Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2022, 11:45 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
Propane Change Over Regulator

Hi all,

I have this regulator installed on my rig. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to imply that is automatically changes over when one tank empties. But in practice it does not seem to do that. My propane flow also cuts out very infrequently. Like ill have half a tank of propane and i wont get any flow to my appliances. I have to go out to the propane locker. flick the lever on the regulator to another tank. sometimes that fixes flow sometimes it doesnt. Ill disconnect both tanks. switch whips, cycle opening and closing tank and regulator setting. and sometimes that works...

Is this just a bad unit? Can someone recommend a dual tank changeover regulator that actually works well?

Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochey6957 View Post
Hi all,

I have this regulator installed on my rig. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to imply that is automatically changes over when one tank empties. But in practice it does not seem to do that. My propane flow also cuts out very infrequently. Like ill have half a tank of propane and i wont get any flow to my appliances. I have to go out to the propane locker. flick the lever on the regulator to another tank. sometimes that fixes flow sometimes it doesnt. Ill disconnect both tanks. switch whips, cycle opening and closing tank and regulator setting. and sometimes that works...

Is this just a bad unit? Can someone recommend a dual tank changeover regulator that actually works well?
I don't have one of those but have seen posts elsewhere that indicate there is no 'automatic' version of this. You MUST flip the lever. Probably a safety feature?

The fact that your service cuts out periodically even with a partially full tank is a sign something's not right.

First, are your tanks vertical? Can't have them on their side because the propane exiting the tank needs to be gaseous (not liquid).

I've never had a problem with a tank so I did a quick online search and found this:
https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...n-a-gas-grill/

which suggests maybe your regulator gets stuck, or is sticky.

Also Blue Rhino mentions regulator freezing in their troubleshooting section here:
https://bluerhino.com/propane-info/f...eshooting-faqs
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:06 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Cold weather?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:57 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
Yeah I definitely "burped" the tank when I stated I cycled everything.

It has been very cold when this happens. Going to be really lame for my ski bus build to have regulator icing all the time. Any suggestions on how to prevent that?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20211229_120315_02.jpg  
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote