Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2023, 12:38 PM   #1

Year: 2001
Coachwork: international
Chassis: 3000
Engine: dt466
Propane mounting questions

Hi all! I am currently looking to install a proper propane gas stove into my build. I want to mount one of those ASME propane tanks directly underneath where the stove will go inside. Is there are any way to get an ASME tank cheaper or are they all around the $700 range? I also don't know much about the accessories I would need to hook it up to the stove and for filling. Is this something I could hookup my self or should I hire a professional after everything is mounted?

durd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
WOW prices have gone insane. I just looked at them on Amazon and I'm glad we bought ours when we did. We went with the 29.3 gallon tank that went from around $400 pre "covid" to over $700 and are glad we bought when we did.
Is the stove the only propane user you'll have or are you planning on a propane fridge, heat, or? If it's the only thing you might consider non ASME tanks. In our 5th wheel we have a 40# upright and run the stove, fridge, and heat and it lasts a good amount of time even when we're running heat. With just the stove and fridge, it lasts even longer of course.
Or you could go with a two tank BBQ style tank setup with an auto switch over. I had that on a pickup slide in camper and it was great. Run down the tank you're on and it automatically switches to the second tank. Check the switch over valve occasionally and when it's switched you pull the empty and get it filled while never having an interruption. If it's due for re cert you just hit a tank exchange that are all over the place.
Another option would be to check RV salvage yards (in person or online) for an ASME tank.
For filling, an ASME tank under the skirt would need an access door to the gauges and fill connector. You can also install a remote fill if the tank is in a less accessible area. If you go with a cheaper system with BBQ type tanks you'll need access to the whole area with a larger door but it can be built like a storage bay (just be sure to ventilate it at the bottom.
Accessories? On your own there.
DIY install? Check YouTube university (and keep in mind not everyone knows what they're talking about).

Good luck
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessories, mounting, propane, stove