Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #21
Bus Nut

I have a 4 window short bus with no dash air of any kind, and I foolishly ripped out the rear AC that ran off the engine. At first, I installed three 300 watt solar panels on my 3600w 24v electrical system, which powered a 5000 BTU window air conditioner that I installed in the front bulkhead near the ceiling.

It sucked. 5000 BTUs isn’t nearly enough to cool the bus down when driving, and the solar panels rarely produced enough juice to power it (driving under a tree would throw it out of whack, and my DIY battery bank couldn’t handle the load). I recommend not doing what I did.

So I had to replan my whole system. I hired a welder to install a hitch, which carries a bumper rack that holds a gasoline generator. This generator is plugged in to a 15,000 BTU roof top dometic air conditioner. I just got it installed yesterday and it kicked ass in 100+F heat. I have a baby so an appropriately cooked cabin is an absolute must.

I removed two solar panels leaving one, and put in some plug and play lithium batteries that work a lot better. When we don’t need the AC, then we’re just going to leave the bumper rack and generator home.

TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:13 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
I have a 4 window short bus with no dash air of any kind, and I foolishly ripped out the rear AC that ran off the engine. At first, I installed three 300 watt solar panels on my 3600w 24v electrical system, which powered a 5000 BTU window air conditioner that I installed in the front bulkhead near the ceiling.

It sucked. 5000 BTUs isnít nearly enough to cool the bus down when driving, and the solar panels rarely produced enough juice to power it (driving under a tree would throw it out of whack, and my DIY battery bank couldnít handle the load). I recommend not doing what I did.

So I had to replan my whole system. I hired a welder to install a hitch, which carries a bumper rack that holds a gasoline generator. This generator is plugged in to a 15,000 BTU roof top dometic air conditioner. I just got it installed yesterday and it kicked ass in 100+F heat. I have a baby so an appropriately cooked cabin is an absolute must.

I removed two solar panels leaving one, and put in some plug and play lithium batteries that work a lot better. When we donít need the AC, then weíre just going to leave the bumper rack and generator home.
Very nice followup to the general topic of AC. I also got a laugh out of your apparent typo ('cooked' not 'cooled').
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:42 PM   #23

School bus insurance in ontario

I truly need help in the area of insuring a 1994 short school bus I just got in an auction. Iíve spent all week calling, sending emails, leaving messages. When they answer, they flat out say: we donít do buses. They never reply, they never return an email. However, there has go to be a way!

So if anybody knows a broker, please, please let me know.
Mauricio8983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:43 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
check out what the big rigs use a "apu"
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote