Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #1

Removing Rear AC/Heater, but Keeping Drivers Heater and AC

Hello everyone!

I have questions about a partial removal of my bus' air conditioning and heating system. I intend to keep the drivers AC and heater, and the heater at the front of the bus. I intend to take it up to Alaska and definitely want to retain drivers heat and defrost.

That being said, I have already disconnected the AC unit (evaporator?) from the back of the bus, as well as the small heater that ran towards the back. The first picture I have included will show that I reconnected the circuit for the forward drivers heater.

The rest of the pictures will show what I'm working with. I have one hose that is connected to the compressor in the engine (the other end of which is disconnected and loose under the bus) and another hose that connects from the compressor to the condenser, which is also under the bus.

My question is, if I want to retain the front heater and the drivers heater and AC, but get rid of the extra lines, can I simply cap off the compressor in both places and get rid of the condenser, or do I need to keep the hose that runs from the compressor to the condenser, or what?

Thank you for any and all help!
Attached Thumbnails
image_67193089.jpg   image_55415491.jpg   image_6487327 (1).jpg   image_50425089.jpg   image_50420993.jpg  

CorwinLemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
You may have found and read this thread already, and much of the cautions won't apply if you'll be in Alaska and truly don't need A/C, but I seem to remember that there were some hints in there about how to cap off the compressor to save it.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/th...a-c-27952.html
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:06 PM   #3

Thank you! It seemed more to do with people recommending not removing any of the AC or heating system, and not so much about the experience of folks who decided to keep just the front units.
I'll take a look back through. Cheers!
CorwinLemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Yup, there is that...and it's been a while since I read that whole thread. But I know I read, in one of the A/C removal threads, about capping off the compressor. Essentially, you want to prevent the unused compressor from turning...if you're keeping it in place. If you do keep it in place, either disconnect the wire to the compressor's clutch or remove the belt. Then cap/plug the holes to keep bugs and debris out.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:12 PM   #5

Pardon my ignorance but where is the best place to take my bus to have the units and system checked out? I want to remove it cause it seems like a hassle to deal with but after reading that article I’m not taking it out. I just know squat about them and the from and rear blower won’t turn on but the evaporator outside does turn on. I can’t find anyone that works on split systems around me near Sugar Land TX.
Jrthompson83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c removal, air conditioner, compressor, heater removal, heaterhowto