1FE 2509
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9L 24V ~ AT545
Rated Cap: Seats 5. Sleeps 4
Quote:
Has anyone installed this under their bus? I see about 30 inches and some change from the frame rail to the edge. It might just barely slide in between the frame rail and wall.

The width of the AC unit is 30-1/8" from the specs here: https://www.pdhvac.com/site/download...WYS-22-001.pdf

The reason I am looking at it is because it lists power usage at 960watts versus the 1340 watts needed for the WYT series here: https://www.pdhvac.com/site/download...YT-19-2020.pdf

I'm looking at the 12,000 BTU units. I want to make sure it will fit before I buy it.

I have the 12k BTU 115V Pioneer HighSeer (21.5Seer) unit mounted to the frame under my bus. Plenty of clearance for me even with the suspension's airbags deflated. Clearance wise, the bottom of the mount for the outdoor unit isn't lower than the rear differential. The only caveat with my bus is that I have a flat floor(No wheel wells) so my floor might sit a little higher than others but I'm not sure.

I have it breathing through a cutout in the side skirt through some retractable steps I installed. When we're out camping, the retractable steps stay deployed until we're ready to start driving so the outdoor unit has plenty of room to breathe. My mudflaps nearly reach the road so the outdoor unit doesn't get hit with road debris. It's been mounted under there for 5 years and thousands of miles now and I haven't had any problems with it.

I'd love to get you a better picture but I have my RV cover on and it's raining soooo this pic will have to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot from 2024-05-18 17-51-44.png  
Bluthebus00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 05:01 PM   #11

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Mini split

You have to have room for airflow don't forget. Are you mounting between the frame and outer edge? You will have to grab a grill on your outer skin if so. If that is what you are doing just space that grill out a couple inches.
JWineland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 05:47 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
https://a.co/d/1jelFDh

Rovsun's are shorter by a couple inches than anything else on the market.
Attached Thumbnails
CB1420F6-1E24-48CF-B9FA-5AD59DB53F37.jpeg   8AD6E64A-2184-4C49-9460-C3A776C4755A.jpeg  
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 06:39 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Camioneta View Post
https://a.co/d/1jelFDh

Rovsun's are shorter by a couple inches than anything else on the market.

these look like CHIGO built units... despite their low price, the chigo units in my house ran for 14 years (15 for one of them) before they started giving up the ghost... (I swapped then with Fujitsu units which are far better quality but are Much more expensive).. they run great buit definitely need to keep the coils clean and whatever you do never let the outside fan get bound up with snow or such as they lack a protection mechanism and will just burn up the board. (dont ask me how I know)...

other than the major players (mitsubishi, Daikin, Fujitsu, LG) there are only a few actual manufacturers of minisplits... they are sold under a zillion different names.. look at the return policy when buying one.. as im noticing lately that they arent packed as well as they once were and are getting bent up in shipping... (minisplits in general).. these say they have 30 day returns..