Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2017, 01:47 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1999
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Running the Rear Heater

Well today was the first time I tried my heater. I didn't get the rear heater to come on. Didn't do any trouble shooting since I had company today. But for starters, I have only 3 switches for the system. 2 of the switches turned on the front heater/def and the other for the booster pump. Does anyone know if one or both switches should activate the rear heater? I know for sure that there are 2 fans in the front heater and each one will come on with one of the switches. By the way this is a 1999 Thomas RE. Thanks

budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by budbud7 View Post
Well today was the first time I tried my heater. I didn't get the rear heater to come on. Didn't do any trouble shooting since I had company today. But for starters, I have only 3 switches for the system. 2 of the switches turned on the front heater/def and the other for the booster pump. Does anyone know if one or both switches should activate the rear heater? I know for sure that there are 2 fans in the front heater and each one will come on with one of the switches. By the way this is a 1999 Thomas RE. Thanks
You have the same model of bus as me, but mine has four passenger heaters. Two right at the back, two arranged down the side and the front heater and defroster. All have separate switches plus the pump switch.

Was your rear heater getting warm. It would get quite hot even if it wasn't blowing hot air just from the coolant flowing through it. Unless you are actually driving, it does take a while to heat up.

Next check would be to see if power is reaching the fan motor with the switches in various positions.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Separate switches, and typically valves which may or may not be open.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
Almost There

Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Thanks for the replies. I will get back to the bus on Thursday. The water is valved out to the heaters. I was just checking the blowers out when I figured out that I didn't know how the system worked. I will check for power to rear blower with the switches on. I'll post my findings.
budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote