Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   School Bus Conversion Resources > Skoolie Tech > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450 #Vanlife
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 25
Starting with the basic considerations of heat/cooling while driving, not parked

My intent is dual mini splits. We also intend to be shore powered/hooked up probably 75% of the time in the bus (full time use). So, optimizing for that condition seems best.

Mini splits I've looked at have heat pumps, so I'm assuming this would be adequate for the space. Dual 12k units for cooling, will hopefully be adequate.

My question comes to the point I am at now. My bus is from Kentucky...no on board a/c, but has on board heat. This is a rear engine bus, so coolant lines run up through the floor, and interface with one rear exchange unit/fan, then forward to another, then forward again to a front unit.

Temptation is to remove it all of course, have that clean slate BUT, sensibility says though, when I'm driving in cold conditions, it may be a regret. Clearly the exchangers are the cheapest possible. I'm wondering has anyone considered converting these to low profile baseboard heat, to be less imposing? I could fab a surround to the existing coil and essentially build a unit, but has anyone found anything like I describe?

RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Is what you are thinking of similar to the look of an electric baseboard heater? Many homes have these radiators for heating and are heated by usually an oil-fired burner. I have a home down east with them and they do give a really nice heat. They come in different lengths too so are versatile that way. Perhaps talk to a heating and cooling contractor to see what is available.
I like the fact that they are silent in operation and are just plumbed in series but you could use a controlled manifold for different zones if you wish.

John