Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2021, 07:05 PM   #1

repurposing rear AC unit for shore power

Good day,
I am converting a 2000 5 window Thomas with a 7.3 powerstroke on a ford cutaway f450 chassis.
Right now the AC condenser under the bus is hooked up and the one in front of the radiator is bypassed. Im not sure why.
What I would like to do is have the in-dash AC run off the engine compressor and use the under the hood condenser like a regular van. Then take the rear ceiling mounted unit and hook it up to a 110v compressor and use the under-the-bus condenser, so I can have AC when I am on shore power. Like a minisplit but using what is already there. When I am driving I want the cool air up front where the seats are and when I am parked I want it in back.
Has anyone done this before? Recommendations for what I would need for a compressor or any other challenges I will hit? I would love to find some sort of 'soft start' capacitor based system so when I am at music festivals on daisy chained extension cords I do not have a big current draw at startup
Thanks!

Jon

colorado_hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Short answer: No. Not really, but technically possible, yes, yet you'd probably be telling us how to accomplished it.

Converting factory ac to 110v (or your compressor only variation) is a common subject. CadilacKid has always done an excellent job of explaining the details and it's difficulties. I believe he could do it, perfectly & expensively, but not on an extension cord. Read the attached thread, his well versed post is #4, though, it's all good info.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f51/c...tor-17905.html

You'll find similar discussions using the search feature at the top of the page. I goolged
'factory ac to electric site:skoolie.net'
for the aformentioned thread.

*A 12g, 100' extension cord is a good, safe investment*
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote