Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2021, 02:24 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Using coolant lines with after-market heaters

It seems like a lot of people remove their interior heaters and loop the coolant lines behind the driver or at the engine, losing this option for heat. They just let the lines loop back to their source without using them. I have not, however, found any discussions about utilizing this efficient heat source for the build.

Would it be possible to hook up the coolant lines to after-market heaters that are smaller or more efficient than the original heat exchangers? Has anyone put in a custom solution to make use of these coolant lines for interior heating?

(I am aware that these only heat while the engine is running. I’m talking about a supplemental heat source.)

Thank you!

jsweet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:30 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

For instance, something like this Jegs auxiliary heater assembly: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performa...BoCgfQQAvD_BwE
Old 08-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Why do you think that is any more efficient than a stock heater, it is pretty much the same thing? All a heater is, is a air to water heat exchanger with a fan. If you don't like the box build a different one around it.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Why do you think that is any more efficient than a stock heater, it is pretty much the same thing? All a heater is, is a air to water heat exchanger with a fan. If you don't like the box build a different one around it.
I’m not really questioning whether the stock heater or an after-market one is more efficient. I’m interested in whether other people attached heaters to the coolant lines after getting rid of the stock heaters.

I didn’t like the size of the stock heaters, so I’m wondering if there are some other types out there that are tried and true, that other converters have used for the same reason.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet89 View Post
I’m not really questioning whether the stock heater or an after-market one is more efficient. I’m interested in whether other people attached heaters to the coolant lines after getting rid of the stock heaters.

I didn’t like the size of the stock heaters, so I’m wondering if there are some other types out there that are tried and true, that other converters have used for the same reason.
Their size is what made them so efficient. A smaller one would not be as efficient. Most get rid of them due to their size requirement. Also, they are basically oly used while running. They get replaced with something that can be used when parked.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:42 PM   #6

same page, I think.its a great idea. I am working on my bus and had the same thought. I started looking for answers landed me here. I think it will work, that same energy heated the bus before with less insulation.
Doogie150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie150 View Post
same page, I think.its a great idea. I am working on my bus and had the same thought. I started looking for answers landed me here. I think it will work, that same energy heated the bus before with less insulation.
Insulation needs are different than what was needed to keep the bus 20* higher than ambient for 45 minutes, twice a day, than what one wants for staying in one.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Ive done a lot of that! the stock bus heaters usually work fine but like the underseat heaters are large and use blade fans vs blowers.. these make MUCH more noise than a blower-based aftermarket heater.. I replaced my little rear underseat heater that was nothing but a sound factory wit ha nice Jegs unit that is quieter and moves twice the heat. the stock dashboard heaters and defrosters are generally really good barring any issues.. they are almost always dirt-caked and the blower motors are sometimes dying.. but its not too bad to clean them up put on a new motor and you have a really great front heating system. I replaced one of mine with a heat / cool box so i could have dash air and dehumidified defrost air..

I have a diesel heater for supplemental heat so when im parkeed I can use the same heat exchangers to keep the inside of the bus warm (and pre heat the engine since it has no glow plugs) ..

theres not a lot of gain in efficiency as somewhereinusa mentioned an aftermarket heater is the same as a bus heater in that its a coil with a blower.. but ive found aftermarket heaters to be easily ductable and much quieter.. I run my system as a parallel flow so one heater with smaller pipes cant bottleneck the whole system.
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Now I see why its a great idea cadillackid, great!

This bus had an extra 12v pump between the heat exchange units, maybe they all do? The pump was shot and line after the pump was plugged with black mud. Bet them kids were chilly on a -25 degree Minnesota morning.
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:54 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
I'm getting ready to buy a heater for the passenger area of my bus. The stock unit just takes up too much space. So my question is; The after market heaters have 5/8" water hose connections, are you guys reducing the bus hoses with a 1' x 5/8" elbow behind the heater?
If not, please explain what you did.
Thanks.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:48 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I am looking into getting an after market heater for the passanger area of my bus. Can I ask what one you went with? Also, did you remove your large AC? If so, what did you do to replace the defrost?
Shantimoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:38 PM   #12
Bus Geek

LEAVE the OEM rioght side heater / defroster.. dont take that one out .. if you need that wee extra little storage that you lose from it then lose some stuff or buy a bigger bus.. that one is a defrost unit it will affect your visibility and its a big one because it takes a lot to defrost a bus windshield and the door and heat the step-well.. by the time you install aftermarket heaters you will have used as much space..

to the guy asking about taking out the A/C.. Dont... unless you plan to replace it with sweat rags on your forehead for your summer drives.. your camping A/C wont come close to the power that system does for while you are on the road.. if you are hyper-insulating your bus thenb move one of the units to the front and maybe you can get rid of one of them..
Old 09-23-2022, 05:52 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimoves View Post
I am looking into getting an after market heater for the passanger area of my bus. Can I ask what one you went with? Also, did you remove your large AC? If so, what did you do to replace the defrost?
I removed one of the large A/C units...{the one in the back)
kept the A/C unit mounted just behind the drivers seat...should be sufficient to cool the passenger area while driving.

I purchased Jegs 9" heater. It was about $200...
I hope to install it sometime next week, it is intended to help keep the passenger area comfortable while driving and will be mounted under the bench seat in the passenger area, using the original hoses that went to the rear bus heater I did not remove the heat/defrost system from the dash.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:58 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
I removed one of the large A/C units...{the one in the back)
kept the A/C unit mounted just behind the drivers seat...should be sufficient to cool the passenger area while driving.

I purchased Jegs 9" heater. It was about $200...
I hope to install it sometime next week, it is intended to help keep the passenger area comfortable while driving and will be mounted under the bench seat in the passenger area, using the original hoses that went to the rear bus heater I did not remove the heat/defrost system from the dash.

thats what I did, used my original rear lines to connect to my JEGS heater. . my original rear underseat heater made a lot of noise and didnt blow much air.. the back of the bus had to be freezing for the kids in the winter.. even after I restored the heater..

the Jegs heater BLASTS heat back there and its quieter... plus you can duct them (hide the heater and put in directable vents)
Old 09-24-2022, 10:51 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
thats what I did, used my original rear lines to connect to my JEGS heater. . my original rear underseat heater made a lot of noise and didnt blow much air.. the back of the bus had to be freezing for the kids in the winter.. even after I restored the heater..

the Jegs heater BLASTS heat back there and its quieter... plus you can duct them (hide the heater and put in directable vents)
That is good to know for future reference, Christopher. Thanx!
I left my rear heater unmolested, and built my sleeping pallet/surplus storage around and over it (with the dunny adjoining it) thinking that one day I might not be in Hell's Right Armpit (Texas), and supplemental engine heat could come in handy.
It has not, after 5 year here, to date...
But this sounds like an awesome option! [emoji106]
Old 09-24-2022, 11:53 AM   #16
Bus Geek

And here is me living in a state where the windshield wipers and heaters get used far more than the sunglasses and air conditioners .. far far opposite of my comfort zone.. in which I’d be happy if I never used the heaters
Old 09-24-2022, 01:12 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I reckon we must agree to disagree regarding acceptable temperature ranges:
Following my 15+ years living in NH, which added to and further conditioned my native predilection to prefer Iow temperatures over (under? [emoji848]) high temps.
In such sub-optimal conditions, I may at least layer up on garb. And definitely don gloves if it is particularly nipply.
In the hot, I can only strip off so far before finding myself running the risk of being cited for 'inadequate' exposure...
Which, with minimally adequate precautions consciously taken, I consider that gamble to be a tenable one.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #18
Bus Geek

layering up is a bad thing to me.. I HATE BUNDLING up.. with a passion.. and living in a cool climate seems every place I try and go out and enjoy.. its 55 outside and the A/C is running full-blast inside.. "oh the kitchen employees are hot...its so hard to make expresso shots I might sweat".. so everyone in the dining room has to sit on their hands rather than enjoy the atmosphere..

well thats in the great lajkes region anyway.. seems down south the A/C gets used more reasonably.. you blast it when its in the 90s.. but shut the damn thing off when its in the 60s or 70s... (it was 42 yesterday morning here and yep the coffee shop had the air rippin...)...

I just hate not being able to escape the cold unless i want to stay in my boring lonely house.... at least in warm climate if its too cold inside I can go out and thaw.... or just never go in to begin with
Old 09-25-2022, 11:52 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

I wasn't planning on taking anything out of the Dash area. I don't really know how these systems work. I just assumed that it may not work now. Because after I removed my rear-heater no more hot are came out the dash vents. I'm in a 22' Chevy Collins for reference. Thanks for the information!
Shantimoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #20
Bus Geek

when you remove a rear unit you have to analyze how the original system was set up.. if it was a series system.. meaning the coolant comes out of the dash heater then feeds into the rear and out the rear back to the dash.. and you remove the rear and cap off the lines then your dash heater will fail to work as no circulation can occur.. in that case you would loop your rear feed lines together.. or better way would be to bypass them altogether so you take both engine connections to the heating system and connect them to the dashboard heater core (like a regular chevy van would have)

Tags
coolant heater, heater, heater removal, heaters, heating options