Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Still Looking
Chassis: Eventually a short bus
Engine: Diesel
Rear hydronic heater & under bus piping

So the rear hydronic heater is hooked into the radiator system. I would then assume that when it's running it helps to cool the engine as well. So when it is removed, is anyone having issues with towing and overheating the engine? It seems to be hooked to a water pump located in one of the outside compartments. If the pump isn't working, is there really any reason to keep it plumbed in? Or should it just be removed? It's not my bus, if it were I would just remove it since it seems that it doesn't put out any heat.

Also, when running drain lines under the bus what's the best material to use? I thought galvanized because it has to go under the exhaust pipe.

Thanks for everyone's input. She's taking pictures so when I have them I'll put some up.

DaveLind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: Rear hydronic heater & under bus piping

Why would you think that a "heater" would have anything to do with keeping an engine cool?. The heater is there to make heat in the bus when the engine is not running and/or heat the engine in cold weather to make it start easier. Taking it out or leaving it in isn't going to have any effect on engine overheating. The pump in the side compartment is there to circulate warm water.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We used PVC for our drain lines. Our lines do not get near the exhaust sytem.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

From my understanding of reading about other people's unit is that it is only hot when the engine is running. She removed the unit and lost her radiator fluid. There is also info on here about how to disconnect it from the radiator system. If it were actually a heater, it would have to be plugged into an outside source of power. It's a hydronic heater that only works when the engine is hot. So with that theory, because it's an extension to the radiator and a fan is used to cool off the water as it passes through and back to the engine, It therefore helps cool the engine. So if disconnected, has anyone had an issue with the engine over heating? I view this similar as a transmission cooler that my truck has.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=467570
Old 10-12-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Failure to communicate. Hydronic heat is a system that heats water, and circulates it through a loop with radiators or air to water heat exchangers of some sort. Technically an automotive heating system is one, never heard the heater core described as a hydronic heater. A lot of school buses have a diesel fueled boiler that heats the coolant to aid in cold engine start and fast warmup for the kiddies. I use a Espar hydronic heater for my heating in the bus. Full boiler system with both in floor tubes and also an air to water heater core in each room for additional heat. The engine is only in the system with water to water heat exchanger for heat when the bus is running.
To answer your question yes, theoretically it would aid in cooling the engine. We used to run our heaters full blast in sports cars in parades to help keep them from over heating at those slow speeds. I don't think it would make a hill of beans difference in a cooling system the size of a bus. In standard bus cooling system, when you turn off the heat, you turn off the water to the rear heaters, so it isn't in the system when you might possibly need the extra cooling which is in hot weather.
Buses are basically trucks, made to carry and tow loads. Unless you are pulling something really heavy or big, if the cooling system is working properly you won't have any problem.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info.