Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Removing heater

Im trying to get to and replace the wood under the drivers side heater. It has to be fixed because the wood is super soft. Any and all suggestion welcomed.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180920_161137.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	25927Click image for larger version

Name:	20180920_161135.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	25928

mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats a carpenter.. pull down your electrical panel door and there will be a couple screws through the bottom of that box into the heater unit.. find and remove.. mine were random..

next pull that vertical panel that is just in front of the heater.. it slides up underneath the defroster box.. take out the screws... gently pull it out from the bottom then pull down.. repeat till it pops loose.. (you'll have to remnove the control valve handle)

now pull the front off of the heater box.. screws along its edges..

disconnect the heater hoses going intop the box.. you'll lose alot of coolant (do be sure your underhood valves are closed to minimize the loss)

there are screws going into the floor right along the front and possible one or 2 near the the bus wall..

disconnect the defrost Hose (or cardboard tube.. it may be either). it goes from the box up inside to the defroster vent. stuffed behind where htat vertical panel was)

disconnect the wires, most likely the wires are either clamp-spliced together or are original and just 2 orange and a black or 3 orange going to each motor.. if its like mine there are 3 motors in the box.. MARK THE WIRES.. before cutting them.. then cut them in such a way you can put them back together easily when re-installing the heater.. (yes you want this heater.. its your main source of defrost and driver heat)..

now the box should be able to be rocked back and forth to come out.. it will slide out leaving your electrical panel above intact... if it doesnt move at all make sure you didnt miss a screw..

I had to gently use a pry bar against bus sidewall. low down to get it to start to move.. then it worked its way out pretty good..

NOTE - the ONLY way to replace a motor on those boxes is to remove it from the bus.. so if you are putting it back in.. I STRONGLY suggest brand new motors and cleaning the whole thing up...

I gutted mine and rebuilt it with completely new guts. (I wanted dash A/C)..

hope this helps
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
thats a carpenter.. pull down your electrical panel door and there will be a couple screws through the bottom of that box into the heater unit.. find and remove.. mine were random..

next pull that vertical panel that is just in front of the heater.. it slides up underneath the defroster box.. take out the screws... gently pull it out from the bottom then pull down.. repeat till it pops loose.. (you'll have to remnove the control valve handle)

disconnect the heater hoses going intop the box.. you'll lose alot of coolant (do be sure your underhood valves are closed to minimize the loss)

there are screws going into the floor right along the front and possible one or 2 near the the bus wall..

disconnect the defrost Hose (or cardboard tube.. it may be either). it goes from the box up inside to the defroster vent. stuffed behind where htat vertical panel was)

disconnect the wires, most likely the wires are either clamp-spliced together or are original and just 2 orange and a black or 3 orange going to each motor.. if its like mine there are 3 motors in the box.. MARK THE WIRES.. before cutting them.. then cut them in such a way you can put them back together easily when re-installing the heater.. (yes you want this heater.. its your main source of defrost and driver heat)..

now the box should be able to be rocked back and forth to come out.. it will slide out leaving your electrical panel above intact... if it doesnt move at all make sure you didnt miss a screw..

I had to gently use a pry bar against bus sidewall. low down to get it to start to move.. then it worked its way out pretty good..

NOTE - the ONLY way to replace a motor on those boxes is to remove it from the bus.. so if you are putting it back in.. I STRONGLY suggest brand new motors and cleaning the whole thing up...

hope this helps
-Christopher
From what ive seen that sounds about right. I just pulled the rear heater and dumped almost 6 gallons of nasty brownish green antifreeze into buckets.(radiator flush a must) so im hoping ive gotten most of it already.. just off the top of your head would you know how many gallons of antifreeze it holds? Also thanks for your help!
Old 09-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

hope this helps
-Christopher
Im going clean that whole section..its nasty, but asfor replacing the motor? Not going to do that. Also, no critter nests!
Old 10-31-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Ive found that the stuff i thought was going to be an issue turned out to be nothing..but ive still got a long way to go..lol
Old 10-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Glad you got it figured out!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote