Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: Standard Appliances vs RV Appliances

well rv appliances can work off the grid sorta speak. if you got a gas oven that would work. the fridge might be another story. would need to find a propane fridge. Also i have seen walmart sell these very small washing machines. if you dont have park water/sewer though that is alot of water usage!

Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Skoolie

Gas appliances may not have all the safety features, I honestly have no idea. Common sense just tells me that a gas appliance made for a house, might not be made to deal with constant moving. I don't have a single gas appliance in my rv, so I honestly haven't researched that much.

We have a full-sized fridge, and one of those washer/dryer machines. For the fridge, I'd recommend getting a side-by-side. I have one with the freezer on top, which makes the doors wider. Can be hard to open if your space is limited. For the washer/dryer, be careful as the dryer part of it may use a LOT of water. They're designed to go in apartments with no washer/dryer hookups, so to dry they often use water to cool the drum, and condense the water. If buying new, I'd get one that vents like a normal dryer would. If buying used...I guess you'd take what you can get. Mine uses 220v and water to dry...means I have to be hooked up to septic (or allowed to let gray water drain) and have 220v...for more flexibility I would have gotten a 110v (takes longer to dry, but it'll work anywhere) and one that vented. Just to give you an idea, I think it uses about 16 or so gallons just to dry. Maybe a few gallons to wash, it's pretty conservative in that respect.

As for a stove, if you're considering going electric, note that the biggest power outlet you'll find at an RV park would be a 50amp 220v. Coincidentally, the outlet is the exact same as for a stove (which would require 50amp 220v). If you're going gas, then that would be a non-issue. I'd double-check, but a google search shows that a gas stove would only require a basic 110v connection.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We have standard fridge (undercounter 3 cf) and a standard freezer (undercounter 4 cf) built into the Class C. We replaced our LP/AC RV fridge with them. I like to have a freezer. We sometimes run the generator while traveling if we need to leave the appliances on. Chilled down and kept closed, we can travel up to 8 hours in 90 degree weather without power before the units start warming up (we keep a indoor/outdoor thermometer in the freezer). When we came out west (in July thru TX... almost two weeks on the road) we ran the generator because we had "product" in our freezer frozen solid (and it stayed frozen until we could set back up to sell in NM).

For the bus... I have my home 30" LP glass-topped range that requires a 110VAC electric to keep the electronics & igniters working. We will install the small household upright freezer we brought out here along with another "undercounter" 4 cf refrigerator... and a standard 24" dishwasher (and that ain't me!!). RV appliances are terribly inefficient when it comes to energy use. There's a reason why you don't see energy ratings on them. Biggest thing about home appliances is that they tend to be bigger (which is why so many DIY Coach converters use household refrigerators) and you have to get creative to hold the suckers to the walls/floors in case you roll your conversion.

I can just barely fit one of those big Take 'n Bake pizzas from Sam's Club in my tiny (24" wide... the "big one") LP (RV) range and only then if I place it directly on the oven rack with out a pan. And I have to make sure that my unglazed tile (4 quarry tiles in my case) is put place before I crank up the oven otherwise it heats unevenly. The only difference between the RV range and the other gas ranges I've owned over the past 30+ year is the RV range is probably the worst one I've had (and that includes the crappy 24" apartment size range I had in my first house).

And I will have a regular front loading washer & LP gas dryer (only LP... you will have a hard time getting an electric unit to dry well as they often end up only using 1 electric element instead of the normal two... means it take 2 to 3 times as long to dry your clothes). I keep hearing stuff about the Splendide. Awfully pricey for something that takes all night to dry a small load of clothes. Watch the RV forums... I've seen several given away for free.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

My B-700 had a 3-way (LP/120V/12V) reefer, an apartment-sized gas stove converted to propane (and a vent hood converted to 12V)...no washer/dryer. Any RV washer/dryer WILL need shore power of a running genset and either gargantuan water tanks or water/sewer hookups.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Do a search for WonderWasher here. I have one and posted on it's use. It's a handy little gizmo. Even with a standard washer/dryer, I would still keep my little WonderWasher. It's really good to do long overnight soak/washes for really grubby stuff... like the "cart rags" that we use on our food cart. BUT we cannot wash/line dry any of the cloths we use in the food prep area. Only the cloths we use to wipe down the exterior surfaces. It's health regulations. All "linens" used in food service must be washed & dried by machine. So I MUST have a washing machine and a dryer... oh darn
Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURA VIDA
I really don't like the idea of having a huge appliance fall on top of anyone in the event that we did roll or tip, how would you secure that to the bus?? And I hate the idea of having to go to a campsite to wash clothing if we find an awesome boondocking site and don't want to leave. I think we will keep the RV fridge, keep the oven/stove, and we are still debating on whether or not to get a washing machine. While I am spoiled and used to only having to handwash a few of my linens, I may have to sacrifice a little bit of energy and time for the option of more freedom and space with a hand cranked washer and wringer...decision, decisions, so many decisions.
The counter I built the stove into had a heavy steel brace in it...the stove was attatched to the brace. It wasn't and isn't going ANYPLACE.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Bus Geek

It really depends on how you use stuff. For us, the HUGE refrigerator and tiny freezer just doesn't work too well. When we lived in a house, my refrigerator was almost empty and my huge freezer was packed. I like to freeze meals and extra stuff (I used to cook Oven Rice up in huge batches to seal up and freeze). I was fond of having "fend for yourself" nights when it came to supper and having lots of precooked meals in the freezer was great. I'm NOT a domestic diva!!!! So a small 4 cf refrigerator is plenty of fridge space and a 12 cf freezer works for us. And I still have my 30" gas range that bakes sooo well. So no sense in buying another stove. I do need to get a automatic dishwasher hopefully off Craig's List or in a thrift store CHEAP! I've yet to figure out how to get anything off the Freecycle lists... Apparently you have to be the neediest respondent, not the first?

I've been using a 24" wide RV range for 4 years now. I hate the RV oven! They all cook unevenly. You have to keep a baking stone or unglazed tile in the bottom to even out the heat. Otherwise you burn the bottom of everything. I was baking brownies to sell off the food cart while in Corpus. I have the bottom of the RV oven lined with Quarry tiles (took 4 to cover the bottom and still allow the openings to stay uncovered) then I have to place the brownie pan (heavy commercial grade pan) on an AirBake insulated cookie sheet in order to get them cooked up right. With 8 people you may want to keep the full size range. It's hard to fit big pots and skillets on little RV range tops. And with the ranges... there's only a 6" difference.

When the girls were little, we camped in an old Apache pop-up, also stayed for a month in it while house hunting in SC. We gave the girls tub baths in those Rubbermaid storage totes (the big deep ones)... and the canoe . We would fill the tubs (or canoe) with water in the morning and let it sit in the sun to warm the water up. Then in the late afternoon, the girls would take a bath. Dumping the water out of the canoe was a PITA.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 82
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummins 5.9l
Rated Cap: 72

I opted for 110v everything since I planned on living on a lot with hookups. I had planned on having 3 occupants, so I selected the biggest refrigerator/freezer I could get in the door and so far it's been fine. Sometimes it's full, but mostly not. I also went with countertop appliances... two burner hot plate, microwave, countertop convection oven, and a george foreman knockoff. With a wok and a saucepan, I can make some great stuff.

I had thought about going with house and RV appliances but I didn't want to have to find something that fit in the hole when something died... with a countertop appliance, I am open to anything. I would have probably gone with RV stuff if I had planned to be more mobile, but I didn't want to install and maintain 3 systems. I also opted against anything gas inside because I am quite competent with electricity and not so much with invisible stuff that kills you in your sleep.

Cookies suck in the toaster oven, though... you either get them burnt on top or burnt on bottom.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURA VIDA
...The propane tank installer also said my oven had the old style thermostat in it, and it can't be replaced if it fails; I will have to get a new oven. Hrm.

Lily
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...pair-parts.htm
Old 07-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily
...The reason he said it cannot be replaced is due to an EPA regulation regarding mercury....
That doesn't make sense. I'm pretty sure that there must be an replacement for that. I'll bet there was a "recall" and they have a replacement part that is mercury free. You might have to replace the knob, thermostat and sensor all as one piece. Check with PPL. Nothing to loose.