Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #1

Rear AC help

Hey all, I have a 95 Short Bus with rear air. I need help figuring out how to get it working. Heres what I did so for:

1. Added 2 small cans of AC dye (red). Compressor under hood DOES come on. I searched everywhere...no leaks (dye) found anywhere.

2. Hooked up nitrogen bottle, pressurized to 150psi. Let it sit for over an hour...stayed at that pressure.

3. Removed nitro....took freon can off gauge, pulled trigger to release pressure. Added 1 can of 134A and held at 25 psi. I have NO cold air from either rear unit nor front. I did find that compressor only comes on when turning on rear ac fan...NOT front dash fan.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Red Bus.jpg  

Luv2atv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
when you remove the nitrogen did you pull a vacuum in the system

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
First evacuate the system, next you will need up to 4 lbs of r134, the pressures should be around 30 lb low side, 150 high side with a c on. the condenser fans or engine fan depending on the system should be on. If still not cooling, you have other issues.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #4

No, did NOT pull a vacuum. Is that necessary before adding Freon?
Old 08-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #5

Did not evacuate the system. (I take it that means pulling a vacuum?)
Old 08-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

First, the system needs to be evacuated, the nitrogen you added won't compress. Second if you vented the nitrogen and allowed air in the system, it needs to be evacuated and a vacuum pulled to get any moisture out. The vacuum will then pull the refrigerant in. The next step is to connect the refrigerant and let the vacuum pull in as much as possible. Then run the system and add as necessary (I don't know the pressure of that system)

Old 08-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

If the compressor doesn't turn on, it probably has a low pressure cut off that will have to be bypassed in order to charge it the rest of the way. You need the compressor to pull in the refrigerant and pressurize the system.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
MOST SURELY evacuate!! im an A/C guy and I cant stress enough how non condensables (Moisture, Dye (yes even tracer dye in too much quantity can be detrimental), Oil (too much oil will make a system not cool well), Nitrogen, AIR). all will greatly impact (negatively) system performance..

you MAY be able to rent an A/C vacuum pump from an auto parts store. or perhaps a place like Sunbelt rentals. being its summer and moist outside the vacuum pump should run a minimum of an hour on a system like that... if it has been opened up long, id vacuum 2 hours.. your system will have a receiver / dryer. and that has a dessicant in it. which. takes a whilke to get the moisture out of.. moisture is opulled in the presence of a vacuum..

once vacuumed you should be able to punch at least a pound into the system. before you turn it on... punch that first can in Upside down. with the A/C OFF!!!.. this gets the most liquid in ..

now see what your standing pressure is... it should be up there at 60 or above once the refrigerant settles and evaporates... (in a system that size) unless its pretty cool outside...

after a few minutes, now start the van and turn on the A/C. you should see your gauge pressure drop on the low side. typically the low pressure switches are set low enough you can get the compressor to start.. or if they are using the factory system switches, it will kick in and out in and out..

** 25 PSI standing pressure may NOT bde enough to fire a low pressure switch thats been located on the high side. **. as mentioned you may need to find it and put a temporary jumper across the harness to get the system to run..

once you get the compressor running. put in the rest of the refrigerant as a gas.. meaning cans right-side up... the cans will get cold.. I typically have a pitcher of warm water to dip the can in to warm it up.. refrigerant will not flow from a frosty can.

hope this helps a little..

LOVE the red bus!! looks like the little brother to mine!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	3AE5860F-3D6F-4E82-B07C-559F916F5A8F.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	15448

I just evac'd and recharged the A/C on mine.. took out over 8 ounces of non-condensables... and its STILL a bit over-oiled.. but not bad

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
CC, would you come out here and recharge Brunhilde for me?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #10

You rock!!!. Going to borrow a vacuum. Will keep y'all posted