Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2022, 03:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Sliding AC--has anyone tried this?

Digcolnagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digcolnagos View Post
That's exactly what I have in mind for a small window-mount A/C to cool my bedroom! The middle of the three overhead cabinets above the bed will house the A/C, and it will be on a slide-mount to move it back into the outside air when I want to run it. I'll have a small top-hinged door on the outside that will open when the A/C is pushed out, but when it's closed the A/C will be completely hidden from view. I'll make the A/C's mount and air plenum from stainless steel and aluminum, like everything else inside the bus.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:39 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
There are "wall mount" AC units available and metal enclosures for them. You can mount a "wall mount" unit enclosure so that it is flush with the outside wall and not have to worry about sliding things in and out.

The only advantage I can see with building a sliding unit is if it clears up space on the interior. Perhaps I haven't thought of all the possibilities?
As for mounting it in a cabinet that hides it and then pushing it out, you can't then put anything in that cabinet or you'd be blocking the incoming cool air. I think a wall mount with enclosure might be a better bet.
Come to think of it, sliding one out to get counter space would mean not much could go on the counter. Though it you're prepping food on that spot I suppose you'd never get hot.
Am I missing something?
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:38 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
There are "wall mount" AC units available and metal enclosures for them. You can mount a "wall mount" unit enclosure so that it is flush with the outside wall and not have to worry about sliding things in and out.

The only advantage I can see with building a sliding unit is if it clears up space on the interior. Perhaps I haven't thought of all the possibilities?
As for mounting it in a cabinet that hides it and then pushing it out, you can't then put anything in that cabinet or you'd be blocking the incoming cool air. I think a wall mount with enclosure might be a better bet.
Come to think of it, sliding one out to get counter space would mean not much could go on the counter. Though it you're prepping food on that spot I suppose you'd never get hot.
Am I missing something?
a cheap window ac and heavy duty drawer slides you're looking at $200, the wall units start about $600. Then you have to mount it, with his method you could take it in and out in about 10 minutes for 3 seasons and still have that window/space for 8-9 months of the year
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:38 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post

Am I missing something?

Advantages I see:

1. Thievery. If you slide it inside the bus when not needed, it's harder to steal.

2. No holes in bus. This seems an easy--comparatively--install.

The 6,000 BTU unit I've ordered for $200 is 11.13 inches high, 17.31 inches wide and 14.38 inches in depth. While every square inch is precious, I think I can live with giving up this much space.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:00 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
what is your idea for flashing it in while in use?
and have re-usable flashing and still be able to raise and lower that window?
on a skoolie nothing easy is ever a perfect fit.
sealed for going down the road and sealed why A/C is deployed?
more than just slides going on there.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #7
Skoolie

you slide it in and close the window when youre driving. You can shove anything in the gaps, cut some foamboard to fit maybe? use whatever you find at Home D? I feel like the wood frame is really unnecesary, you just need a cabinet or shelf to mount the slides imo.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:21 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
slide whatever in?
it is already undersized?
any help you can give it?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:39 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
slide whatever in?
it is already undersized?
any help you can give it?
yeah I mean obviously it's not gonna cool your bus down to 65, it's mainly gonna just dehumidify and cool it down 5-7 degrees maybe in a shorty. Just something to make it tolerable on those muggy nights?
Old 08-07-2022, 08:16 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchy View Post
you slide it in and close the window when youre driving. You can shove anything in the gaps, cut some foamboard to fit maybe? use whatever you find at Home D? I feel like the wood frame is really unnecesary, you just need a cabinet or shelf to mount the slides imo.
Agree on frame being unnecessary--seems something to put a microwave on. Then again, I have a microwave.

With or without frame/shelf/microwave, seems a solution, space allowing. I probably should have mentioned, this bus will not be going down many roads in the next 1-2 years. It will be a live-aboard.