Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Remove and Keep Floor Heater

My bus is back from her epic time at the mechanic and I'm ready to get into demo.

I think I'd like to keep the one floor heater but want to remove and treat the floor underneath. I see lots of info on how to remove floor heaters, but am wondering if I need to know anything specific about what to do if I want to eventually use it again. Should I go through the same removal steps?

Also wondering people's thoughts on not keeping it. My passengers will be towards the front and maybe the dash heat would be enough? We're in the northeast and behind the driver's seat is 14ft.

Thank you!

awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the other thing to think about is you dont have to use THAT heater.. you can keep the dash / driver heat and defrost and install an aftermarket heater fpr the back if you want something quieter / more efficient.. Jegs and summit make some nice powerful heaters that will blow away the capacity of the underseat heaters in the rear of a bus..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I removed my mid and rear heaters right after buying my bus. At one point two winters ago, I took a one hour drive over to New Jersey and back while the temperature was a bit below 32°F. The front heaters and defroster kept me nice and toasty ... with an open 8'x8' hole in the floor over the rear wheels.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
When I drive a 40' bus full of kids we have the front, mid and rear heaters. While Seattle isn't the coldest place, it can get a bit chilly. Those three heaters keep the bus at a nice temperature.

So, if you have approximately 17' of interior space, you might just be able to get away with just the front heater/defroster.

My personal bus is 33' and I'm only using the front heater and defroster. I do also have a 19k btu propane furnace in case I'm for some reason in a really cold climate.

That said, since you are in the NE, and I assume can get well below freezing, I think holding onto one of your below the seat heaters would be smart. You can always just not turn it on.

The real question is where are you going to run you heater hose lines, inside the cabin or under the bus?

I ran mine under the bus inside loom and I have some split-foam to put over that. I don't think the foam is necessary, but I bought it before I came up with the loom idea, so might as well use it.

I'm not planning on being in any really cold climates, so I think under the bus will work fine for me.

I also did not want to risk a leak of coolant inside the bus, so now I have no worries about that.

Per removing the heaters, it's basically disconnect the electrical, the heater tube and unscrew them from the floor. Note which tube was from the pump and which was the return line. Not sure it matters, but might as well hook it up the way it was. When you're ready to reinstall, just reverse the steps.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #5
Bus Geek

I replaced my rear heater wit ha jegs heater and added a mid heater as part of one of my A/C's.. when it was -5 outside in february I had my rear,mid, driver 1, driver 2, left defrost, right defrost, stepwell heaters all on high to stay warm without having to wear a coat.. if I just had the front heat on id have froze
Old 06-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilder View Post
behind the driver's seat is 14ft.
So it's a shortie?

Are you going to insulate it? If so you might be able to get away with just the dash heater. I would never attempt it, but then again I live in Wyoming. If you can work the floor heater into your design I would keep it just in case. I drive school bus for a living and from my experience, in a shortie dash heat only will keep you warm if outside temps are above 20F. With insulation you may do better, I don't know.
Gyrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:39 PM   #7
Skoolie

cadillackid, that sounds like a good idea, to install a more efficient jegs or summit heater. If I were to plan on doing that, should I alter my removal of the factory heater in any way? Seems like what I'll be doing is cutting the electrical wires and tubes inside, draining, pulling them out, then making a tube loop underneath. When I get a different heater I guess I'll be buying more tubing and dismantling that loop and connecting the two tubes to the new heater?

musigenesis, sounds like your heaters were working VERY WELL!

Simplicity, it seems my heater hose lines run under the bus. They go right under from under the heater. What is loom and split foam and their purpose? In terms of removal if I am going to reinstall the heater, are you saying not to cut the electrical or heater tubes but disconnect them instead? Or can I patch a cut later? And I guess I wouldn't go about cutting and making a coolant loop under the bus as I would if I remove permanently?

Gyrkin, Yes, it's a shortie. And I am going to insulate. I guess time will tell how much heat I need. My guess is up here just the dash would fall short.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:58 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilder View Post
musigenesis, sounds like your heaters were working VERY WELL!
Yeah, they were - now they're not working at all. No coolant is getting past the valves at the engine (I think maybe they're clogged), so driving last winter was a bit on the chilly side. Now that I have an insulated bulkhead wall closing off the cab, I think just the front heaters will be more than warm enough once they're working again.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:20 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Yeah, they were - now they're not working at all. No coolant is getting past the valves at the engine (I think maybe they're clogged), so driving last winter was a bit on the chilly side. Now that I have an insulated bulkhead wall closing off the cab, I think just the front heaters will be more than warm enough once they're working again.

you dont want no heat in the back esp if you have appliances runniung or anything on your shelves in jars, etc that can freeze.. doesnt take much of a breeze to make things frozen...
Old 06-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Could you drive with a little buddy heater? I like the idea of a separate cab. Partly because at the moment my cab is such an eye sore...ripped drivers seat, pulled out radio, general yuckiness, etc.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #11
Bus Geek

a little buddy heater is the worst thing ever.. and esp while driving I wouldnt even want one on board.. they create tons of moisture and will fog your windows up instantly