Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Preferred rooftop a/c?

We're ready to install roof top a/c for our 40' Thomas. I had decided on the recpro 15btu with heatpump, but it seems they are not available now. I am wondering what units yall would recommend based on reliability, low noise, and efficiency, as there seems to be a good many different brands. Also where you recommend purchasing from. I am having trouble finding them online. I plan on installing two 15k btu units both with heat pump non ducted. I would like to spend around 1000$ each.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Coleman Mach series A/Cs are tried-and-true. Not sure if they are available in a heat pump version through.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:57 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Coleman Mach series A/Cs are tried-and-true. Not sure if they are available in a heat pump version through.
We have the Coleman Roughneck III (13.5K BTU) ... it is NOT a heat pump. It does have a "chill chaser" heater option.

Functionality ... it helps while driving in <90 degree weather. While stationary, it works well.

Note: Our bus has standard insulation at present.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridgedell View Post
We're ready to install roof top a/c for our 40' Thomas. I had decided on the recpro 15btu with heatpump, but it seems they are not available now. I am wondering what units yall would recommend based on reliability, low noise, and efficiency, as there seems to be a good many different brands. Also where you recommend purchasing from. I am having trouble finding them online. I plan on installing two 15k btu units both with heat pump non ducted. I would like to spend around 1000$ each.
Curious as to why you want to go with rooftop A/C in that price range when you could get a mini split for the same or cheaper? I have a couple rooftop units, but not sure if I want to rely on them at their age. If I'm buying new, I will definitely choose mini split over rooftop.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I ordered my two Coleman Mach 8 15k btu heat pumps from rvautoparts.com. There are several different models so be certain. For example, I wanted the units with the condensation pump.

I don't find mine to be terribly loud but occasionally, walking around an RV park, I'll notice one running that seems very quiet. Not sure if that is a make/model thing, only the fan running (not condenser), or what. If I didn't already own them, I might make inquiries.

Edit: rvautoparts.com had the best price at the time - May of 2018.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Curious as to why you want to go with rooftop A/C in that price range when you could get a mini split for the same or cheaper? I have a couple rooftop units, but not sure if I want to rely on them at their age. If I'm buying new, I will definitely choose mini split over rooftop.

the space and install effort.. a rooftop unit you pretty much cut a hole run a wire and drop it in.. and its self contained..

the minisplit is more like a regular A/C install for a building.. and you need wall space for the indoor unit plus under-bus or other space for the outdoor unit..

the most common wall space for a minisplit is the front and rear bulkheads. a buddy of mine wanted full-bus road A/C (and is keeping his school bus windows). so we set him up with dual front / rear bulkhead moubted road A/C evaporators. which leaves little space for a minisplit.. so 2 rooftops are going on his bus.. he plugs into shore power much more often thsan boondocks and has a nice Genset on board for when he does so the starting current of the rooftops arent an issue.. he isnt running solar or battery for the A/Cs..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
Bus Geek

people asking me to fix their A/C's on their RVs rarely have Coleman units and VERY often have dometic units..

just sayin.. im not sure if there are zillions more dometics out there or if they are really that unreliable? but the coleman units just seem much nicer than most dometics I see.. at least the ones a few years old that people asking me to fix..

not sure of the newer dometic stuff.. i dont deal with it.. i always thought dometics were decent until this summer where a lot of RVs got revived and used aftyer sitting.. and my phone rang a lot for A/C's to be made functional being it was a HOT summer (for a change even in ohio)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the space and install effort.. a rooftop unit you pretty much cut a hole run a wire and drop it in.. and its self contained..

the minisplit is more like a regular A/C install for a building.. and you need wall space for the indoor unit plus under-bus or other space for the outdoor unit..

the most common wall space for a minisplit is the front and rear bulkheads. a buddy of mine wanted full-bus road A/C (and is keeping his school bus windows). so we set him up with dual front / rear bulkhead moubted road A/C evaporators. which leaves little space for a minisplit.. so 2 rooftops are going on his bus.. he plugs into shore power much more often thsan boondocks and has a nice Genset on board for when he does so the starting current of the rooftops arent an issue.. he isnt running solar or battery for the A/Cs..

-Christopher
Pretty much my exact reasoning and same set up.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I ordered my two Coleman Mach 8 15k btu heat pumps from rvautoparts.com. There are several different models so be certain. For example, I wanted the units with the condensation pump.

I don't find mine to be terribly loud but occasionally, walking around an RV park, I'll notice one running that seems very quiet. Not sure if that is a make/model thing, only the fan running (not condenser), or what. If I didn't already own them, I might make inquiries.

Edit: rvautoparts.com had the best price at the time - May of 2018.
good to know thank you
Old 10-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Hey, Cadillackid- have you heard/know anything about Furrion rooftop A/C's? Been looking at them...wondering your thoughts...

Thanks!!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #11
Bus Geek

I don’t know anything about longevity however they are a neat system. You put them together as a system for what you want(control method, ducted or not etc).. they seem hard to price out unles you find kits with everything you need for sale. They get good reviews
Old 10-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Nice. Thanks!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:03 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I looked at the Furrion line of RV appliances/AC's. Seems they are made in China and if something goes wrong, you just can't get parts. More like a throwaway. That said, I will take the beating and go for the Furrion Arctic 12v fridge since it has the look we are after. I thought long and hard on mini split units but in the end for the trouble of installing them, dealing with condensate and serviceability issues for where I would mount the condensers, the rooftop units are the way to go. If it breaks, lift it off, toss it out, swap with a new one and be back on the road.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:17 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
I got 2 Coleman Mach/Airxcel rooftop units 13500 BTU’s each - low profile units. I went with them for ease of install and if I only have 15 amp hook ups I can still run it. I avoided 15,000 btu since I didn’t want to risk not running on a 15 amp plug, though I think most would. I installed heat strips along with them and it’s a very nice feature to have since I don’t have to run my propane furnace as much.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:45 PM   #15
Bus Nut

I received my Furrion 14.5 rooftop units. Curious as to those with any brand of roof top units on your skoolies, did you have to do anything special to mount them on the curved roof, or did they sit down fine? I will be cutting my own 14x14" holes since i put in large marine hatches at the emergency roof openings.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:55 PM   #16
Bus Nut

On my roof top air conditioners they have a compressible foam seal that compresses as you tighten it down, it was more than enough to seal around the curve. On the inside I just used wood.... 2x4's I think. wasn't bad at all.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:26 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Voyage View Post
I got 2 Coleman Mach/Airxcel rooftop units 13500 BTU’s each - low profile units. I went with them for ease of install and if I only have 15 amp hook ups I can still run it. I avoided 15,000 btu since I didn’t want to risk not running on a 15 amp plug, though I think most would. I installed heat strips along with them and it’s a very nice feature to have since I don’t have to run my propane furnace as much.
Did you have any issues installing them on the curved roof?
Old 07-03-2021, 02:15 AM   #18
Bus Nut

No problems.