Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Skoolies "on the road" with mini splits - show me how you did it!

I'm having some serious issues trying to decide how to mount and position one or two mini splits in my 40' bus. I was hoping the users out there with "road worthy" rigs could show me what they've done - where you placed the inside unit, where and how you mounted the outside unit, and how effective it is in cooling/heating your bus.

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I have not done this yet, but on my bus the RE means there's a huge radiator screen, the back emergency window, another window on top the emergency window, all the safety lights and I added a tranny cooler on one side of the radiator.

I have no space along the sides due to my storage units.

But, I have "just" enough space to the right of the radiator screen to mount it, just above the bumper. I'd prefer it higher, to avoid as much dust and such from getting in the outside unit.

The evaporator will go on the inside, at the back, just below the ceiling.

I've seen many who have space along the side where they can cut an opening in their skirts.

I think this might be a good idea since you can more centrally place the evaporator inside.

Sometimes it's less about the best place to put it versus where you can put it.

Look forward to see what others have done.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I have not done this yet, but on my bus the RE means there's a huge radiator screen, the back emergency window, another window on top the emergency window, all the safety lights and I added a tranny cooler on one side of the radiator.

I have no space along the sides due to my storage units.

But, I have "just" enough space to the right of the radiator screen to mount it, just above the bumper. I'd prefer it higher, to avoid as much dust and such from getting in the outside unit.

The evaporator will go on the inside, at the back, just below the ceiling.

I've seen many who have space along the side where they can cut an opening in their skirts.

I think this might be a good idea since you can more centrally place the evaporator inside.

Sometimes it's less about the best place to put it versus where you can put it.

Look forward to see what others have done.

Yeah, I have a feeling I'll end up mounting them underneath, but I already see my underbelly mounting space getting smaller and smaller so I was really hoping to avoid putting the gigantic mini split units down there. I was hoping to have space to put the house battery bank and a generator box down there too (all between the two axles - fresh and grey water will go behind the rear axles) but I'm not sure that will work out since I have a Webasto down there already.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
just dont mount it someplace that will suck a lot of heat.. ie if the unit sucks its intake asir from around the engine compartment it will over heat and shut down.. it takes a good number of hours in the summer for the engine to cool down where theres no serious heat.. so if you want to be able to park the bus and fire up the A/C right away you'll want to be aware of where it gets its intake air or duct it such it sucks fresh air
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
just dont mount it someplace that will suck a lot of heat.. ie if the unit sucks its intake asir from around the engine compartment it will over heat and shut down.. it takes a good number of hours in the summer for the engine to cool down where theres no serious heat.. so if you want to be able to park the bus and fire up the A/C right away you'll want to be aware of where it gets its intake air or duct it such it sucks fresh air

I have a front engine and I'm thinking of putting them basically just forward of the rear wheels, so I should be good there, though I might have to do some sort of heat shield if one of them is near the exhaust. So many design constraints...if I was less safety minded I'd just block off the back door and hang them up back there!
Old 06-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
I have a front engine and I'm thinking of putting them basically just forward of the rear wheels, so I should be good there, though I might have to do some sort of heat shield if one of them is near the exhaust. So many design constraints...if I was less safety minded I'd just block off the back door and hang them up back there!

the exhaust shouldnt matter as the pipes cool down quick.. the muffler probably stays hot a little longer. (Or do like I did and delete the muffler)..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote