Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	59114
I kept both of mine and the ducts too. One is in a closet but one is sticking out as you can see.

I plan to chase better weather also. But there is a lot of local driving here in New Orleans. Can you drive around Las Vegas in your car without AC?

Peace y’all

Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #22
Bus Nut

I removed mine and regret it. When we're driving, it gets so damn hot that you need a ridiculous BTU unit to cool off.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:43 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Attachment 59114
I kept both of mine and the ducts too. One is in a closet but one is sticking out as you can see.

I plan to chase better weather also. But there is a lot of local driving here in New Orleans. Can you drive around Las Vegas in your car without AC?

Peace y’all
I lived in central FL for four years, two years in houses with no AC and the whole time with a car that technically had AC but I couldn't use it if I wanted to actually accelerate. Some people are more tolerant of heat than others. I personally can't bear being even a little bit cold.

Your build looks fantastic, I don't think I've ever seen it before.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:35 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
another instance of crappy central Ohio drivers today... weather was starting to get pretty warm .I think it was mid 80s by then (headed for 94 is what it got later) but id been driving over town with the driver window and first 3 on each side down .. runnin up the freeway and BAM.. dead stopped traffic.. on a sunday? yep.. then the inevitable 3 police cars going up the berm.. the sun baking, no breeze and semi truck on one side of me and a couple harleys on the other.. it started gettong hot real fast.. sure was nice to put the parking brake on, go close up all the windows and relax in the cool air working on my computer for the next hour when they backed us all baclwards eventually off the freeway.. where we could then wind around to find our own way... that woulda totally sucked without my A/C cranked...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:57 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Thank you all for the amazing replies! We're definitely keeping the factory AC now - if we find we never use it after the first year we'll talk about removing / replacing.
I've given the housing a paint job, and am going to replace some of the ugly parts with something a little nicer to the eye.
As Cadillackid pointed out - we're looking at mini-split hose ducts to route the cold air from the back to front of the bus. There are a few kits on the 'zon that are affordable and look like they have everything I'll need. I'll post a write-up on that if it goes well

We're looking at portable units now - that way we wont have to cut any additional holes in the bus, and can keep the AC unit stored when not in-use. We should have enough space in the under-bed garage for it.

Also still thinking about an rooftop RV unit, the price is a bit off-putting - we're already getting close to the initial budget due to increased lumber prices - but I like the idea of the AC being out of the way. With a portable unit we're going to have to give up some floor space or throw it up on a counter when we're parked and plugged in.

We wont have enough battery to run the AC, so we'll be relying on shore power.

Y'all have been truly helpful - again! Happy 4th to everyone!!!
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:44 AM   #26
Bus Geek

If you look into portable units be sure to only consider 2 hose models. Those models suck outside air in blow it over the condenser and then blow it back out the other hose. The model I have even slugs tge condensate water over the condenser so I don’t have a pan to empty.

Single hose models waste part of the cool air in your house as irs exhausted out the hose. Since it’s not directly sucked in for that purpose it means some of the inside cool air is sent back out.

Portables are nice for spot cooling but a comparable rated minisplit will blow it out of the water in performance. A minisplit has the advantage of being a heater also for anything efficiently down to 30f or so
Old 07-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
2003, we converted a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
Prior to choosing this rig, we developed our RequirementsStatement... including 'follow the weather'.
Our summers are usually up some half-abandoned logger track to some remote mountain lakes, or sometimes the Oregon coast.
Winters are usually on isolated Baja beaches.
In nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, we used the factory air-conditioning exactly never.
At this point, I would need to study the buttons and knobs to get it to turn 'on'.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
If you look into portable units be sure to only consider 2 hose models. Those models suck outside air in blow it over the condenser and then blow it back out the other hose. The model I have even slugs tge condensate water over the condenser so I don’t have a pan to empty.

Single hose models waste part of the cool air in your house as irs exhausted out the hose. Since it’s not directly sucked in for that purpose it means some of the inside cool air is sent back out.

Portables are nice for spot cooling but a comparable rated minisplit will blow it out of the water in performance. A minisplit has the advantage of being a heater also for anything efficiently down to 30f or so
Thank you for the info on the portable, I will definitely make note of that.

The heat option on the minisplit has me really thinking about that now - we will have to look at costs of course.

My hesitation with minisplit, aside from price, is that the install looks pretty intense at first glance. I will definitely do some more research, but how doable is this for a first timer? Would it be more beneficial to fork out the extra cabbage and hire an HVAC tech to install?
Old 07-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #29
Bus Geek

planning for a mini is the biggest part of the install.. where to mount the outdoor unit.. you want to mount it away from heat sources like the engine (or if its near duct it so it sucjs fresh air).. has to be upright cant be layed down.. the indoor units come in variety of different types from the traditional hang on a wall (most put them on a bulkhead or interior wall they have built).. to indoor units designed to be concealed away but need ample clearances to do that and duct them.. tghe easiest being the standard wall hung inside unit.

running the freon lines is probably the single hardest part once you plan your mounting and execute esp the outdoor unit for any fab work you need to get it set up...

the lines are 2 soft copper tubes that are flexible however you want to plan for as few bends as possible and the least sharp bends possible.. since the lines are designed to be run outside in a normal building you can pretty much run them wherever you like,,

connecting the lines up is by a flare connection.. I put a little HVAC sealant on the mating ends of the flares and tighten them up being careful not to honk down on them so hard they break..

wiring.. from the main panel you'll run your power (preferrably a 120 volt model) down to the outdoor unit.. a single cable runs from the outdoor to the indoor unit.. those connections are either by quick connect or screw terminals.. easy..

they come pre charged with freon.. me being an HVAC guy I prefer to vac them down to 500 microns and then open the valves which charges the system... others have used cheapie vacuum pumps or even none at all and they seem to work just fine...

finding an HVAC tech or company to install a unit in a bus will be tough.. they wont likely want the publicity, liability, etc if the whole thing goes kablooey.. you may find a handyman that has done minisplits before that you can hire to do the install if you dont want to attempt it..

agaun biggest thing being planning first where and how you'll mount both pieces of kit and the pathway your freon lines will take.. the nice thing is the holes are small in the bus compared to shoving a window unit ot using a portable which requires a piece made for a window or a wall-hole etc..
Old 07-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I lived in central FL for four years, two years in houses with no AC and the whole time with a car that technically had AC but I couldn't use it if I wanted to actually accelerate. Some people are more tolerant of heat than others. I personally can't bear being even a little bit cold.

Thanks!

Yeah, I didn’t do a build thread. When I finish, in a few weeks, I may do a post with a photo blast as we leave town.
I’ve seen a couple of others do that.

[emoji3522]
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah, I didn’t do a build thread. When I finish, in a few weeks, I may do a post with a photo blast as we leave town.

[emoji3522]
I prefer to hit people with a steady stream of small blows.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post

I hate being cold too.. **BUT** driving a bus in the freeway heat of even the midwest and esp the south in summer?? forget it.. so here is how it goes for me..

my house? A/C is off until its maybe an hour before bed or reaches upper 80s inside

my Jeep? doors off top off.. sometimes top stays up just enough to be an umbrella... cruise around town that way all the time even on mid 90s humid days

me? outside all day long doing my work, writing code sitting on the patios of coffee shops or in city parks.. laptop usually overheats before I do..

winter? heat cranked to the max all the time in the house, cars, bus, etc..

Driving the bus in anything above 80 out? windows closed every A/C I have in the thing blastin on Super maximum vortex Mode.... buy a bus without A/C? I add it the moment I get it home... even my 1965 Fishbowl has it and im plotting a way to add it into my 1978 Superior so it looks original to the bus..
Old 07-06-2021, 10:34 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Thanks!

[emoji3522]
I can't wait for the photos. It looks like to did a NICE build.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:33 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Attachment 59114

Peace y’all
Wow!
Dave I'm sure that's the first time I've seen this pic of your bus, that is absolutely gorgeous.
Cheers to you
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:38 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Attachment 59114

Peace y’all

WOW!! this is my kind of build!!! actually feels modern instead of country.. im digging this big time!
Old 08-09-2021, 08:43 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
your evaporator unit is a 3 motor 6 blower system. you can cover each one of those square openings and seal off to a duct and it will generate pretty decent static pressure and volume.. the blowers are pretty powerful.. if you need more air I have a part number someplace of a more powerful motor.. also you may find that the "black" wire for the blower speeds was not wired.. the black wire bypasses the resistor packs completely and is a Super-speed.. the EM-1 i added to my DEV bus uses black for high speed and it moves lots of air.. you may need a larger feed wire if you use the black speed (I ran 4 gauge to my 4 blower unit and it has very little voltage drop)..
CadillacKid, question(s) for you - I just fired up the bus and tested out the factory AC.One half (passenger) blows cold almost instantly, the other half starts to cool down after about 5 minutes but still warm-ish air. (There are 2 "radiator" units behind the blowers.)

When checking wires behind the unit, this first orange wire is HOT to the touch, like burn your fingers hot.

First Q: Do you have any recommendation to get the other side of the unit blowing cold?
Second Q: Why the hell do you think that wire is so hot? Any advice to tame the beast?
Happy to take more photos if needed - this goes without saying, but I really appreciate all of the info you've shared on this forum - it has been a huge help to have you out there with knowledge willing to share!

EDIT: forgot the picture
Attached Thumbnails
20210809_183343.jpg  
Old 08-09-2021, 09:40 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
CadillacKid, question(s) for you - I just fired up the bus and tested out the factory AC.One half (passenger) blows cold almost instantly, the other half starts to cool down after about 5 minutes but still warm-ish air. (There are 2 "radiator" units behind the blowers.)

When checking wires behind the unit, this first orange wire is HOT to the touch, like burn your fingers hot.

First Q: Do you have any recommendation to get the other side of the unit blowing cold?
Second Q: Why the hell do you think that wire is so hot? Any advice to tame the beast?
Happy to take more photos if needed - this goes without saying, but I really appreciate all of the info you've shared on this forum - it has been a huge help to have you out there with knowledge willing to share!

EDIT: forgot the picture
I am not as knowledgeable as Cadillackid but I can try to answer your questions. If each evaporator is has separate lines to its own compressor it may be that half of the system is low on refrigerant.

The hot wire could be several things. I would first check to see if it is hottest at the crimped terminal. A bad connection there could generate extra heat. If the wire seems to be warm a good distance from any connector. I would suspect a component drawing more currant than it should or short. However if the wire is carrying more currant than it should I would think that a fuse on that curcuit would have blown. Also check your blowers and see if they turn freely. Added resistance from being dirty or a bad bearing would cause a motor to draw more currant.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:52 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Tjones has it right.. the EM-3 evaporator has 2 separate A/C systems within it so a side nit blowing full cold could be l;ow on freon or maybe the underside fans are not running correeclty or dirty coils outside for that one system..

that orange wire is the MAIN blower wire feeding the resistor pack for high speed.. either one or more of ther blower motors are failing and pulling more current than they should.. ie bearings going, windings have too much resistance.. or like Tjones said the terminals could be not making great connection.. id bet a good first step is to see if you can clean up the terminals on those blocks and see if its any better..

those resistor blocks themselves can get pretty hot.. that orange wire looks like a single 10 gauge feed wire.. thats pushing it for 3 motors.. I ran a #8 for my 2 motor system...

I tried to attach the wiring diagram of what I believe you have installed.. a carrier EM-3 I believe inside unit.. someplace will be the relay panel thats referenced in the bottom of the drawing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 10.49.13 PM.png
Views:	14
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	60252
Old 08-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #39
Bus Nut

TJones and CadillacKid - thank you both so much!

I'll do another round of diagnostics to check the underside fans, interior blowers, and will clean up those terminals behind the unit.

It might be a day or two, but I'll keep you posted!

Old 08-10-2021, 07:51 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Attachment 59114

Peace y’all
Dave
Please stop posting this picture, you're making me feel very inadequate and my wife very envious
Once again, absolutely awesome skills man
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote